Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Overkill mic storage: twist vials inside cigar caddy  (Read 2875 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Overkill mic storage: twist vials inside cigar caddy
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »
I know many here use the Cigar Caddy cases to store their pencil mics.  I have been using one for quite a while, but since my mics are really tiny, I wanted to protect them further from knocking into each other during transport.  I almost bought some of the Schoeps twist vials made for CMC bodies, but $6 each plus shipping seemed a bit too high for something so cheap to make.

Instead, I found these tiny versions for dirt cheap, and they are perfect size to hold the X-Qs (51mm long).  I tried using them with the CM3s though (77mm long), and they are just barely too short for the threads to engage.  A user on GS recommended McMaster-Carr, and sure enough, they have their own version.  See "Adjustable-Length Plastic Tubes" here.  I bought the smallest size of the 0.79" dia tubes (just over 20mm ID), which as you can see hold the CM3s perfectly with room for a silica gel cylinder in there.  If you have mics that are more normally-sized, you'd probably want the medium length.  The plastic is a different, harder type than the CountyComm versions (which are closer to the type Schoeps uses), but they work the same.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Overkill mic storage: twist vials inside cigar caddy
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »
+T Very cool :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »
Indeed, very cool.  Might be overkill but better than damaging your mics.  Thank you for including links as well!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:50:03 AM »
If you know any machinists, ask them to look around the shop.... These are most commonly used to ship and protect end mills.  You might get them for free.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
Some of yours look shorter than the 3 1/8" min. at Mcmaster-Carr; are they?
I'm looking for storage for C4 caps and C61 caps.

Thanks for doing the homework,
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 10:42:17 AM »
OIC!
Now I see it; didn't notice the link in the post to the "tiny versions".
Sorry
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 10:46:21 PM »
A few years back I stumbled upon these cigar carriers and I sent one as a gift to Dr. Helmut Wittek at Schoeps. His reaction (which I'm paraphrasing here) was that they weren't good for long-term use, because of the exact thing that makes them good cigar carriers: They trap air moisture, and prevent drying out of the contents of the case.

Since then I have used the cigar carriers only for transport to and from a recording; I keep all microphones, and especially capsules, in cases that don't seal tightly when closed.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 07:17:12 AM »
A few years back I stumbled upon these cigar carriers and I sent one as a gift to Dr. Helmut Wittek at Schoeps. His reaction (which I'm paraphrasing here) was that they weren't good for long-term use, because of the exact thing that makes them good cigar carriers: They trap air moisture, and prevent drying out of the contents of the case.

Since then I have used the cigar carriers only for transport to and from a recording; I keep all microphones, and especially capsules, in cases that don't seal tightly when closed.

--best regards

That's a very good put point, but this is exactly why I use silica gel canisters or packets in this case, as you can see in the picture.  They would not be effective unless the case sealed tightly.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com