Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dummy 9V battery for Littlebox question  (Read 6869 times)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Dummy 9V battery for Littlebox question
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »
I'm making a dummy 9V battery for my Littlebox so I can run it off of DVD batteries. I found this thread, but it's old.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=138728.0

Rather than hollow out an old 9V like Kirk did, I'd rather build a dummy battery out of wood, and run the cable out like he did. I made one of these wooden guys to replace the D batteries for my PMD 430 ages ago, and I'd rather not send it to Jon and wait for a week or two for the DIN3. I did ask for one after I placed the original order, but it fell through the cracks and I didn't get it when he built it. Live and learn.

So, just to be clear, if I use one of these Ratshack connectors, the "A" will be mimicking the battery, so the black wire "B" should be wired to the center post (+) on the B connector that plugs into the DVD battery correct? Ted made this comment in the thread, I just want to be sure. Thanks in advance!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dummy 9V battery for Littlebox question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
I am only guessing but wouldn't the red wire indicate the positive?  The DVD battery is center pin positive.  Just look at a 9V battery and see if the male or female terminal is positive, the transpose that to the battery hook up and then wire it accordingly. 

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:44:43 PM »
I am only guessing but wouldn't the red wire indicate the positive?  The DVD battery is center pin positive.  Just look at a 9V battery and see if the male or female terminal is positive, the transpose that to the battery hook up and then wire it accordingly.

Yes, normally, but since I used the connector that would usually receive the battery, rather than mimic a battery, it's backwards. The positive on the 9V is the little male one, which goes with the black wire on the connector. Wired that to the center (+) on the B connector. Other than I figured out I need to brush up on my soldering skills, good to go! I had to mod the battery tray pretty significantly to make the terminals stick out properly, so I'm going to buy a tray for actual 9Vs, they're only ~$3.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:11:28 PM »
FWIW, the top piece on a 9 volt battery is easily removed to use in place of the ratshack adapter you have and then you'll have correct height and contact for you setup.  Just replace that connection piece with the top from a dead 9volt and you should be good to go with no modifications needed.  The reason I had gutted a battery was because it was a boring day at work and I had a dead battery.  In hindsight if I was really serious I wou;d have used a wodden block of wood and the top to the 9 volt.  Just basic solder skills you don't even need to be real clean or neat for this project. 

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »
FWIW, the top piece on a 9 volt battery is easily removed to use in place of the ratshack adapter you have and then you'll have correct height and contact for you setup. 

At first, I thought, that could be messy, I would probably puncture a cell or something. Then, this AM I remembered that the Energizer lithium 9Vs are different than the standard ones in that they are plastic rather than foil wrapped. I took the external sticker off and found three cells that slip out easily after you pry off the connections. If you're somewhat careful, you can preserve the metal strips that are welded to the connectors. I'm not sure if it will be easier to use them to wire it up, or if it will be better to solder directly to the connectors. I'll know better tonight. The plastic casing is actually perfect for this application as you can run the wires through the battery (there are slots) and out the side at the bottom. I'll be rebuilding tonight, this will be much cleaner.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:45:36 PM »
That black littlebox is sexy.... :o
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:52:36 AM »
a long time ago
I had a 9v adapter that was a dummy 9 v battery with a lead to a wall wort - I believe it was a rat shack deal
I think if you  had the like you could use the dummy and wiring and easily terminate to the DVD batt plug...
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
Found this while reseraching a AA Battery Eliminator for my P2:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/315072-REG/Shure_PS9US_PS9US_Battery_Eliminator.html

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
Indeed, but $50?!!!

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »
Indeed, but $50?!!!

Yeah, no kidding!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »
So, just to be clear, if I use one of these Ratshack connectors, the "A" will be mimicking the battery, so the black wire "B" should be wired to the center post (+) on the B connector that plugs into the DVD battery correct?

This is correct.  Those connectors come prewired with their indicated polarity opposite to that of the battery, since they are designed to mate with battery terminals (male>female & viceversa).  So in your non-standard application of using the connector to imitate the battery side, you need to swap the indicated polarity.

Connector used on load side (standard use), Red lead = positive
Connector used on supply side (mimicing battery), Red lead = negative
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com