Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mini-me standalone thoughts  (Read 21762 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
mini-me standalone thoughts
« on: March 13, 2003, 09:07:21 PM »
Well, again I am contemplating switching some gear, because I would like to move onto an all-in-one solution.  The bag is getting awfully heavy.  Anyway, what are the opinions of the mini-me pre and a/d combo, run mic in?  I could probably pull off a mini-me by selling the sax and ad1k.  Any comments on what you think would sound better?

FYI I run: Microtech Gefell m200->sonosax sx-m2->apogee ad1k->tascam da-p1

Thanks

Daryan

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:mini-me standalone thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »
I have been using the mini-me as a stand alone unit for about 20 shows now. All the talk of the pre in it being weak is mostly bull. I ran a V2 in front for ahwile and found the mini-me by it's self to do just fine. The A/D in it is the best. If you like the apogee sound, then you will love the mini-me. The mini-me is very warm, very analogish but the highs and mids are also good. It has a real "umph" in the low end that is it's trademark in my opinion. I am sure with the Gefells it would sound great. I just got a V3 to test out and will get back with what I think about that soon, but you can't go wrong with either or.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 10:02:48 AM »
I have run a few shows with it (four to be exact) and my impressions / notes are the following:

-- The preamp is very, very clean.  I can't really call it "weak" because of the jumper situation; if you want more gain, just switch the jumper to the high gain position.

-- What the hell does this mean anyway: a "weak" preamp?  How is weakness a sonic quality?  I really don't understand this terminology as it applies to a sonic characteristic.

-- I know that I will catch hell for this, but I don't think that the A/D in the unit is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  That said, it is still better than anything out there in the taping realm.  It has a sheen applied over everything, almost like an audible processing effect that you may hear on a Backstreet Boys album.  It is not neutral, but sounds "digitalized" in a warm sort of way, if that makes any sense.

-- I still prefer this unit over anything else out there with my mics.  I can't decide, however, whether the sound is ultra-clean or a bit hazy with the A/D.

-- I really do need to tape some more to get a better feel for this unit.  So take the above comments with a grain of salt.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 11:30:21 AM »

-- I know that I will catch hell for this, but I don't think that the A/D in the unit is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  That said, it is still better than anything out there in the taping realm.

Jaime,
I feel ya man. I'm not totally sold on the a/d stage either. The highs/high mids are nice, but I find the low end to be a little cloudy (in an airy/empty sort of way) at times, IMHO. Warm, but not as defined/present as I would like. At least this is what I get out of my tapes. On another well-known board I heard someone refer to the low end sound as being kind of "tubby" and I totally agree with that description. With that said, I also feel that it's still one the best a/d's out there right now. I've only heard things about the pre section, I've never used it myself. I guess I'll get the chance sooner than later because of the fact that my new pre won't be ready for some time now. I just don't feel like switching the jumpers again....damn I'm lazy!  ::) 8) ;D

Kevin

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 11:52:44 AM »
I guess what I meant by the best, is that it's currently the best portable A/D out there now. There is always room for improvement. Look forward to checking out the V3 next weekend to see how it stacks up.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

DaryanLenz

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 11:55:14 AM »
Well, I can't lie, I love the apogee sound.  How does the a/d section compare to the ad1k?  I have an ad1k, and the only reason I want to switch, and I mean the only reason, is because of the all in one box appeal.  Thanks, and keep those comments coming!

Daryan

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 12:03:18 PM »
personally I think the sound of the mini me will be completely different that sax>ad1k which may be good in your case, dunno if I would want a sax behind geffells or not. Guess thats a personal opinion. Most people I tape with (i.e. all Panic tapers) HATE the sonosax, I believe used correctly it can sound great. The mini pre is more transparent than the sax which a fuller bottom end to my ears. All depends on yer tastes.

Cheers to my 3rd star.

Trey
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 12:25:02 PM »
+T for Trey.  ;D

DaryanLenz

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 12:38:28 PM »
I like the sax, I am not sure why it gets a bad rep.  I think however, that it aounded better with the mbho's than it does with the gefells.  The gefells seem darker to me than the mbho's, so I think that may be where the sax comes into play.  Do you think the minime would produce better tapes than the sax->ad1k combo?

Daryan

why does the sax get such a bad rep with panic tapers anyhoo?  Everyone I know that has one really likes it...plus it is tiny!

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 01:35:51 PM »
Well, after thinking about it, and remembering the interest free credit I have at musicians friend, I think I may sell the ad1k, and pick up a mini-me with the credit and the money then do I a/b with the sax to see if I want to keep it or not.  I love the sax, so that will probably be what I do.  Can I run a mini-me off of a 6v battery?  That sure would be nice!

Daryan

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 01:40:16 PM »
Best thing to do would be to find a MME you could run for a comparison.  I haven't heard MG200>MME yet, so it's hard to say how it'll sound by just guessing.

I know Rev Kev has a MME now, in your general vicinity.  He'd probably be down for a comparison tape one night, even if it's Set 1 sax>adk, Set 2 >MME.  

DaryanLenz

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2003, 01:52:16 PM »
Yeah, I see Kevin from time to time, and could probably pull this off.  Has anyone done an ad1k vs. minime comparision line-in at all?  My guess would be the minime sounds better, but having not heard a direct comparision, I don't really know.

Daryan

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2003, 02:02:48 PM »
Yes, you can run a MMe off a 6-volt.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Tim

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2003, 02:15:21 PM »
 Can I run a mini-me off of a 6v battery?  That sure would be nice!

Yep that's no problem.

If you like the Apogee sound you'll love the MiniMe. The pre section is passable but depending on what sound you are going for an outboard pre may be useful. I did a V2/MMe pre comparison and I found them to sound very similiar, if that gives you any sort of frame of reference.

I've spent some quality time with the V3 lately and I really like it but I am an Apogee man at heart so I'm sticking with the MiniMe. I like the warmth of the MiniMe over the transparency of the V3.

I think Jamie made some good points, I can see where you might describe the sound as having a sheen over it... but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing depending on your ears and your rig. The ak50's that I run can be pretty bright but when matched with the MiniMe I think that they compliment each other nicely. I ran a V3 in Denver for Phish and while they sound pretty nice I definitely miss having that Apogee sound there to warm up my mics.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2003, 02:23:34 PM »
Daryan-

I would def listen before I bought anything. Ideally you want an oade m148, hehe. I like the sound of the mini me and would run it alone if I didn't have an oade m148. Also, I think many folks have heard bad combinations of the sax or the sax run wrong or on inferior or undesirable playback sysytems. If your a sax lover then please dont switch, unless it just doesn't sound right with the geffells. But trust your ears.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com