Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Analog" Roger Waters recording  (Read 7440 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
"Analog" Roger Waters recording
« on: November 03, 2006, 09:05:56 AM »
So I was crusing Dime and noticed this new Roger Waters source from july 8 2000 that was recorded on a nagra real to real.

Recorder: Nagra IV-S Reel to Reel analog:
Tape: Scotch 3M-967 good for 48.30 minutes
Mics: AKG 414 (48 volts in Nagra)

Played back on identical machine>
Pre-amp: Naim 52
CDR Recorder (Stand Alone): Panasonic CDR-???
(My second ever burn, friends unit)
CDR: Taiyo Yuden Memorex 74-DA
PC Drive: UltraPlex40max SCSI
EAC>FLAC>To You Guys, enjoy, RB

Definitely a cool source and effort. There was mucho hype in the thread about it being the best recording ever, etc..  I was eagerly looking forward to hearing it.. It is nice but not as good as the hype suggested.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=118171

So... I thought this recording might make for some interesting discussion.

The comments at dime hype the analog master and gloss over that the they are hearing a digital representation done with an apparently low quality CDR burner.  I'd like to hear the master or a good casette version.

I haven't played with mixing down my recordings to analog..  Sending the digital back to tape and back to digital, etc. There are countless ways and devices to simulate tape sound, either in post or in the original recording chain.   Though I'd much rather capture a high quality digital master and add any analog artifacts in post.

Anyone else listened?

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
Re: "Analog" Roger Waters recording
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 09:09:54 AM »
he should do a R2R>24bit transfer.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline rustoleum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 12:08:53 PM »
this guy had to have somehow gotten permission to tape... stealthing with 414s?   WOW.   ???

Alchemy

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 12:23:29 PM »
How does one go about crotching this. ???  :D

Offline MarkE

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 12:42:05 PM »
How does one go about crotching this. ???  :D

Well it is ANAL-og...... ;D
open: Dpa 4022 > Naiant Midbox> Edirol R-09hr or iRiver H120
Stealth : Sonic Studios DSM-6S > Custom Battery Box> Edirol R-09hr
Stealth : Nevaton MCE400 > Naiant Tinybox > Edirol R-09hr

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 01:00:36 PM »
I've heard about and seen people change reels in a matter of seconds! Someone recently was talking about a Nagra IV at a Panic show maybe and how dude changed the reel lightning fast.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 02:35:01 PM »
any idea if this is the guy who came barreling into the phish taperssection at alpine a while back? came rolling in a few minutes before show time saying that he wanted his seat number ignoring the unwritten general admission rule in the section.

oh yeah, he was also saying it was the best audience phish recording ever made!  :P

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 02:06:48 PM »
any idea if this is the guy who came barreling into the phish taperssection at alpine a while back? came rolling in a few minutes before show time saying that he wanted his seat number ignoring the unwritten general admission rule in the section.
As opposed to the actual -written- rule that says you get the seat you pay for?  Screw that.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 02:32:02 PM »
As opposed to the actual -written- rule that says you get the seat you pay for?  Screw that.

the dood should have gotten there ontime, i was a bit late myself both nites from waiting in the ticket line, which i never saw him in line, then just came barreling thru

the pohish section worked that way as long as i can remember, if you get there first, you get the DFC/Front rail spot, you can even get in late as hell, which has happened to me and get a great taping spot on teh front rail, as long as you arent a fucktard to everyone around you :P

and dood was running A/B anyway, so his knowledge goes out the window IMO
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 02:45:17 PM »

oh yeah, he was also saying it was the best audience phish recording ever made!  :P

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=118291
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 02:53:14 PM »

the dood should have gotten there ontime, i was a bit late myself both nites from waiting in the ticket line, which i never saw him in line, then just came barreling thru

the pohish section worked that way as long as i can remember, if you get there first, you get the DFC/Front rail spot, you can even get in late as hell, which has happened to me and get a great taping spot on teh front rail, as long as you arent a fucktard to everyone around you :P

The couple times I taped phish I was there when the gates opened and had some trustafarian tapers telling me they were going to be setting up in my seat.  Fuck that.  They didn't.  I don't really care what a bunch of kids claim has "always been the policy", esp. when the band says the opposite.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 03:21:27 PM »

The couple times I taped phish I was there when the gates opened and had some trustafarian tapers telling me they were going to be setting up in my seat.  Fuck that.  They didn't.  I don't really care what a bunch of kids claim has "always been the policy", esp. when the band says the opposite.

thats diff than showing up when the band is coming onstage tho, this dood was a righteous asshole

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 04:59:55 PM »

thats diff than showing up when the band is coming onstage tho, this dood was a righteous asshole

Agreed, I just thought I'd take this opportunity to vent  ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 06:53:23 PM »

Agreed, I just thought I'd take this opportunity to vent  ;D

its all good, doesnt matter now anyway since they brokeup ;D

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 12:18:35 AM »

all hearsay on my end. unfortunately never made it to alpine.

i did, however, like the idea of getting there early to not only claim a good spot but also form a group to protect the section. can't tell you how many times i encountered people who just bought taper tickets for the seats with absolutely no intention of taping.

doesn't matter cause phish is gone!

-b

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com