Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: toshiba 3960 - flakier than 15 year old valley girl  (Read 21042 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
toshiba 3960 - flakier than 15 year old valley girl
« on: March 25, 2005, 08:30:33 PM »
this thing has a mind of it's own.... I will skip tracks manually with the remote and occasionaly it will just replay the previous track, I will skip 3-4 tracks and the music never changes but the display track does. turning the unit off and on seems to remedy the situation.

also, it will occasionaly just stop working... I'll be listening for 10 minutes or 4 hours, doesn't matter it's totally random and sure enough the thing will just stop for no reason. press play and start the track over and the unit will work just fine.

totally f'in bizarre... anyone else had these issues?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: toshiba 3960 - flakier than 15 year old valley girl
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 08:48:12 PM »
I had a taper-made DVD-A that threw my H/K into a tailspin.
Wouldn't play it, when I hit eject, it played one track, eject again, next track. Eject twice and it would open the transport !
All other discs, CD and DVD-A are OK, so I'm not sure what's up yet.

Have you tried several discs and different types ?

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 08:51:53 PM »
oh yeah, this behavior occurs with any kind of cd that gets thrown into it.

seems to do okay with dvd's though.

I'm not really losing any sleep over it, it's a bit annoying but it's a cheap machine so I'm not terribly heart-broken :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 08:59:50 PM »
My 3960 has some quirks...nothing that bothers me too much for what it does.  Mostly tracking problems like ya said....if I put a disk in, hit play, and leave it alone it does OK.  :)    It also doesn't like to open very quickly sometimes....keeps wanting to "load".

"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 06:17:45 AM »
I dont recall ever experienceing any issues with mine.  Maybe a finicky disc once and a while, but nothing that sticks out in my mind.

fwiw...
the 3960 made Stereophiles list of recomeneded componants.
Class D I believe.
still, thats saying something to make the list!

There were a lot of inexpensive products on that list.  Most of the reviews I had all ready read, but it was cool to catch up.  Lots of integrated amps and DVD universal players (marantz had two models) under $1800 new that were class A rated.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 05:18:03 PM »
You get what you pay for, imho. 

Too bad it's acting up on you though, my attitude towards any cd/dvd player is that it should work flawlessly at least ten years.  My brother had this Pioneer cd player circa December 1992 and that sucker read everything and anything regarding cd's (cdr's included).  It actually never broke, i just wound up upgrading it to a 5 cd changer/1 md deck.  Now i use a Music Hall cd-25 and i love what it does with my headphone rig. 

Is the Toshiba firmware upgradeable?
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 05:49:14 PM »
You get what you pay for, imho.

thanks for that insight.

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 06:13:27 PM »

Too bad it's acting up on you though, my attitude towards any cd/dvd player is that it should work flawlessly at least ten years. 

Ten years?  I don't give anything with moving and/or electronic parts more than 3 years of flawless performance.  Too many things going on when you add moving parts and electricity to not develop problems.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 06:29:58 PM »
How come no one is questioning how he knows how flaky a 15 yr old valley girl is?  :P
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 08:00:02 PM »
How come no one is questioning how he knows how flaky a 15 yr old valley girl is?  :P

It's a given.  :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 08:19:17 AM »

Too bad it's acting up on you though, my attitude towards any cd/dvd player is that it should work flawlessly at least ten years. 

Ten years?  I don't give anything with moving and/or electronic parts more than 3 years of flawless performance.  Too many things going on when you add moving parts and electricity to not develop problems.

I agree with you Brian, when we are talking about electronics made, say, post-1997 or so.  Things since then just seem to be made so cheaply that you are right.  I think it has something to do with adding so many features while trying to keep the price down.  Turntable CD players never seem to last that long...

On the other hand, the first CD player I ever got - a single disc sony player, lasted for 8 or 9 years - prolly got it sometime around 92 or so.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 08:37:37 AM »
Gotta disagree with you guys strongly about the quality of cd players.  If you buy a quality unit from a company that specifically builds sources it will last years down the road unlike a cheap dvd/cd player unit like the Toshiba mentioned in this thread that comes off of a assembly line.

"thanks for that insight."

Anytime.   ;D

People always prop up cheap components and hail them as the next best thing and when they fall apart in a short period of time and people act surprised.  Do yourself a favor and invest in something that was built to last and not mass produced.

I've owned my Sony 7506 headphones and those work flawlessly after four years of operation.  My Grado SR-60 headphones are working flawlessly after 4 1/2 years.  It's all about mass production.  Buy something that comes off of an assembly line and be prepared for defects. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 08:57:42 AM »
with the technology curve that we have seen of CDs->DVD-A->SACD and the upcoming new DVD formats,. you will be lucky if the transport you buy today is even technically feasible in 5 years...10 years, it will be heavy doorjam

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 09:00:10 AM »
with the technology curve that we have seen of CDs->DVD-A->SACD and the upcoming new DVD formats,. you will be lucky if the transport you buy today is even technically feasible in 5 years...10 years, it will be heavy doorjam

IOW, I should hold off on purchasing a universal disk player as long as possible?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 09:02:23 AM »

IOW, I should hold off on purchasing a universal disk player as long as possible?

no, if you try to wait out technology, you will never buy anything...

I was just pointing out that the 10 year argument is flawed due to this...and that is why I am ok with buying cheap transports, that sound good, rather than paying a bunch of money for something that will be outdated....

anyone remember what the tascam cd-writers were going for??

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com