Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: toshiba 3960 - flakier than 15 year old valley girl  (Read 21072 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: toshiba 3960 - flakier than 15 year old valley girl
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2005, 07:50:16 PM »
my 4960 won't spin dvds/cds anymore.  it worked great for a couple of months tho.

I had this happen with mine once.  The chassis in the 4960 REALLY needs to be dampened, as it creates a lot of vibration.  Open the unit up, dampen it, then pull out the connecting ribbon and reattach it to the psb.  My guess is you will be golden.  Otherwise, the other answer is if the unit is still receiving power, there is a loose copnnection probably do to a bad solder joint somewhere.  I would take a look.  If it is entirely worthless to you, and you still have it, I will take it and fix it!

I am embarassed to ask this, since I've reviewed the Vinnie and Swenson mods, and searched audioasylum, headfi, and this forum for an answer, but...

How exactly does one "dampen" the chassis of a player?    I gather that it may/may not involve caulk and/or adhesive linoleum tile.  But where?  How?  Thanks!

I found this on google:  http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?forum=digital&m=85598&highlight=3950

Hit CTRL+F and run a search for dampening.  You'll read a comment about dampening "chasis with rope caulk." 

A person here:  http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t.pl?f=digital&m=85473

Discusses "I already applied the dampening mods to this Toshiba (sticky vinyl tiles inside the chasis)."  Not sure how they exactly they do it. 

This site discusses the 3950 (mentions dampening methods as well): http://www.audiosold.com/articles/toshmod.htm

Hope that helps a little!
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2005, 08:26:39 PM »
The sticky vinyl tiles are probably adhesive floor tiles.  They'll dampen the chassis and sound barrier for transport noise.  Better than flooring tiles is the adhesive deadening material that the car audio guys use.  I think that is some kind of asphault panel with adhesive backing or a material like dynamat.

If you use this stuff, be sure not to cover the ventilation holes or block convection paths when the lid is secured.   I've read some posts where people said that they used too much and it had a bad effect on the sound.   I think that there are recommendations for size and placement of strips on some of the tweak pages.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2005, 09:18:10 PM »
you mean that toshiba is only $60 and it plays dvd-a..? i might have to get one of those...

so what is the consensus life expectancy of the unit..?

Quote from: gloco on March 28, 2005, 07:49:21 PM
DVD-A and SACD are outta here thanks to lack of public interest, so yeah, whoever bought into those formats is screwed royally.

screwed royally?  there are many great SACDs and DVD-As out there that imo are better than their redbook compliant siblings...while it is true that SACD and DVD-A have not taken off, the recordings that have been released in this format are fantastic...as a result, having a player that plays them is important to me.

qft.

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2005, 07:39:36 AM »
I'm under the impression that the 3960 does not play DVD-A...  the 4960 does, but its a bit more expensive... $80 to $90

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Toshiba_SD-4960_DVD
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 07:41:56 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2005, 11:16:46 AM »
Is this 3960 a good choice for CD playback? or is it mainly for DVD playing?
I'm looking for a cheap, but descent quality CD player for my DAW.
One that has good analog outputs, since the amp I'm using now isn't digital.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2005, 11:34:09 AM »
don't quote me on this, but i think i read once that the 3960 is bettery sounding than the 4960, however, the 4960 can do dvda/sacd playback where the 3960 can only do cd.  again, don't quote me, but i think both units can be modded to sound better.

I never had the 3960, but did have the 4960, and I must say that i'd try to use them for audio playback moreso than video playback.  I have an older samsung dvd player that i think the video was much better on, when comparing the two.  plus i absolutely hate the remote for the 4960.  however, my 4960 flaked out...but i think that might be partly my roommates fault and not the actual fault of the player.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2005, 01:10:39 PM »
IS the 3980 the same basic transport as the 3960?
Can the 3960 mod be done in the same way on the 3980?

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2005, 10:52:40 PM »
don't take this for the gospel because I'm not familiar with the new models, but the thing that made the 3960's so attractive was the good chipset that was used in it (a Toshiba chip). After a while though, Toshiba quietly changed the chip in the unit to a bottom-of-the-line Zoran Vaddis 6 chip, without changing the model. It's quite possible then that the new models use this inferior chip, making it less of a steal at that price. This may or may not be true, and it's still a good price, but just a theory...

Also, the later  3960's with this chip are reported to have many more problems, so this might explain the original problems of the thread...
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2005, 07:32:30 AM »
the 3960 sounded rediculously good on redbook playback.
it rivaled my $2k Musical Fidelity CD-PRE24's sound. 
When I bought mine ...I plugged it into the CD-PRE and did some A/B comparrisons of the transports and A/Ds.  I could hear the difference w/the transports, but I could not hear any difference running ananlog.
so, I sold the CD-PRE and was happy.

Now I have a new Toshiba love.
4-5 years ago when SACD and DVD-A were new, Toshiba decided to embrace DVD-A and went with that format for their flagship deck, the SD-9200.  This CD/DVD-A/DVD player costs over $2k new back then.  I think it pushes 40lbs.  BIG bitch...solid transport.  Quality stuff.  Stereophile gave it a class A rating.
So, you know its analog stereo performance kicks ass. 
The best part is...this sucker runs for $450-600 used now.
winky winky!

