Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PMD 661 external power options?  (Read 15113 times)

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
PMD 661 external power options?
« on: January 03, 2010, 07:22:23 PM »
anyone have a solution for external power for 5v 1.5 amp? will a power-runner battery do 5 volts at the correct amps?Just feeling out some options so I dont need to ever change batteries under the gun,and not worry about having to turn it off.

You cant just go to radio shack anymore and buy Caps and Resistors,or I would think about building a stepdown from 9v,which isnt so hard but time consuming.Ide rather go with option A

waddaya thunk? :P
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: PMD 661 external power options?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:00:12 PM »
I normally use internal AAs, but I carry a PP-99 battery around in case I need some extra power.  The trick is finding a connector that the PMD-661 likes.  If you have an old JB3, the original AC cable connector fits perfectly.  I hacked the cable that came with the PP-99 and have used the JB3 connector with no problems.  I was getting low on AA battery power at NYE Miami and plugged the PP-99 battery in while recording and the 661 switched over to "plug-in power" automatically. 

I think others have used the Tekkeon battery with success and I believe it comes with a connector that works fine with the 661.

Here's a link to the PP-99:
http://www.amazon.com/iConcepts-Digi-Power-Pack-PP99/dp/B0009EXVGC
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
This should answer your question...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=119213.msg1597270#msg1597270

I use a Power runner to power all of my recorders.  I just bought a 661 (haven't received it yet) and I plan on powering it with the power runner.  It's my understanding that the Tekkeon is the successor to the power runner.  (Mine is the higher capacity power runner, which I think is analogous to the Tekkeon 3450.)

Reach your own conclusions, but I'm 99.9% sure that the Power runner will work for you without a problem.

Respectfully, Horus/Audball, that battery that you referenced I suppose would work fine for one show.  I have one and I never use it because it's a mere babe compared to a Tekkeon or a Power runner.  I NEVER and I mean NEVER have to worry about power when I use my power runner.  One of the best battery's on earth for what we do, AFAIC.  (It powered my R-09HR for complete 3-day festivals last year without a recharge...and that was running the R-09HR for 10+ hours daily!!)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:39:19 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »
This should answer your question...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=119213.msg1597270#msg1597270

exactly what I came in here to post.  a Tekkeon MP3450 is about the same size as the PMD-661 itself, and with phantom power on, it will power your beyers for 15+ hours, easy :)

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:18:56 PM »
Thanks Jason! ;)

exactly what I need!

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:24:17 PM »
BTW, where did you buy your battery from so I can order one and what was the final cost?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »
I think I bought mine from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-MP3450-myPower-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B000S9JWJI

although if you do a google search for it, you'll be able to find many online retailers, most of them in the $115-$120 range.  also, one of the standard tips that comes with the tekkeon fit the PMD-661 perfectly, so no need to go searching for additional connectors or anything.

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »
Following up on my earlier response, I got my new-to-me used 661 last night.  I can confirm that a powerrunner powers this thing like a champ.  I'd have no reservations whatsoever buying a Tekkeon 3450 for powering the 661. 

Doing a run-time test right now.  I don't have any internal batteries in the 661, but I've got the powerrunner set at 5V and she's running like a champ right now.  I'm testing to see how long it records on a single powerrunner charge and also to verify that my 16GB Toshiba SDHC cards (purchased a few months ago at Sams for $40 each!) won't have any read/write errors when I get to my first show.

I can confirm that the tip you need is the standard size yellow tip connector.  I'd be surprised if you didn't already have a couple of these laying around the house.  I have at least 4 or 5 of them...a couple of loose tips and a number of wal-warts with this same tip (I'd just cut it off the wal-wart if I didn't have the tip already.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:39:27 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 01:45:54 PM »
Following up on my earlier response, I got my new-to-me used 661 last night.  I can confirm that a powerrunner powers this thing like a champ.  I'd have no reservations whatsoever buying a Tekkeon 3450 for powering the 661. 

Doing a run-time test right now.  I don't have any internal batteries in the 661, but I've got the powerrunner set at 5V and she's running like a champ right now.  I'm testing to see how long it records on a single powerrunner charge and also to verify that my 16GB Toshiba SDHC cards (purchased a few months ago at Sams for $40 each!) won't have any read/write errors when I get to my first show.

I can confirm that the tip you need is the standard size yellow tip connector.  I'd be surprised if you didn't already have a couple of these laying around the house.  I have at least 4 or 5 of them...a couple of loose tips and a number of wal-warts with this same tip (I'd just cut it off the wal-wart if I didn't have the tip already.)

Hey Steve, Is that a stock 661?

Congrats, by the way. Maybe this little daddy will finally make you stop being a gear playa and settle down for a while.  >:D
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »

Congrats, by the way. Maybe this little daddy will finally make you stop being a gear playa and settle down for a while.  >:D

Yes it's a stock model Brad...got a cream puff used for $425.  Very happy about that.  I'm planning to use it as a bit bucket through the SPDIF and only use the XLR's and preamps for situations where my Oade preamps might not have enough power.  Over Christmas break, I bought a Mytek Stereo192 ADC, which I'm also very happy about.  However, I might run the 661 straight up once or twice just to hear what she sounds like stock. 

As far as settling down...you just never know.  LOL. 

PS: Profile updated!  :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:29:45 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »

Yes it's a stock model Brad...got a cream puff used for $425.  Very happy about that.  I'm planning to use it as a bit bucket through the SPDIF and only use the XLR's and preamps for situations where my Oade preamps might not have enough power.  Over Christmas break, I bought a Mytek Stereo192 ADC, which I'm also very happy about.  However, I might run the 661 straight up once or twice just to hear what she sounds like stock. 

Nice
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 03:52:32 PM »
Congrats on the 661! ;) Its a great little bit bucket for sure.I have run both a stock and I own a O-CM.Im really happy with the rusults with both,In my opinion the concert mod really broadens the spectrum of sound and nicely balances it.Im going touse mine for lots of differt projects so it really fits my build for now. I am however considering hard on going to a four channel rig.good luck and THANK YOU ALL for the input.

appreciated mucho~

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »
I think I bought mine from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-MP3450-myPower-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B000S9JWJI

although if you do a google search for it, you'll be able to find many online retailers, most of them in the $115-$120 range.  also, one of the standard tips that comes with the tekkeon fit the PMD-661 perfectly, so no need to go searching for additional connectors or anything.

Tekkeon also makes a RA power cable for their "myPower ALL" series batteries - very nice too:

http://www.tekkeon.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=21&idproduct=138

plus extra adapters:

http://www.tekkeon.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=20

Great batteries for the 661.  Thanks to Jason for steering me in that direction!!   ;D

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline MULETAPER

• Taperssection Member
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »
Follow up:

I bought a Tekkeon MP3450 for 109 bucks at amazon.When I look at what ive spent on batteries and what use ive gotten previously out ouf other dvd batterys Ive owned for my other stuff I concur:

there is never a better investment then a good re-chargable that will do every thing from run your laptop for 4 hrs and power your rig for an easy 15 hrs. it's priceless!It fits snug in its pleather case that it comes with just fine under the 661 and light weight for the size.best thing yet,wanna chare your cell phone? yeah,plug it right in! ;)

runs from 5-19V and its really killer.

fir giggles im going to see how long it will run my UA5... >:5
thanks for all the tips folks
+T

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 01:05:56 AM »

Nice
Yeah, that was a nice price.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com