Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR to balance or unbalance...  (Read 2476 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
XLR to balance or unbalance...
« on: January 13, 2005, 09:42:29 AM »
I am building right angle xlr cable to connect my v2 to my mme.  DO these need to be balanced or unbalanced.  There was some talk on here http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=2069.30 about a "loop" between pins 3 and 1, if I remember correctly, and someone said that this would prevent you from sending 48v of phantom power.  Is there some way I could prevent from sending 48 v of power to my v2 through the wiring of the cable?

Discussion:
i took apart my neutrix connector to see what's going on
it is part of an adapter that is dual xlr(m) > 1/8" stereo

it looks like the 2 conductor wires are connected to their respective pins.  Then, what is the thing tying pins 1 and 3 together?  Is this how all xlr connections look?

Thats an unbalanced cable Schwilly. Nothing wrong with that!
The looop is insuring that you don't send p48volt to your unbalanced rig.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 09:54:01 AM by bagtagsell »
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

hexyjones

Re: XLR to balance or unbalance...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 11:10:03 AM »
I am building right angle xlr cable to connect my v2 to my mme.  DO these need to be balanced or unbalanced.  There was some talk on here http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=2069.30 about a "loop" between pins 3 and 1, if I remember correctly, and someone said that this would prevent you from sending 48v of phantom power.  Is there some way I could prevent from sending 48 v of power to my v2 through the wiring of the cable?

Describe the cable you are trying to make...from what to what...( I cant tell from the gear names)

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 11:39:57 AM »
my preamp (grace lunatec v2) needs to connect to my ADC (mini-me apogee).  The minime has a switch to supply 48v power to the mics.  However if I click that switch on it will be sending 48v to my preamp and I am worried it would damage it.  So i was wondering if I could make the wires so I never have to worry about this, just in case I hit the switch.  Also if there is a way is it going to hurt my sound at all?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

hexyjones

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 12:12:30 PM »
Depening on your skills and warranty status...you may want to look into disabling that phantom switch on the mini-me...that would be the safest...looks like you just use the DAC anyway...?

but otherwise - it looks like you would have to use a unbalanced connection to be safe...

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 10:39:36 PM »
my preamp (grace lunatec v2) needs to connect to my ADC (mini-me apogee).  The minime has a switch to supply 48v power to the mics.  However if I click that switch on it will be sending 48v to my preamp and I am worried it would damage it.  So i was wondering if I could make the wires so I never have to worry about this, just in case I hit the switch.  Also if there is a way is it going to hurt my sound at all?

you basically need a balanced cable between your v2 and the mme. v2 is outputting a line level signal which the mme should accept easily. and yes, turn off phantom power on your mm3.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com