I use my Sony as a DAC, so in my world it will be passing redbook and DVD-A LPCM.  But if I ever go back to componants, or dont have a DAC...I know I wont really need one to get HQ sound from my playback.  The 9200 should take care of that end with style.  But'...we'll see.
:)
I was going to go w/the Denon 2900 as they are in the same ballpark in terms of used price.  Did my homework for a week, and decided the Toshiba was a better choice for me.

Lots of them out there.
One on eBay now that is only $299 and has not been bid upon.  I think it ends today!!
Too bad I commited to someone on agon or I would have bought it.  $200 cheaper than the regular agon price.
FWIW...

Class A action for cheap.  I love it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 07:36:16 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2005, 11:57:58 AM »
Apparently the toshiba 4960 is a rebadged samsung dvd unit:  

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100799&highlight=toshiba+3960

I know my music hall cd-25 is also a rebadged unit, let me see if i can find the link for that as well.  It seems that quite a few audiophile-like sources are coming out of China at rock bottom prices.  Too bad the shipping costs far outweigh the potential cost savings.

Music Hall is made by shanling out of China I believe.  You can easily get the shanling version much cheaper as well if you look around.  The onix player at av123.com is of the same breed, and mods, commercially speaking are coming from them and are availible from a secondary carrier on audiogon right now as well.   I believe this would be perfect for DIY as well, and if interested, I can find the instructions...though I am not sure it would be worth the time and cost seeing as it is CD only and the 4960 would be universal.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Chuck

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2005, 06:26:59 PM »
the 3960 sounded rediculously good on redbook playback.
it rivaled my $2k Musical Fidelity CD-PRE24's sound. 
When I bought mine ...I plugged it into the CD-PRE and did some A/B comparrisons of the transports and A/Ds.  I could hear the difference w/the transports, but I could not hear any difference running ananlog.
so, I sold the CD-PRE and was happy.

Now I have a new Toshiba love.
4-5 years ago when SACD and DVD-A were new, Toshiba decided to embrace DVD-A and went with that format for their flagship deck, the SD-9200.  This CD/DVD-A/DVD player costs over $2k new back then.  I think it pushes 40lbs.  BIG bitch...solid transport.  Quality stuff.  Stereophile gave it a class A rating.
So, you know its analog stereo performance kicks ass. 
The best part is...this sucker runs for $450-600 used now.
winky winky!

I use my Sony as a DAC, so in my world it will be passing redbook and DVD-A LPCM.  But if I ever go back to componants, or dont have a DAC...I know I wont really need one to get HQ sound from my playback.  The 9200 should take care of that end with style.  But'...we'll see.
:)
I was going to go w/the Denon 2900 as they are in the same ballpark in terms of used price.  Did my homework for a week, and decided the Toshiba was a better choice for me.

Lots of them out there.
One on eBay now that is only $299 and has not been bid upon.  I think it ends today!!
Too bad I commited to someone on agon or I would have bought it.  $200 cheaper than the regular agon price.
FWIW...

Class A action for cheap.  I love it.

Nick, are talking about the stock 3960 here?
Mine has just started getting flaky... It's randomly stop passing signal in the middle of a disc...  ???
Weird. I still like it though.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2005, 08:47:41 PM »

I know my music hall cd-25 is also a rebadged unit, let me see if i can find the link for that as well.  It seems that quite a few audiophile-like sources are coming out of China at rock bottom prices.  Too bad the shipping costs far outweigh the potential cost savings.

Music Hall is made by shanling out of China I believe.  You can easily get the shanling version much cheaper as well if you look around.  The onix player at av123.com is of the same breed, and mods, commercially speaking are coming from them and are availible from a secondary carrier on audiogon right now as well.   I believe this would be perfect for DIY as well, and if interested, I can find the instructions...though I am not sure it would be worth the time and cost seeing as it is CD only and the 4960 would be universal.

Indeed.  I've been thinking about upgrading from my cd-25 to a universal player so i can enjoy some dvd-a and sacd titles out there.  I'm sure i'll take the plunge sometime this year as well as upgrade the headphone amp. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2005, 10:10:50 PM »
Seeing as I do all 24 bit, having a cd player only makes zero sense to me at the moment.  That said, those with lots of cd titles swear by them, and I have no doubt they make a differnce. 

Now, if I could just figure out how to set-up my new subwoofer, which weighs 90 freaking pounds, we will be in business!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2005, 07:16:47 AM »

I know my music hall cd-25 is also a rebadged unit, let me see if i can find the link for that as well.  It seems that quite a few audiophile-like sources are coming out of China at rock bottom prices.  Too bad the shipping costs far outweigh the potential cost savings.

Music Hall is made by shanling out of China I believe.

other way around.
Shanling is made by music hall

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2005, 07:18:59 AM »
yes, that was a stock 3960 btw.  I ended up sending it out for modifications...and then it sounded even better.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com