Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable Comparison with The Mic Hybrid & Hydra mic cables  (Read 39091 times)

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
Re: Cable Comparison with The Mic Hybrid & Hydra mic cables
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
Not comparing takes, but comparing the same take with one mic/cable per channel.
using two mics. Anyone can do this test if they have matched mics. You only need two tracks.
I don't see the need to compare a pair of cables, one should suffice.

I plan on letting the picker play about one minute for each comparison.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2007, 12:32:16 PM »
Not comparing takes, but comparing the same take with one mic/cable per channel.
using two mics. Anyone can do this test if they have matched mics. You only need two tracks.
I don't see the need to compare a pair of cables, one should suffice.

I plan on letting the picker play about one minute for each comparison.

That test will not provide accurate results because you cant get two mics to be exactly matched. And you cant get both mics in the same exact spot. So the tracks will sound different by them selves with out any help from the cable. That will not give a good indication of the cable but a indication of mic placement. I think you need one Microphone one track played back thru a monitor and miked. That's the only way to duplicate the tracks exactly and have the only variable be the cable it self. I know its not ideal in the sense of fidelity but its ideal in the sense that if there are differences we will hear them. Doing several takes with different mic position is not a good test IMHO.
Phil I am very sure you are aware if you move a mic a mm here or a mm there it makes a huge difference this is why only one mic in a fixed position can be used and since you cant get the player to sit still but you can get a studio monitor to "sit still" you can do the test and get repeatable results. I cant stress enough how important controls are to eliminate any other cause for a difference in sound quality between tracks. If we cant do that there is no point in doing a test. I think the results need to be repeatable in order for the test to have any validity.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:35:05 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2007, 12:37:27 PM »
Chris, why don't you do the test yourself? You seem to have all the anwers.
Do the test and let's hear the results.

I didn't ever say multiple takes, I said one take, one mic, one cable, one guitar.
nevermind. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2007, 12:44:38 PM »
Chris, why don't you do the test yourself? You seem to have all the anwers.
Do the test and let's hear the results.

I didn't ever say multiple takes, I said one take, one mic, one cable, one guitar.
nevermind. 

Oh ok so how do you change mic cables then? I dont understand dont get pissed off explain what you mean since I obviously dont get what your saying.

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2007, 01:01:03 PM »
Read the first post I made, it explained how I was going to do the test.
Forget it, not interested in having you pick apart every sort of test that I would do and claiming it's flawed.
Some people do stuff just for fun, comparisons are always flawed in some way. It doesn't have to be perfect to hear noticable and rewarding results.

Just do the test yourself Chris, that way you can be sure it is perfect.
I'm out of this thread.

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »
The Mic Hybrid cables aren't going to be back here until early April.  I will do the mono and stereo tests in front of my stereo, directly into the 722.  I'll even take pictures.  Once the theory that mic cables are capable of making a difference, any difference at all...we're going to get back to making comparison tapes at venues and talking about that.

Chris, did you listen to the recordings?  What do you think caused the second set to sound better?  I realize the comparison doesn't hold weight in your eyes, but the difference in sound is pretty hard to miss.  What do you think caused the sound to change the way it did?  I'm asking you because of your FOH experience.

Chris

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 01:12:49 PM »
The Mic Hybrid cables aren't going to be back here until early April.  I will do the mono and stereo tests in front of my stereo, directly into the 722.  I'll even take pictures.  Once the theory that mic cables are capable of making a difference, any difference at all...we're going to get back to making comparison tapes at venues and talking about that.

Chris, did you listen to the recordings?  What do you think caused the second set to sound better?  I realize the comparison doesn't hold weight in your eyes, but the difference in sound is pretty hard to miss.  What do you think caused the sound to change the way it did?  I'm asking you because of your FOH experience.

Chris

I will tell you what please if you want to send me a cable I will do the test here. I will do it with a method that has repeatable results. If people are going to say that cables make a difference why not do this simple test take a recorder and a preamp and simply swap the cables out plug a cd player into the input of the preamp and lets have two sample files with the two sets of cables with the same exact track. If I was in the cable business I would sure want a test that no one could argue as not valid. I think its all about eliminating variables. And having a test that can not be argued away.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2007, 01:19:05 PM »

csheperd,

Give it up trying to explain something to someone who has proven over and over to just not "get it".   Mr. Taper errrr I mean Chris Church just likes the sound of his own voice/posts and has now won over more friends by polluting two cable threads in as many days.   Ugggh. 

I for one look forward to using your loaner pair and will attempt a comp using both pairs of my 480's in the future.

cshepherd

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2007, 01:30:24 PM »
I'll take that as a 'No, I didn't listen to the recordings'.  I would rather send the cables out to someone who's taping a show.  I can do a lab test in ten minutes right here at home. 

Chris

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2007, 01:37:24 PM »
I'll take that as a 'No, I didn't listen to the recordings'.  I would rather send the cables out to someone who's taping a show.  I can do a lab test in ten minutes right here at home. 

Chris

Then do it and upload the files...

Then we can all have a listen! Great Idea when can we expect them?

Offline Brian

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2007, 01:46:44 PM »
be sure to use white and pink noise so i can i can vigorously analyze the spectrum analyzer.  who knows what my ears are hearing ;)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2007, 01:53:15 PM »
be sure to use white and pink noise so i can i can vigorously analyze the spectrum analyzer.  who knows what my ears are hearing ;)

LoL I am not about using a spectrum analyzer. I have been using my ears for a long time. The products I build dont just get analyzed they get listened too  ;) I am not all about being Mr Lab coat like I have been made out. I am about making sure you can remove the variables in a test so we know what it is exactly that is creating a difference if one does exist.

Offline Brian

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2007, 02:00:11 PM »
I am not all about being Mr Lab coat like I have been made out.

hey now. these guys recorded the beatles and they wore lab coats.  it's cool to wear lab coats

:bigsmile:

cshepherd

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »
Early April, Chris.  In the mean time, I would love to hear your theory on the differences in sound between these sets. 

Chris

Chris

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2007, 02:03:16 PM »
I am not all about being Mr Lab coat like I have been made out.

hey now. these guys recorded the beatles and they wore lab coats.  it's cool to wear lab coats

:bigsmile:

Yes but thats not my thing man.. I dont like the lab coat. I like lab rats... though... what do you think that means?  :guitarist:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com