Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stand mount ideas for miniature omnis (dpa 4061s, etc)  (Read 5029 times)

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
Stand mount ideas for miniature omnis (dpa 4061s, etc)
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:03:16 PM »
a while back, i posted some of my ideas and photos for constructing some kind of reasonable stand mounting concepts for miniature omnis, in my case, a pair of DPA 4061s.  the original thread was:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=132139.msg1734320#msg1734320

my ideas were, unfortunately, stupid and not sturdy and generally ugly and unsophisticated.

has anyone come up with an elegant solution to stand mount miniature omnis?  thanks for any ideas - pictures and details would be appreciated.

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Stand mount ideas for miniature omnis (dpa 4061s, etc)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »
this is what i always did. if your dpas came with the magnet mounts, your set. if not, get them. go to the hardware store and pick up a 3' wooden dowel whose diameter closely matches that of the magnet mount. i cant remember right off hand if it was the 1/2" or not. you'll know when you see it. glue a metal washer to each end of the dowel, spray paint it black if you wish, find a spare shockmount sitting around, build up the 2" in the middle of the dowel so it fits snugly in your shockmount and pop it in. done!
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »
Maybe someday I'll get around to taking pics of what I've done but until then I will just describe what I did for my AT853's.

1. Bought a pair of Schoeps SGC clips, a Vark bar, a Joe Meek shockmount and a roll of 2" wide gaffer's tape.
2. Wrapped gaffer's tape around the cable right near the base of the 853 body until it was thick enough to slide snugly into the SGC. Effectively I "extended" the body of the mic by 2" with the tape.
3. For my next evolution I am planning to unwrap about one thickness of the tape and put some heatshrink over the remaining tape to further secure the mic body/tape combo together. Also I'd like to make some marks on this "extension" and on the Vark bar to denote the various angles and distances for different mic configs.

I had my doubts about how robust this method would be. After I was done I set everything up just as I would if taping a show. I grabbed my mic stand and shook it hard in midair (harder than it would ever get rocked during a show) and nothing budged at all.

jnorman34

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:38:22 PM »
thanks for your comments.  i would like to devise some kind of "body" for the small capsules so they can be mounted via a regular mic clip, sort of like what was just described by building up a body with gaffers tape, but with a more solid material.  in my earlier post, i included some pics of some "ray gun" type bodies that i had assembled.  i would like something like that but more sturdy and elegant - perhaps something that looks sort of like a DPA 4091 body.  i thought about some kind of tapered nose cone, like the plastic top like they use on model rockets, or something like that but made of metal.  any other ideas/concepts?

jnorman34

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:09 PM »
here is a link to a photo of gray nose cones made for model rockets that has a similar shape and appearance to the DPA 4090/4091 bodies:
https://www.discountrocketry.com/nose-cones---transistions/estes-nc56-nose-cone-pack-p-636.html

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:52:39 PM »
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »
I've over-documented many different of ways of mounting the DPA minatures in my oddball mic techniques thread, which might be of interest to you. Gaff tape + telescopic TV antennas or TiG welding rods has worked great for me.

Here's a few photos linked from that thread-

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:29:09 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
What is in the second to last picture?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 05:13:35 PM »
Same rig in the last 4 photos.  Surround recording rig with four 4060s on telescopic TV antennas in mounted in little sphere-baffle mounts.

The second to last photo also shows another rig with DAT recorder sitting on the lip.. & Jim Weider playing guitar with his Project Percolator.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »
FYI The tripods you can get for satallite dishes work great to put painters pole in. Its not as convenient as a stand but will do the job.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 06:02:50 PM »
FYI The tripods you can get for satallite dishes work great to put painters pole in. Its not as convenient as a stand but will do the job.

I knew a guy that did that with a photo tripod with the top tube removed.  The painter pole slipped right in.  When I used the painter pole in the top photo above years ago, I picked that pole because it fit perfectly into the back support tube of a couple folding chairs I have.  I could leave chairs at different stages at outdoor fests and just carry the pole back and forth with the arms folded in without breaking down the rig.  I revived the portable painter pole idea again this spring for the Tetramic>R44, but this time I hung it from the top pin of standard stands which supported my regular rigs, again so I could move the Tetramic between stages quickly & easily without unpluging anything.

Offline HarpDoc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 07:01:04 PM »
Hey Gutbucket,

Love the thread you linked to--some great ideas. In another thread, Chris Church proposed the idea of split omnis, with a homemade baffle blocking the rear, sides, and top/bottom of each mic. The baffle would be covered by acoustic foam. I've bought/ordered supplies to create this but haven't tried yet.

Have you tried anything like this? What do you think? Any tips?

Thanks,

Brendan

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
..In another thread, Chris Church proposed the idea of split omnis, with a homemade baffle blocking the rear, sides, and top/bottom of each mic. The baffle would be covered by acoustic foam. I've bought/ordered supplies to create this but haven't tried yet.

Have you tried anything like this? What do you think? Any tips?

Thanks,

Brendan

Thanks Brendan,

I've thought a lot along similar lines.  My apologies jnorman, this is going way off topic, and I typed a long reply so I'll answer in that other thread to keep from hi-jacking this one.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:21:14 PM by Gutbucket »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com