Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Finished: Presto Recording Corp. - Pirouette T-18 Turntable Project  (Read 13755 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Overview:
Long, intense project. It took a total driveline redesign to get it to play right. This project is not something for the "beginner" DIY'er (and would be ridiculous to pay to have done). A dead end if you aren't able to handle lots of different aspects of fabrication, metal working, sheet metal, wood working and, ultimately masonry..
It was just incredibly long and arduous task to get to completion.
It fought me at every stage.

OK,.... I'm stoked.
Since my early vinyl spinning days, I've been intrigued by radio broadcast turntables, and their simplicity.
I've long thought it would be cool to make one of those decks into a project table, by mostly building a custom plinth to house it in (rather than the cold, industrial metal radio console desks).
So, I've been shopping around trying to find a nice base mechanism to build from.
I've missed bids on a few Russco CueMasters, and a couple of Lenco decks.
Then, low and behold, I saw this beauty listed last weekend, on eBay, and I bid on it, and bid strong.
I've been an anxious, nervous wreck all week waiting for this to play itself out.

Presto Recording Company created the first lacquer coated mastering discs for recording. They were instrumental in the capturing of any number of early recordings, and were featured in the finest studios of the 40's and 50's.
History;
http://www.televar.com/grshome/Presto.htm

Some of their portable mastering turntables:
http://www.televar.com/grshome/Presto2.html
check out the two platter rigs for continuos mastering beyond the length of a single side - cool stuff.
So, this deck really called to me, on the old radio broadcast level, having been touched by his noodly appendage, but mostly, because of their critical importance in capturing live audio, and portable recording.
It seems to me that they knew a thing or two about building a turntable with extreme longevity!

Look here for more of this project unfolding,......
First step,.... getting the idler wheels overhauled and rerubbered (already found a service!)

I give you my next DIY project, the Presto Pirouette T-18, from a long past era;

Presto Recording Company -  Pirouette T-18  Deck overview

speed mechanism - idler wheels

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?
This project has been pre-approved by his noodliness, FSM

Presto Recoding Corporation - serial number 1166

the mechanical bay - oh the complexity!

what it might look like after some TLC

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:54:31 PM by mfrench »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Presto Recording Corp. - Pirouette T-18 Turntable Project
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:40:16 PM »
Is that a two (33/78) or a three speed (16,33,78) table?

mfrench

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:42:09 PM »
three speed: 33, 45, 78

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:53:54 PM »
Figured 45 would have been in the middle which is why I thought it might have a 16 option. But since it's an old broadcast table I should have known 45 would be the other option since 45s were a very popular format and I've only seen two 16 rpm records - ever.

mfrench

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:03:14 PM »
This is an old, original condition '57 VW Van, that is rigged as a portable radio broadcast station.
There are two Pirouette T-18's rigged in it.
http://www.oldbug.com/radio2.htm

there is very little information on the web regarding this deck, just a few pictures.
I'm going to document the shizz out of this build.

this is the console and t-18 'tables in the VW van brdcst station;

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 12:38:17 AM by mfrench »

Offline mike1061

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:18:14 AM »
That van is cool. I'd say it's a good thing I didn't see it, or I'd buy it and it would just sit. I can't think of any place I'd use it.
Thanks Mike

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:23:49 PM by mike1061 »

mfrench

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »
I'd imagine, with that load in it, that you'd have to push it up hills.

Offline mike1061

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »
The trailer with my record collection would weigh twice as mush as the van. LOL
Mike

mfrench

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »
Its here!

what a cool machine!

Upon inspection and fire up, only 78 speed worked.
Then I realized the motor mount bolts were loose, removed the whole thing from its mount, shimmed them with 3/4" rubber hose washers (because I had them in the garage. I'm going to get some cone shaped rubber faucet washers before this is through); reassembled everything, tightened motor mounts.

I now have immediate start up and torque on all three speeds :)
I'm waiting on a speed mat/strobe kit, to confirm speeds, but for now, I have solid hookup and soft wheels.

The old oem motor mount bushings had flattened out enough to cause the bronze bushing inner shaft to contact the motor, eliminating the isolation of the rubber bushing. The hose washer was a perfect fit to the o.d. of the oem bushing. They've reduced a substantial amount of noise within its plywood soundbox plinth.

