Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: An $11 Stereo Amplifier - New!  (Read 18063 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: An $11 Stereo Amplifier - New!
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2015, 10:41:31 AM »
the Little Bear just arrived. its tiny. I hope to assemble it this evening and will post some pics.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
congrats.
I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it, after some listening time.
What is involved in assembly?

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
congrats.
I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it, after some listening time.
What is involved in assembly?

RE: Assembly

I finally got around to putting it together the other day. I don't have my amps yet but hopefully they should be here in the next week or so. I took some pics to give you an idea. There are no instructions but it was fairly straight forward. a few spots of trial and error but really no big deal and a good deal of fun

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

mfrench

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 02:01:44 PM »
thanks!
I was a bit worried that it would be more than that,... like a soldering job.  Glad to see that it was just what it was.
I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 01:58:48 PM »
thanks!
I was a bit worried that it would be more than that,... like a soldering job.  Glad to see that it was just what it was.
I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

My mono blocks came today so hopefully will get to play with everything later today

Squeezebox Touch > Little Bear > Outlaw Audio 2200 > Von Schweikert VR-2s

I'm pretty pumped the VR2s have been idle for far too long.

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »
So I figured I would update the thread

I am currently running Squeezebox Touch > RCA (GAKables) > Little Bear > RCA (GAKables) > Outlaw Audio 2200M (mono blocks) > Von Schweikert VR 2

So I don't have a lot of experience with tubes so not a whole lot to compare it to and I essentially changed everything about my playback all at once so tough to draw conclusions about previous setup. BUT I can say this setup kicks serious ass. To my ears the soundstage is nice and wide. There is some attack but it seems smooth. I can seriously get the house rocking with all the power. I have only pushed it a little but but it gets thumping quick

Very happy so far with this setup.

Pic below. The little bear is kind of hard to see. Its next to the white statue on the same self as the squeebox,
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:55:25 AM by kindms »

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
I can testify this system is great. I got to hear it last week and really feel the "accuracy" and soundstage are right on.     8) :laugh:
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

mfrench

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
Too funny. I was just looking for this thread an hour ago or so, so that I could add another redundant comment about how much I like this little $11 amp.

I'm really glad to hear that you're liking the combo!  This chip amp stuff is really impressive sounding, IMO. congrats again!

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
Too funny. I was just looking for this thread an hour ago or so, so that I could add another redundant comment about how much I like this little $11 amp.

I'm really glad to hear that you're liking the combo!  This chip amp stuff is really impressive sounding, IMO. congrats again!

Ya I really dig it and other than the speakers its pretty low key on the wife / GF approval metric. I do feel a little bad as I now have a class A amp sitting on my office desk longing to be fixed up. I think i might give it another go. Does anyone know how to remove ribbon connectors safely from a circuit board ? If i can remove the ribbon i can get the DAC section out and work on the chassis and replace the speaker posts.

mfrench

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2016, 04:31:37 PM »
Still loving this little amp.
I thought I'd give an update after enough time had passed, so that I wasn't still on the look what I built high.  Its been quite a while now, and, this little thing gets played far more often than my Plinius/Soliloquy rig, which I never would have thought would happen.

mfrench

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
Hey, its early november 2017, and my $3500 Plinius amp has had most of the year off.
In that time, I've run all of my speakers with this little amp, and am still just as happy as can be. And, the prices of these things is plummeting. You can now get one fully built, in an enclosure, w/ bluetooth versions for well under $100, and even under $50.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com