Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which headphones would you buy?  (Read 21147 times)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Which headphones would you buy?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2003, 11:40:28 AM »
what kind of headphone amps are you guys using?  solid state? tube?

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2003, 01:24:45 PM »

marc

I'm just using an Airhead with my AKG K501s.  I'm thinking of switching to a tube headphone amp.  Anyone have tube headphone amp suggestions?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2003, 01:36:10 PM »
At the moment I'm using my Benchmark DAC for headphone listening. It's a little redundant to purchase an additional headphone amp in my system but I would think Grado's headphone amps sound good. I have also heard the Creek is a good amp as well. Listen first if possible.
carl
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2003, 02:20:56 PM »

marc

I'm just using an Airhead with my AKG K501s.  I'm thinking of switching to a tube headphone amp.  Anyone have tube headphone amp suggestions?

I dont think the akg's+tube amp mix well (based on what i've read and after trying my pair with my MG head), check head-fi for some comments regarding matching the 501's with an amp.  
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline George

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2003, 02:26:47 PM »
I go absolutely bonkers with supra-aural headphones, regardless of sound quality.  Sensitive ears, I guess.

I'm in the same boat. I have a pair of 7506s and can only use them for short periods of time. Might have to check out the AKGs.

Is the comfort of the headphones lacking?  For all the 7506 owners out there, there is a Beyer pad mod available.  You can contact beyerdynamic and order a pair of Velour pads for the Beyer DT250 headphone, these are exactly the same size as the crappy pleather pads on the 7506's.  I tell ya, it really does add a lot of comfort factor to the 7506's with the velour pads.

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2003, 04:40:26 PM »
I dont think the akg's+tube amp mix well (based on what i've read and after trying my pair with my MG head), check head-fi for some comments regarding matching the 501's with an amp.  

Hmmmm...just starting to consider this, I'll definitely check out headfi.  Thanks, Gloco.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline George

« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2003, 07:14:26 PM »

Hmmmm...just starting to consider this, I'll definitely check out headfi.  Thanks, Gloco.

Cool.  Prepare to kiss your money good bye, after finding head-fi back in 2001, i now own 11 headphones, it's insanity i tell you.   ;D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2003, 08:25:03 PM »
i just got my hd580s and they're amazing, i'm listening to some of tapes and hearing details that i've never heard before.  they sound great run through my mp2's internal headphone amp so i can't wait to try them out w/ my x-cans v2.  the only downside is that i have a feeling this is going to a start to a very expensive process of building a nice sounding hifi system.     :)

Offline George

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2003, 09:32:46 PM »
the only downside is that i have a feeling this is going to a start to a very expensive process of building a nice sounding hifi system.     :)

Congrats on the 580's, they are a great headphone for the money, very non-fatiguing headphones.  They mate very well with tube amps, so enjoy and prepare to have the urge to listen to your entire cd collection over again   8)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2003, 09:04:13 PM »
i just got my hd580s and they're amazing, i'm listening to some of tapes and hearing details that i've never heard before.  they sound great run through my mp2's internal headphone amp so i can't wait to try them out w/ my x-cans v2.  the only downside is that i have a feeling this is going to a start to a very expensive process of building a nice sounding hifi system.     :)

I have a pair of the 580s and they are amazing, very comfortable too.  However, I don't think I'd ever take them in the field.  They don't isolate any noise and where the wire enters the ear piece is quite fragile.  The one on my right ear occasionally comes loose.  Of course they are like 4 years old...  My dad picked up a pair of the 600s last year I guess, but I didn't think they were as comfortable.

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2004, 12:27:51 AM »

I have a pair of the 580s and they are amazing, very comfortable too.  However, I don't think I'd ever take them in the field.  They don't isolate any noise and where the wire enters the ear piece is quite fragile.  The one on my right ear occasionally comes loose.  Of course they are like 4 years old...  My dad picked up a pair of the 600s last year I guess, but I didn't think they were as comfortable.

--hoyt

yeah, they'd be useless in the field but they sure are nice to use at home.  they sound great all by themselves but putting a nice amp in front of them has taken them to a whole new level.  once i try out some different tubes i think i'll be content for a long time.   :)

Offline George

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2004, 07:10:44 PM »

--hoyt

yeah, they'd be useless in the field but they sure are nice to use at home.  they sound great all by themselves but putting a nice amp in front of them has taken them to a whole new level.  once i try out some different tubes i think i'll be content for a long time.   :)

What kind of tube amp do you own?  

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2004, 06:49:55 PM »
OK, thanks to Alex I bought a set of the Grado SR80s and these things are amazing....they put my MDR-V600s to shame (not that I didnt think they would, I just didnt think it would be this dramatic)...amazing.  Next up is a good headphone amp!

If you dont have a good set of headphones, get a pair!

Offline George

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2004, 08:34:58 PM »
OK, thanks to Alex I bought a set of the Grado SR80s and these things are amazing....they put my MDR-V600s to shame (not that I didnt think they would, I just didnt think it would be this dramatic)...amazing.  Next up is a good headphone amp!

If you dont have a good set of headphones, get a pair!

Welcome to Team Grado  ;D

Next up...a warm amp to smooth out the brightness on the Grado's.

Check out www.head-fi.org for amp suggestions for the Grado's.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline stvgray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Start at the beginning....
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2004, 08:48:33 PM »
My two cents...

I've owned Grado Reference headphones, and I now own a pair of Sennheiser HD580s, a pair of Sennheiser HD600s, and a pair of Etymotic ER-4s's with custom-fitted earplugs. And a long, long time ago, I owned a pair of Stax Mark III electrostatic phones (stolen in the '70s ... sigh).

I sold the Grados after I got the 580s, because the Senns kicked their hiny. I gave the 580s to my son after I bought the 600s (new on eBay for $215) because they were noticeably better in every way -- deeper, smoother bass, sweeter, airier highs, and more transparent mids.

I don't use the Etymotics much, because they're a pain to put in and because I don't monitor while recording in the field. They're great on airplanes, though. They're definitely thin on thin the bottom compared to other great phones, but excellent overall.

AKG 460s - DIY digi-mod UA5 - JB3 or DAP-1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com