The rubber faucet washers that I know of will work even better - i just need to get to home depot / hardware store and buy a few.
For now, the rubber hose washers work, and have proven effective, and spawned immediate thoughts of improving for the final assembly (faucet washers rather than hose washers).

I've got some pics, just not posted and ready yet.

mfrench

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 11:25:17 PM »
This came mounted to my new project table.
There is not a whole lot of information out there - So I thought I'd post some pictures.

General Electric Baton series A1-500 transcription tonearm.
I have no idea how old it is.

The tonearm does not pivot on a vertical axis, like your more modern arms. Its rigid on its axis out to the headshell, which pivots upwardly. When its up, you bring the arm over, then lower the headshell down to the record.
The tonearm is counterweighted at the headshell, rather than behind the modern 'arm pivot point.

There is an owners manual .pdf d/l available at vinylengine.com, which I did grab.

Bottom headshell - label

headshell - twin tube arm - counterweight

headshell profile inside

headshell proflile - counterweight

headshell hinge

headshell counterweight

horizontal bearing at seam above label.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:28:09 PM by mfrench »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 06:00:48 PM »
You'll be needing new rubber friction idlers if they haven't been changed out yet.
Then use a strobe to speed check it, and a force gauge to measure stylus force

That's all I remember about vinyl       ;)
 :scared:

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

mfrench

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 06:56:51 PM »
:)

They're out getting rebuilt right now.
I found a guy in missouri that specializes in overhaulin' old jukeboxes, and old audio gear.
He can OH any capstan or pinch roller that we have in our recorders. Great guy to know; and way reasonable. Hes only charged me $25 ea to rebuild irreplaceable wheels.
I've also ordered a non-contact digital tachometer (fancy laser pointer) to gauge my motor speed, as I might try to find a more modern, quieter running, four-pole induction motor.
But for now, when the wheels get back (they've been gone for 2 weeks of a 3->4 week period), I'm getting back on the renovation/oh of this old beauty.
I've mounted a vintage GE triple play cartridge to the 'toon town tonearm as well, and will be using it for 78 playback.

mfrench

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 07:02:09 PM »
the OH'd GE A1-500 baton 12" transcription tonearm, with its GE RPX Golden Treasure Triple-play Cartridge installed:

This cartridge is called a triple-play, because it does 33/45 microgroove and 78 wide groove.
The 33/45 needle is said to be quite a vinyl ribbon cutter, so, it will only be used for 78 playback.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:07:55 PM by mfrench »

mfrench

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »
These are shims made to shore-up flattened motor mount isolation bushings. They're made from rubber faucet washers that I drilled to fit the brass bushing stud. You can see the distortion of the brass bushing hammering against the motor mount. These new shims are just deep enough to stop that.
They provide about 1/16" isolation of motor from mount when compressed;

motor mount bushing shims, compressed:

The brass studs on the inside of the bushings are closer to the motor than the picture shows, by about 1/2 again the depth shown (about 1/16" when compressed)

coolest 45rpm adaptor ever!
Its built into the platter, and, lifts up,  and with a partial twist, locks into position.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:38:12 PM by mfrench »

mfrench

Finished: Presto Recording Corp. - Pirouette T-18 Turntable Project
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »
Overview:
Long, intense project. It took a total driveline redesign to get it to play right. This project is not something for the "beginner" DIY'er (and would be ridiculous to pay to have done). A dead end if you aren't able to handle lots of different aspects of fabrication, *turntable idler drive geometry, metal working, sheet metal, wood working and, ultimately masonry..
It was just incredibly long and arduous task to get to completion.
It fought me at every stage.

*even in perfect new condition, this decks OE design is troublesome, due to the phasing out of 78's and phasing in of 33/45 - making 78rpm the redheaded bastard stepchild.

now to the original post:
Wow,......
What a long strange trip this project turned into.
To say it was a bitch getting it to finish is laughable at best.

