Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: zoom h2  (Read 143843 times)

Offline Emile

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: zoom h2
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »
Ok, but still..

Should mic in (without plug in power) with bat box work as well?
SP-CMC-2 (AT831s) > SP-SPSB-1 > SP-XLRM-MINI-2 > Edirol UA-5 bm2p+ (Toslink out) > (Optical in) iRiver iHP-120 (CF Mod 16 GB / Rockbox 3.13)
Recordings on LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/emileh

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #241 on: March 02, 2008, 03:18:05 PM »
Ok, but still..

Should mic in (without plug in power) with bat box work as well?

As a general rule using a battery box on the mic input is not really a good idea.. but it should not be a problem as long as the person who built the battery box has built it correctly :)
And plugging in a battery box backwards into a powered mic input can have really bad results for the power supply of the device your connecting it too... Yet another reason why its not a good idea. Its like Ghost busters when they crossed the streams sure they could do it but it was still not a good idea.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline kjun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #242 on: March 03, 2008, 05:08:34 PM »
Chris,
Also have an H2 and would be interested in knowing which preamp and mics of yours would be the best match with the H2. Can't wait to see what mods you come up with.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #243 on: March 03, 2008, 07:47:26 PM »
Ok can someone give me some of the main issues with performance that the H2 has.
I have come up with a mod that I think might be good...

I was thinking of adding two stereo mic inputs so that users could use external mics for recording in 4 channel this set of mic jacks would "disconnect" the mic capsules from the mics and allow you to use a separate battery box and your own mics for recording Or a preamp. I think that what ever battery box you use should have some kind of attenuator on them to reduce the level.. somewhat. This is my first thoughts.

Offline gearscout

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #244 on: March 03, 2008, 09:10:11 PM »

As a general rule using a battery box on the mic input is not really a good idea.. but it should not be a problem as long as the person who built the battery box has built it correctly :)
And plugging in a battery box backwards into a powered mic input can have really bad results for the power supply of the device your connecting it too... Yet another reason why its not a good idea. Its like Ghost busters when they crossed the streams sure they could do it but it was still not a good idea.

I think a lot of people may be getting confused.  Very confused.

Let's hope the battery boxes are wired correctly, but are they REALLY sending their power to the recording device or to the microphone?  My experience has been that the battery box increases the effectiveness of the microphone into "Mic In" -- more signal, depth and performance.

It is my understanding, from microphone manufacturers, that supplying voltage to their microphones is good, but not a replacement for a pre-amp.

If you think otherwise, please say so clearly.  Explain the circumstances and battery boxes you think enable a microphone to become "Line In" enabled.  I know of NONE.

Check out Giant Squid Audio...they make little custom mics like Church Audio.  The developer has told me that supplying, for example, +48v to his mics would "fry" them.  His 9v battery box does a good job of increasing the signal to "Mic In" but does nothing for "Line In."

At the same time, he doesn't assert that a battery used to increase the performance of the microphone will approach a pre-amp in any way -- meaning it's not, NOT ready for Line In.

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-micline1.html

I have used the H2 with Mic In, I have used it with Line In when using the Shure FP23 pre-amp.  The signal through the pre-amp is wholly superior.  But for a $200 recorder to use a $400 pre-amp is not cost-effective, IMHO.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »

I think a lot of people may be getting confused.  Very confused.

Let's hope the battery boxes are wired correctly, but are they REALLY sending their power to the recording device or to the microphone?  My experience has been that the battery box increases the effectiveness of the microphone into "Mic In" -- more signal, depth and performance.

It is my understanding, from microphone manufacturers, that supplying voltage to their microphones is good, but not a replacement for a pre-amp.

If you think otherwise, please say so clearly.  Explain the circumstances and battery boxes you think enable a microphone to become "Line In" enabled.  I know of NONE.

Check out Giant Squid Audio...they make little custom mics like Church Audio.  The developer has told me that supplying, for example, +48v to his mics would "fry" them.  His 9v battery box does a good job of increasing the signal to "Mic In" but does nothing for "Line In."

At the same time, he doesn't assert that a battery used to increase the performance of the microphone will approach a pre-amp in any way -- meaning it's not, NOT ready for Line In.

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-micline1.html

I have used the H2 with Mic In, I have used it with Line In when using the Shure FP23 pre-amp.  The signal through the pre-amp is wholly superior.  But for a $200 recorder to use a $400 pre-amp is not cost-effective, IMHO.

Your not saying I am confused are you?  ;)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #246 on: March 03, 2008, 10:21:50 PM »
  But for a $200 recorder to use a $400 pre-amp is not cost-effective, IMHO.

I dunno. I've used my H2 with Church Audio's CA-11 cards and the CA-9100 preamp plugged into into the line in with very good results. It makes for a nice portable package with the H2 handling D/A conversion and acting as a solid-state bit bucket. The Church Audio gear is better than the mic/preamp setup built into the H2 and that way I can run the mics up a stand (or elsewhere) while being able to monitor the H2 screen easily. There may be more affordable or more practical ways to go about it but I bought the H2 first then later stepped up things with the Church Audio package.

I now use a Studio Projects C4>UA-5>laptop DAW setup when I can but the CA-11>CA-9100>H2 rig gives me a small portable and easily powered rig for those shows where power and/or discretion is a problem. Then if I need to, I can just run the H2 which works quite nicely and discretely hidden inside its black storage bag (don't throw it away!). I've gotten some ok recordings with the recorder in my top pocket that way!
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #247 on: March 03, 2008, 10:46:41 PM »
Ok can someone give me some of the main issues with performance that the H2 has.

