Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone / DAC  (Read 14110 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Headphone / DAC
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:25:33 PM »
Anyone using a good quality headphone DAC with their computer?  I am in the market for one and I think I have found one.  But I am not looking to spend a boatload so the Benchmark and Grace models are out of the question at the moment.  One will be had in the future but not now.  I am looking at the sub 500$ range.  There are some interesting T-Amp type Headphone DACs out there I might try.  Just wondering if anyone is using something that is the best kept secret?  We are talking bang for the buck Headphone DAC.

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Headphone / DAC
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:10:54 PM »
I've looked at the NuForce and Fiio stuff before...  But never pulled the trigger...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:34:28 PM »
I've looked at the NuForce and Fiio stuff before...  But never pulled the trigger...

Terry

I have looked at those too.

This caught my eye....  chip set looks like Wolfson WM8005 + Brown and Burr PCM1793.  The price is right too.

https://www.springwateraudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=62
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

colinw

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:52:44 PM »
I have had my eye on the Audioengine D1, which gets great reviews, and is a steal at under $200.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:31:20 PM by colinw »

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
Here is a thread where the Audio Engine D1 is discussed.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=156786.0

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 12:26:51 AM »
I asked Santa to bring me an Audioquest Dragonfly for Christmas.  It has received rave reviews from pretty much every audio publication and costs around $250.  If Santa doesnt' bring it, I'm going to get it myself.  I'll post a short review when I get it.

I have researched this extensively and the best options that I found under $500 were the Peachtree Audio DAC-IT (~$450), the Arcam rDAC (~$450), the Schitt Bifrost (~$450), and the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 (~$350).  Not only is the Dragonfly smaller than any of those options, but it's easier to power (direct through USB) and sounds just as good as any of the other options. One drawback is that it only does 24/96 instead of 24/192, but I think that I can live with that.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 02:36:58 AM »
I've had an Audioengine D1 for about 6 months now and still think it's a great piece of gear.  Simple, sounds good, does up to 24/192, it's so small that it's easy to take with you.  I think unless you are going to step up to a significantly more expensive DAC, then you'll be very happy with it.

http://audioengineusa.com/Audioengine-D1#.UMbh3ZJBFBY

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 11:39:50 AM »
I had a firestone FuBar that sounded good, though the AC adapter died. I think they are $300.  I actually liked the sound more than the Grace, despite the poor reliability. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:28:05 PM »

I've had some of the fiio stuff before, it's ok, great introduction and definately beats an onboard soundcard for laptops/pcs. I don't think it's necessarily better than what you'd get out of analog outs on a dvd player though. The problem with the fiio line (at least a couple years ago) was their forced integration. If you wanted the DAC, you had to use the amp.

the nuforce I haven't heard anything overly positive about their low-end Icon line.

I used stuff from ibasso for a while, those are cheap and perform well enough (especially considering the budget category). bigperm has one now I think as well.

the Schitt Bifrost (~$450)

I've heard a lot of people speak highly of this, but I've never heard one myself.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 03:13:34 AM »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
I took the chance on a well reviewed chinese company over at headfi at the time. I haven't been following the company that closely but have been using their headphone, pre-amp, DAC The audio-gd FUN. I have had it for several years now and use it just about everyday. About a year or so ago I reached out to get the updated USB board and they were quick and responsive. I was a little reluctant to send $ to china but it ended up working out really well

I would definitely buy from them again.

I think mine was like $300

USB, COAX, Optical
DAC out
Pre-AMP out
1/4" jack on the front
2 different gain stages
the device has several chips to mix and match flavors.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
i still use a centrance dacmini
last week my hp volume became scratchy when turned
i will ship it back to the usa for new pots and pans
and ask them to check it out fully
lately its to bright and bass is to transparent almost invisible
maby my ears maby my speakers ma bx2 or amp brio r

i would like to try a nos dac 20 hz to 20 khz and no more
80s were my happiest sonic periods
the ultra spectrum maby to irritating over long hrs of listening for me

im getting irritaded from sound lately
i love audio
i just dont get it

synergy gone from my setup

g

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
Matrix mini I is a really nice unit. I liked it so much I sold my MSB gold link. Now that says a lot. I also did a mini review of the unit in this section. Search and yea shall find. Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:52:29 PM by raymonda »

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »

I have owned both the NuForce Icon uDAC-2 and the FiiO E17. 

The uDAC-2 is a piece of crap: independent testing on several sites revealed that their claimed specs don't measure up to what actually happens under the hood so overall sound quality leaves much to be desired.  Personally, I also found it to pick up a lot of electronic interference so maybe there's shielding issues as well. 

The FiiO E17, in stark contrast, has it beat by a mile in build quality, sound quality and flexibility.  I wouldn't consider it "audiophile grade" and there might be better options mentioned in this thread, but the E17 has done me well for mixing things down on my laptop, is very reasonably priced and is much better than the stock soundcard.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 12:48:16 AM »

I have owned both the NuForce Icon uDAC-2 and the FiiO E17. 

The uDAC-2 is a piece of crap: independent testing on several sites revealed that their claimed specs don't measure up to what actually happens under the hood so overall sound quality leaves much to be desired.  Personally, I also found it to pick up a lot of electronic interference so maybe there's shielding issues as well. 

The FiiO E17, in stark contrast, has it beat by a mile in build quality, sound quality and flexibility.  I wouldn't consider it "audiophile grade" and there might be better options mentioned in this thread, but the E17 has done me well for mixing things down on my laptop, is very reasonably priced and is much better than the stock soundcard.

Thanks!  This thread has been very informative!  Glad to get some real info on these!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com