This thing is a bitch of a mistress, truly a dominatrix. She fought me at every possible angle. I think I finally got er tamed though!?!

burpin it up

OK,...
Just today (this past saturday), finished a massive project, far more intensive than I could have considered when I started it.
I've long been fascinated with old american radio broadcast record payers, turntables.
I finally decided to look into them, and fell for a particularly old piece by a legend in audio-deco era radio broadcast equipment manufacturing, Presto Recording Corporation.
They made early radio broadcast and recording gear, recording lathe turntables.
I won an auction for a Presto T-18 Pirouette tt, just about a year ago now.
I thought, no problem, clean and lube the motor, get the idler wheels overhauled, relube the bearing - I'd be styling.
WRONG!
As it turns out, the motor bearing bushings were worn out, and it would act nicely for about 15 minutes, then it would start to wailing, and the wailing grew in intensity to a point of hearing it all over the house. You could not go anywhere in the house and not hear it.
So it would get put away, then I'd forget my frustrations, and I'd stubbornly reopen the motor, which has been lovingly renamed the Borg Death Cube, and I'd try everything all over again. My best results bought me 20 minutes before the vibrations started again.
So, I decided to research contemporary DC motors, and learned of motors that had internal speed sensors, and computer drivers, high-tech modern precision DC motors.
So, I thought; I'll just replace the old motor!!
So I did.
I replaced it with a new motor, within its OE drive-line geometry, which quickly revealed its self-noise (this deck came about at the end of 78's and the start of 33/45, and the tech was not so high fidelity yet - still monaural). The self-noise came from the idler wheels, which were three fat dragster tire footprint paches.
So, the nasty vibration is gone, now i just here fat rubber wearing itself away (and these were newly retread tires). It was still too noisy - and I'd already wrapped up too much time :: rolls eyes:: Yeah, right,..... watch me ramp up spending too much time to the thousands.

So, already having far too much time into this project, I decide to abandon rational thought, and redesign the entire drive-line, referring to a few muddled, addled thoughts, buried deeply in the gray matter.
If I can only fit a Lenco tire, from Switzerland, under my old American table from Paramus NJ, this might just work!
So, I started looking around under the hood, and found a few square inches of unused space, and went for it.

A Lenco wheel is a thin light tire with a knife edge. The footprint patch contact is miniscule compared to the 1/4" wide contact of the OE tires, thats got to create less friction noise, right?
To prove it, I had to build it.
The design, and fitting process has been intense, and has eaten up 100% of my freetime over the past 6 months. Sleepless nights caught up in mental geometry, concept, and execution.
Well, today for the first time, I heard it play music, and this thing has serious mojo.
As an idler drive it has torque like a diesel, and cuts through the thickest most intense movements like they weren't even there - stylus drag is a joke through these passages; a heavy platter and idler drive cut through it like a hot knife through warm butter.
The background is silent, because the motor is suspended and isolated from the plinth by rubber grommet turntable motor mounts, my own custom spring suspension and, constrained layer vibration damping isolation motor pod. The CLD motor pod is isolated from the soapstone plinth, entirely, except at four rubber well nut attachment points that hang the CLD under the plinth, but not hard fastened to it.
The mass of the stone takes care of any other vibration issues. The background noise is black silent.

At any rate,.... one of my longest projects to date. It seemed so simple in my head! ::rolls eyes::
ain't she purty?

12" Jelco tonearm (typical arms are 9"), and a Denon Dl103 broadcast cartridge (can be super hot-rodded).

up the skirt shot - the finished rear access panel, rear of arm pod:

She weighs no less than a hundred pounds, maybe a hundred and low teens wouldn't surprise me.

the listening spot view (well, maybe from a bit lower than the spot):

bearing capture device:

The ring is pulling the bearing housing and top plate downward, creating stability of the top plate and bearing housing. The cross-member is to stabilize, recapture, the thrust plate energy, and return it to the plinth-stone, after a gasket has been applied to stop the friggin oil leak.

motor cld:

all the wires are shielded, the motor frame is shielded. There is a 1/4" sub-top plate shield, and the platter itself is shielded.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:06:55 PM by mfrench »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Re: Finished: Presto Recording Corp. - Pirouette T-18 Turntable Project
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 10:46:17 PM »
Congratulations!

It is a thing of beauty.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com