Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphone cable recomendations?  (Read 8603 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Microphone cable recomendations?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 04:45:56 PM »
Chuck --

Just as an fyi, I believe the cables you have from me are 20ga 2cond+shield cables.  So if you like the silver-clad, teflon cable sound, you might want to look at making cables from 24ga or 26ga wire, as they will be much more flexible for you.

And now for the huge aside on cables:

When it comes down to it, everything is a tradeoff.  Smaller cables are more convenient, but you run the risk that given the rough field conditions our cables are subject to, smaller cables which encase thinner wires will not hold up as well over time.  4-wire for 2-conductor construction (star-quad) has better noise handling properties, but also has more capacitance between the wires in the cable compared to a two-wire construction, and that capacitance has a negative impact on sound.  Thinner gauge wires also have less capacitance compared to larger wires, but have more resistance per foot (which is bad) and as above, have the potential to not last as long over rough and tumble field conditions.

The first generation of cables I made, about 1400' worth of cables, used a 4-cond 24ga starquad construction, yielding an effective overall per conductor path awg of about 21ga.  But after re-assessing my beliefs on the need for better noise handling in typical ts.com PA recordings vs the potential impact of higher capacitance (esp since the majority of the cables I was selling were for interconnects handling line level signals, not mic cables), I decided for optimal sound it would be better to get away from the starquad construction and go to a simple 2-wire construction.

From that point on, for my second generation cables, I always used 20ga cable stock.  From my view, the 20ga cable allowed for a pretty compact cable and also had larger gauge wire, which should be more robust and have a longer usable lifetime than thinner guage cables.  From my standpoint, 20ga 2-cond cables seemed to be a pretty good balance point in terms of size, noise handling, sound, robustness, etc.  However, if flexibility is a concern, moving to smaller guage cables will increase the overall cable flexibility.

Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 04:54:07 PM »
the 20awg can be a little thick and stiff...but still is easy to handle.  the 22awg is *perfect*, when you get up to 24+, then like you said...they can break easy right at the solder joint.  I've had to fix a half dozen of 24awg cables that snapped like I said.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 05:38:23 PM »
the 20awg can be a little thick and stiff...but still is easy to handle.  the 22awg is *perfect*, when you get up to 24+, then like you said...they can break easy right at the solder joint.  I've had to fix a half dozen of 24awg cables that snapped like I said.

I agree with the 20 awg being pretty thick & stiff.  I think 22 awg is as big as I'd go for our purposes.  That being said, I would disagree that 24 awg is too thin for 2-conductor construction.  I have not experienced the cable breaking at the solder joint using this size wire.  It's ultimately a function of the strain relief built into the connection/connector being able to absorb the force & not the solder joint.  If you don't have adequate strain relief to perform this task, the stress is carried by the solder joint.  That causes cable failure, which is bad. 

Now, when you get to using 26 or 28 awg wire, it becomes even more important to have adequate strain relief built in, or you will definitely have these problems.  That was where my previous statements regarding the 1804a & the stock MBHO active cables was drawn from.  The stock MBHO cable is especially fragile.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 05:51:15 PM »
some of that 24awg 2 conducutor is just thin thin thin...and when the chuck is screwed on , if it doesn't catch the wire a a "fat spot", then problems come.

that is the problem w/millspec.  consistency is hard to come by, unless you buy HUGE bulk, which I seldom see.

I do like the selection I get when ordering 100' pieces at a time though.  I've got some crazy ass cable right now that is 20awg, and each conductor is individualy shielded and not the whole wire.  weird stuff...but really nice.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 06:50:09 PM »
Chuck --

Just as an fyi, I believe the cables you have from me are 20ga 2cond+shield cables.  So if you like the silver-clad, teflon cable sound, you might want to look at making cables from 24ga or 26ga wire, as they will be much more flexible for you.

And now for the huge aside on cables:

When it comes down to it, everything is a tradeoff.  Smaller cables are more convenient, but you run the risk that given the rough field conditions our cables are subject to, smaller cables which encase thinner wires will not hold up as well over time.  4-wire for 2-conductor construction (star-quad) has better noise handling properties, but also has more capacitance between the wires in the cable compared to a two-wire construction, and that capacitance has a negative impact on sound.  Thinner gauge wires also have less capacitance compared to larger wires, but have more resistance per foot (which is bad) and as above, have the potential to not last as long over rough and tumble field conditions.

The first generation of cables I made, about 1400' worth of cables, used a 4-cond 24ga starquad construction, yielding an effective overall per conductor path awg of about 21ga.  But after re-assessing my beliefs on the need for better noise handling in typical ts.com PA recordings vs the potential impact of higher capacitance (esp since the majority of the cables I was selling were for interconnects handling line level signals, not mic cables), I decided for optimal sound it would be better to get away from the starquad construction and go to a simple 2-wire construction.

From that point on, for my second generation cables, I always used 20ga cable stock.  From my view, the 20ga cable allowed for a pretty compact cable and also had larger gauge wire, which should be more robust and have a longer usable lifetime than thinner guage cables.  From my standpoint, 20ga 2-cond cables seemed to be a pretty good balance point in terms of size, noise handling, sound, robustness, etc.  However, if flexibility is a concern, moving to smaller guage cables will increase the overall cable flexibility.

I, actually, really like your cables, Todd. I appreciate the detailed explanation you offered on your thought process in designing the cables.

I had made every pair of cables I've used before I bought the ones you made for me.

What I am concerned with is sound transmission (physically) from the cables to the microphones. The way I run them, with right angles on the microphone side, leaves the cable very stiff and able to transmit sound via vibrations to the microphones. I did some *thump* tests at home and found the old Canare cables I made, transmit less noise from the stand vibration or being hit than the Segues. When I ran the Canares, I was able to make a loop in the cable before it attached to the microphone, so that the cable is more able to absorb the noise and not transmit it to the mics. Before I get new cables, I'll put some straight connectors on the microphone side of the Segues, and see if I can get a loop in the cable at the microphone side. I also saw Ed's Ultra Stealths and have a bit of cable envy  ;D as those pack even smaller and have the cool turned down connectors.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 03:45:29 AM »
couple layers of adhesive lined shrink tubing will fix that
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 07:14:40 AM »
yup. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com