Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Home Depot Cable  (Read 14675 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Home Depot Cable
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 08:03:57 AM »
I have the canares and love them...just use bare wire, no banana plugs on the ends as of yet.  How long a run would you need for a comparison Joe?  I have some extra I believe....you would just have to strip the wire on the ends and hook it up, if you want to run a compare...

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2004, 01:20:41 PM »
I have the canares and love them...just use bare wire, no banana plugs on the ends as of yet.  How long a run would you need for a comparison Joe?  I have some extra I believe....you would just have to strip the wire on the ends and hook it up, if you want to run a compare...

about 15' would be fine. thanks!

I'm thinking of going to Home Depot & getting some of that extension cord to try out.
It's just a regular extension cord, & all you do is cut off the plugs right ?

yep.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2005, 01:01:16 PM »
I have the canares and love them...just use bare wire, no banana plugs on the ends as of yet. How long a run would you need for a comparison Joe? I have some extra I believe....you would just have to strip the wire on the ends and hook it up, if you want to run a compare...

about 15' would be fine. thanks!

PM Sent

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2005, 07:08:41 PM »
I put this stuff on today finally. it is replacing some Synergistic Research Alpha cable...

I don't know if I'm hearing things or not but there seems to be a rather dramatic improvement already. The sound is richer and fuller in the low end and has a new openness and clarity in the top. The soundstage seems to be have grown a bit deeper and wider too...

I like what I'm hearing...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2005, 11:12:02 PM »
don't forget that they sell 14/2 for .158/ft  no info on strand count.
we all live downstream.

Offline cwfen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2005, 02:16:20 PM »
Haven't done to much research on strand count, etc, but Lowes ( http://www.lowes.com ) has some outdoor extension cables in similar gauges and configurations/ prices in blue and purple... prime cords or something like it... interesting and probably what I will try when I finally get my new receiver.

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2005, 03:56:21 PM »
I put this stuff on today finally. it is replacing some Synergistic Research Alpha cable...

I don't know if I'm hearing things or not but there seems to be a rather dramatic improvement already. The sound is richer and fuller in the low end and has a new openness and clarity in the top. The soundstage seems to be have grown a bit deeper and wider too...

I like what I'm hearing...

Tim any updates?  Still sounding good to your ears?

Thanks,
Nick
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2005, 04:27:53 PM »
yes, very much so.... I added a new amp and cd player within the last 2 weeks though. I'm going to swap them out for some bettercables.com wires this weekend... didn't have time last weekend.

EDIT: I'll post more in depth thoughts next week sometime... suffice it to say that I really enjoyed the sound of the HD cable with my borrowd amp, (Thanks Darrin!). The HD cable was a noticeable improvement to my ears with that setup. I have no complaints with how it sounds with my new ASL amp but I just haven't had time to switch out the cables...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 05:49:44 PM by Tim »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 06:24:40 PM »
I've been using about 20' of my original 50' of the Home Depot "cable".  Sounds great, or rather, I can really tell with all these upgrades, how crappy my speakers are...

The orange doesn't bother me as most of the cable is hidden...  Anyways, I think its funny to point out that a $20 extension cord sounds as good as expensive cable - so I like to keep them orange to remind me...

Anyone want some of this stuff???  I'll trade for a handful of SHN/FLAC discs of any recent shows you may have taped...

Email me or PM me here...  twatts@kci.com

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

jpschust

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 07:54:59 PM »
yes, very much so.... I added a new amp and cd player within the last 2 weeks though. I'm going to swap them out for some bettercables.com wires this weekend... didn't have time last weekend.

EDIT: I'll post more in depth thoughts next week sometime... suffice it to say that I really enjoyed the sound of the HD cable with my borrowd amp, (Thanks Darrin!). The HD cable was a noticeable improvement to my ears with that setup. I have no complaints with how it sounds with my new ASL amp but I just haven't had time to switch out the cables...

I'm curious to see your thoughts on the bettercables wires.  Everyone I've turned on to these cables has remarked about their incredible clarity across all frequencies.

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2005, 08:07:13 PM »

I'm curious to see your thoughts on the bettercables wires. Everyone I've turned on to these cables has remarked about their incredible clarity across all frequencies.

I can't wait to use them. Unfortunatley the amp I was borrowing wouldn't take the spade connectors so I had to wait until I got my new amp. Thanks so much for the loaner Jonny :)

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2005, 08:19:06 PM »
well, the ext. cord certainly holds the low end very well. felt like more presence to me....maybe not as smooth overall as the canare (thanks nick) A little more air to the higer end of the canare. overall, i am pleased with the ext. cord through my monitors. I think it needs to be compared with the canare on a sub.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2005, 08:33:16 PM »
well, the ext. cord certainly holds the low end very well. felt like more presence to me....maybe not as smooth overall as the canare (thanks nick) A little more air to the higer end of the canare. overall, i am pleased with the ext. cord through my monitors. I think it needs to be compared with the canare on a sub.

+T Joe, thanks....

fwiw - the cable I'm borrowing from Jonny won't reach my amp, so no comparisons this weekend. Jason is sending me some high dollar AudioQuest to try out though.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2005, 08:35:55 PM »

my pleasure...interesting how the ext cord stacks up...

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2005, 08:40:30 PM »
apparently in blind tests that The Absolute Sound did it matched up with some pretty high dollar cable...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com