Well, for starters, there is someone who claims to be an audio authority who says that the H2 is junk.  ;)
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #248 on: March 03, 2008, 11:20:53 PM »

Well, for starters, there is someone who claims to be an audio authority who says that the H2 is junk.  ;)

Well if your referring to me I do think that its not the best built recording device I have ever looked at the insides of.. But I don't think its total junk.. I was actually trying to come up with a few useful mods for it. I have one now here at my shop for testing.. I have done some tests on it and I can see some areas where I can improve the performance. I still don't really get your point. Maybe you could tell me exactly what your talking about.

I just realized that your Philip from Washago the same guy that wanted to do a local pickup at my house and I said no. Are you still mad at me because I said no? or do you have a point ;) I told you that a preamp would not make a huge difference for your application because the noise floor would still be too great. You got pissed off.. Because I said the preamp in the H2 is junk and to be honest it is.  My point to these post in the H2 thread are to try and come up with useful mods for this product, like the mod I came up with for the Edirol R-09. 

Chris
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:48:52 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline Emile

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #249 on: March 04, 2008, 03:55:03 AM »
Ok I did my first tape using the Zoom H2 yesterday..

Had to go Mic in cause Line in is broken.. set the plug in power to off, so my (really basic) rig was:
AT831s > SP-SPSB-1 (w/ bass roll-off at 95Hz) > Zoom H2 (Mic in)

Tape came out fine.. Sure not A++.. I dont have an edirol recorder with schoeps mics, so thats not possible..

Anyways, was very happy with the result overall.. Mic in definitely made the sound alot hotter the line in, but that was ok for this particulair gig..

Well, thanks for the help everyone! I will take my Zoom H2 back to the store anyways, cause of the line in.. want a new one
SP-CMC-2 (AT831s) > SP-SPSB-1 > SP-XLRM-MINI-2 > Edirol UA-5 bm2p+ (Toslink out) > (Optical in) iRiver iHP-120 (CF Mod 16 GB / Rockbox 3.13)
Recordings on LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/emileh

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #250 on: March 04, 2008, 08:14:43 AM »

Well if your referring to me I do think that its not the best built recording device I have ever looked at the insides of.. But I don't think its total junk.. I was actually trying to come up with a few useful mods for it. I have one now here at my shop for testing.. I have done some tests on it and I can see some areas where I can improve the performance. I still don't really get your point. Maybe you could tell me exactly what your talking about.

I just realized that your Philip from Washago the same guy that wanted to do a local pickup at my house and I said no. Are you still mad at me because I said no? or do you have a point ;) I told you that a preamp would not make a huge difference for your application because the noise floor would still be too great. You got pissed off.. Because I said the preamp in the H2 is junk and to be honest it is.  My point to these post in the H2 thread are to try and come up with useful mods for this product, like the mod I came up with for the Edirol R-09. 

Chris

I am not at all "pissed off". I understand why you would not want strangers coming to your house. You have forgotten that in fact we arranged to meet at the Tim's Donuts near your place for a pick-up recently and that arrangement was perfectly satisfactory to me. Anyone on this board can understand that I'd want to avoid shipping charges when I only live 45 minutes away from you.

I just don't understand how someone who dismissed the H2 so completely could suddenly be in the business of providing mods that don't address the main issue you raised.

You wrote:
"I have been a sound engineer for 20 years. When I SAY a recorder is junk it's junk. I have tested this recorder in my lab: the self noise was out of control."

I assume you do not think the H2 is in the same class, preamp-wise, with the Edirol.

Anyway, I think your idea to provide mic in's for the four internals is a good idea that I've been thinking about for awhile. What about a four channel preamp? Or a fix for the line-in?

Don't worry. I'm on your side. We Muskokans have to stick together -- it's so bloody cold! ;D
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #251 on: March 04, 2008, 07:41:06 PM »

Chris

I am not at all "pissed off". I understand why you would not want strangers coming to your house. You have forgotten that in fact we arranged to meet at the Tim's Donuts near your place for a pick-up recently and that arrangement was perfectly satisfactory to me. Anyone on this board can understand that I'd want to avoid shipping charges when I only live 45 minutes away from you.

I just don't understand how someone who dismissed the H2 so completely could suddenly be in the business of providing mods that don't address the main issue you raised.

You wrote:
"I have been a sound engineer for 20 years. When I SAY a recorder is junk it's junk. I have tested this recorder in my lab: the self noise was out of control."

I assume you do not think the H2 is in the same class, preamp-wise, with the Edirol.

Anyway, I think your idea to provide mic in's for the four internals is a good idea that I've been thinking about for awhile. What about a four channel preamp? Or a fix for the line-in?

Don't worry. I'm on your side. We Muskokans have to stick together -- it's so bloody cold! ;D

Anyone who can spell Muskokans cant be all that bad.  ;) Give me a call some time you have my number, I think if not send me a pm.

Chris

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #252 on: March 05, 2008, 09:44:53 AM »

Chris

You wrote:

Anyone who can spell Muskokans cant be all that bad.  ;) Give me a call some time you have my number, I think if not send me a pm.

Chris

Will do, Chris. Here's hoping the firewood lasts to the end of April.  ;D

Offline gforcewarning

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #253 on: March 05, 2008, 08:19:29 PM »
Chris,

I think the mod you're talking about is a great idea.  It would love to be able to record mics to 2 channels and record the soundboard to the other 2 channels. 

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #254 on: March 06, 2008, 08:22:33 AM »
Great mod idea just make sure it can leave 2 internals on while imputing 2 external line inputs from board or other mics
That would be the cats pajamas for me :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com