Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 -> Edirol R-09HR  (Read 9215 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: V3 -> Edirol R-09HR
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 11:35:44 AM »
here's link to the thread where I pinched the idea
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=96074.0
Looks like the pics are gone but the values for the resistors are still there. The schemo came from the same site you mention.

I built those cables for running my V3 in front of my R4 analog in before I got it modded. What I was trying to achieve was to match up the V3 meters with the meters on the R4 ( I hate the meters on the R4) so I had to knock off the extra +23 from the balanced outputs.

IIRC I used 2k2 and 150 just like Jon suggested and got around 23dB of attenuation. I used cheap resistors but I matched them up as best I could.

Building them into the connector was not difficult. I made it on the first try....I sodered them onto the wires first and figured out how to get them situated in the housing so that nothing could short out on the housing before soldering them into the connector pins.

I remember that one of my audio geek buddies, when I was showing off my handiwork, commented that jumping the pin to ground with the shunt resistor was faulty circuit design but we were drinking and all of his jargon was way over my head. I THINK I was using the U-pad diagram from the uneeda-audio link but it's been a couple of years....

I'm out of the cable making biz for a while and have let my stock  dwindle down to what I need to support past customers so I can't really offer to build any right now.....but I'm really surprised that Darktrain, Ed or Naiant hasn't added something like this to their product line. Building battery boxes and attenuators and such is not really all that hard. I'm surprised more people don't do it at home.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 11:37:22 AM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
Building battery boxes and attenuators and such is not really all that hard. I'm surprised more people don't do it at home.

Agreed. 

I see a lot of related posts here on ts.com and the Internet.  My lack of knowledge in what are very simple electronics makes deciphering them hard, but it will all "click" eventually. Other than the site I referenced, I haven't really found pictures of "resistor1 is soldered to PIN1", etc.  Lots of simple schematics out there, though.  I just can't translate them to the physical world.  In the end, I'll document what I did for the next poor new kid.

--Michael   
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 01:38:11 PM »
just doesn't make sense to me to amplify the signal with a preamp, then attenuate the signal with a cable. 
i think you should amplify the signal 15 db less.
i don't think that, when the v-3 is in preamp only mode, the signal needs to be zero on the meters.
i could be wrong though.   
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »
just doesn't make sense to me to amplify the signal with a preamp, then attenuate the signal with a cable. 
i think you should amplify the signal 15 db less.
i don't think that, when the v-3 is in preamp only mode, the signal needs to be zero on the meters.
i could be wrong though.

I'll agree with you, with one exception.  If run the digi out on the V3 to my R-44, I'll set the levels appropriately for that path.  At that point, the analog signal sent to the backup R-09HR would be too hot (so, I've read).  Actually, I have experience doing almost this exact thing once, but an iRiver was catching the analog feed...the V3 proved to be too hot for it.

This site:  'http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio' is referenced a lot on the web in relation to this topic.  But, it no longer exists and the wayback machine didn't archive it.  By chance did anyone here?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »
i guess i didn't notice the digi > r-44 part.
if the the r-09hr is a back up recorder, what about taking the unbalanced out from the r-44?
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »
Grandpas who only hang out back in the section might not believe it, but there are situations where the v3 at minimum gain is just too hot for the r09 :P

Much more often, there are situations where the psp2 is too hot for the r09..  The same will apply to any recorder that can't take a pro level signal (like the M10).

There is also the question of whether some pre-amps sound better when run at higher output levels..  And also the question of how the pads impact the sound, even when appropriately impedance matched and built with good resistors.

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 06:20:06 PM »
i guess i didn't notice the digi > r-44 part.
if the the r-09hr is a back up recorder, what about taking the unbalanced out from the r-44?

I thought about that, too, but I think there would be too much digi conversion in there: A/D (v3)->D/A(R-44)->A/D(R-09).  Extra conversions aside, I wonder how hot the line out of the R-44 is in comparison to the V3...

EDIT to send future readers here:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=132686.0
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:42:37 PM by mblindsey »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com