Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Playback sluttiness....  (Read 27543 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Playback sluttiness....
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 08:32:02 PM »
Thanks Nick! I'm super excited... I'm going to let the thing burn in for a month or so and then start playing with different tube combinations... should keep me busy for awhile :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 12:40:48 AM »
Got it all setup. We've been shopping for a new stand for awhile... really having a tough time finding just what we want. Before anyone asks, the unit has plenty of ventilation it's not getting too warm :)

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 12:53:36 AM »
she seems to be staying plenty cool.. I've been keeping a close eye on it though. This POS stand is on it's way out as soon as we find a good alternative... the t00bes are pretty well ventilated and the dvd itself is not getting warm and I've had this thing on for a good 6 hours straight...

it sounds pretty nice but I hear that after about 100-200 hours the caps burn in and the bass response becomes a little better. It's a touch light down low right now but we'll see how it sounds in a month. I'm already shopping for new t00bes to try out :)

going to order a power conditioner in the morning and am eyeing some dacs...

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 01:00:04 AM »
Got it all setup. We've been shopping for a new stand for awhile... really having a tough time finding just what we want. Before anyone asks, the unit has plenty of ventilation it's not getting too warm :)

Tim, you might want to look into the DIY option for your stand.  I've heard good things about the TNT flexy variety.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

I think I'm going to try building one for myself this weekend, I'll report back once I get it made.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 09:45:14 AM »
tim--i'm coming over for a listen when i get to CO.  Looks like a nice unit--and a conversation piece!!
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 09:50:28 AM »
Tim, you might want to look into the DIY option for your stand. I've heard good things about the TNT flexy variety.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

I think I'm going to try building one for myself this weekend, I'll report back once I get it made.

I built one 2 summers ago before I moved to Virginia. It's been easy to take with me as well. Here's some advice I have - hopefully it will help you get a better rack than I built.

1. If you're having boards cut, get it done properly. At Home Depot, they used a ripsaw that tore up the edges. It took a lot of sanding to even get that edge respectable. I used real wood, rather than MDF. I think it was oak or pine board, but I don't remember.

2. Despite what the design says, use four rods instead of three. I find the three to be unstable, especially if I have something reasonably heavy on the top shelf. (On that note, load your heavy stuff on the lowest shelves.)

3. If you can find neoprene washers to use between the flat washers and the wood, spring for those. I couldn't find them locally, so I went with O-rings from a plumbing supply store. The neoprene will be pricy, but worth the expense if you plan on keeping the rack for a while.

4. I used cap nuts (acorn nuts) as feet, instead of spikes. I used locking nuts for the top shelf.

5. http://members.cox.net/~tonyptx/homeaudio/flexyrack/  ... this guy did it all. Learn from his example!

My total cost was about $120 and 2-3 days. If you're planning for this to be a "permanent addition" to your listening room, take your time with cutting, drilling, and staining the wood. Sand between coats and you'll be golden.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 10:16:20 AM »
tim--i'm coming over for a listen when i get to CO. Looks like a nice unit--and a conversation piece!!

you're welcome anytime Heath! I told Sara to just imagine that she has a little fireplace in the living room now :)

+T MattD, thanks

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2005, 10:20:36 AM »
I just picked up on of these:

http://www.dynamichometheater.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GSA4&Category_Code=PLA

they had them on www.ubid.com last week for $129 and penny shipping...I was going to build but figured at $129.01, I could justify the marginal amount I pay more than what I would cost for my time to build one...keep an eye on ubid if your interested...none up now...but they have been going up every few days for the past month....

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2005, 10:26:18 AM »
Beautiful looking piece of gear, Tim, and I bet it sounds great!  That's my one and only beef with my Audio Experiences Symphonies - the tubes are hidden.

S'alright, though, I'm gonna jump on the Sony STR-DAx000ES bandwagon sometime soon and move the Symphonies to the home office.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2005, 04:16:16 PM »
Tim - I forgot to ask earlier, what kind of tubes did it come with?  In my experience with my YS-Symphonies and Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 tube rolling can make a huge difference in sound quality and general characteristics. 

If you decide to try out some current production tubes check out Triode Electronics (link below), they've always treated me very well and the tubes are pretty affordable.  I'm sure others can chime in with advice for NOS tube retailers but I've heard great things about Upscale Audio but don't have any firsthand experience since I'm too poor to be able to afford them.  :) 

Triode Electronics:  http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/index.html

Upscale Audio:  http://www.upscaleaudio.com/home.asp

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2005, 05:53:53 PM »
Tim - I forgot to ask earlier, what kind of tubes did it come with? In my experience with my YS-Symphonies and Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 tube rolling can make a huge difference in sound quality and general characteristics.

If you decide to try out some current production tubes check out Triode Electronics (link below), they've always treated me very well and the tubes are pretty affordable. I'm sure others can chime in with advice for NOS tube retailers but I've heard great things about Upscale Audio but don't have any firsthand experience since I'm too poor to be able to afford them. :)

Triode Electronics: http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/index.html

Upscale Audio: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/home.asp

THANK YOU!!!!

I'm not exactly sure what kind of tubes they came with but by all written accounts I can do better. I'm planning on letting it burn in for a month or so before I start changing tubes out. I'm really looking forward to tweaking the sound through the tubes though. The meter you see in the 3rd pic is actually a built in bias meter :)

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2005, 06:18:59 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what kind of tubes they came with but by all written accounts I can do better. I'm planning on letting it burn in for a month or so before I start changing tubes out. I'm really looking forward to tweaking the sound through the tubes though. The meter you see in the 3rd pic is actually a built in bias meter :)

From the pictures the only tubes that I can identify is the pair in the front on the right which appear to be JJ Electonics (formerly Tesla), which are current production tubes made in Slovakia.  What type of tubes are they?  I know I've tried the JJ/Tesla 6922 variety in my X-Can V2 and was kind of disappointed in the results, they seemed just a little bit too smooth and a little less coherent than I'd like.  I think they sounded great on female vocals but didn't fare quite as well with instrumentals.  I'm not sure if these characteristics translate across the entire line or in all usages so as always YMMV.

Edit:  After a bit more research it seems that the JJ 12ax7 tubes are pretty highly regarded current production tubes.  They're evidently copies of the NOS Telefunken tubes, I think I'm going to pick up a set to see how they compare to the real Telefunkens.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 07:35:31 PM by nmculbreth »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2005, 06:24:37 PM »
Did you ever play with changing power tubes?

My current amp has 6550s and the previous owner sent a set of KT88 to swap in.  I've been a little concerned because I've heard that the bias range of KT88 has different boundaries from the 6550s.  I guess they worked for the previous owner. 

How much of a risk am I running/what could go wrong?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2005, 11:19:32 AM »
Tim - I forgot to ask earlier, what kind of tubes did it come with? In my experience with my YS-Symphonies and Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 tube rolling can make a huge difference in sound quality and general characteristics.

If you decide to try out some current production tubes check out Triode Electronics (link below), they've always treated me very well and the tubes are pretty affordable. I'm sure others can chime in with advice for NOS tube retailers but I've heard great things about Upscale Audio but don't have any firsthand experience since I'm too poor to be able to afford them. :)

Triode Electronics: http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/index.html

Upscale Audio: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/home.asp

THANK YOU!!!!

Tim,
   Your tubes offend me.  Please change your avi.  :P
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2005, 11:20:07 AM »
Telefunken r00les your face biatch :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com