Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External HD Recommendations?  (Read 3763 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
External HD Recommendations?
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »
My 1TB lacie USB external drive died today, or rather, would not rouse itself when power was applied.  It won't spin up, just clicks repeatedly as it tries to get going. 

So, since I am forced to buy a new external hard drive mostly for music backup, storage, and playback, what brands would you guys recommend? and just as important, who should I avoid? 

thanks for any recommendations.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: External HD Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 09:47:27 AM »
Every manufacturer has their prize-winning models and their duds.  I own both Western Digital and Maxtor external drives, my internal drives are Hitachis, and I've never had a problem with any of them.  A friend of mine will buy nothing but Seagates.  That said, my most recent externals are these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136321

Nice looking, with nice rubber "boots" to keep them from sliding around.  Only downside is that they have no power switch, but this is fairly common, and it still has 5-egg reviews.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »
i have had 4 WD externals and they all died from 4 days old to 8 months old
i stopped even calling for replacements

i have 2 maxtor and they are great, ones like 7yrs old and ones 2
i also have a adata that has never gave me probs

i think maxtor might be hooked up with seagate because i saw maxtor drives on a seagate website a few weeks back
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:49:25 AM »
Every manufacturer has their prize-winning models and their duds.

This is my experience, as well.  I've found a decent indicator of quality is the warranty offered by the manufacturer.  Stay away from HDDs with only a 1-yr warranty; there's a reason they're dirt cheap.  Consider those with a 3-yr warranty; this is good middle ground for quality/price.  Ideally, opt for one with a 5-yr warranty; best quality, though a bit more expensive -- well worth it, IMO.  You might need to purchase box and HDD separately to get a drive with a 5-yr warranty.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:21:45 PM »
I've also had WD's fail within 7 days of purchase.  I've had good luck with Maxtor.  And I've got a simpletech that has served me well for years. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:17:58 PM by kirkd »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:44:37 PM »
I've found a decent indicator of quality is the warranty offered by the manufacturer.

This bears repeating and is the primary measure I use when choosing a drive, even though I don't actually follow up on the warranty if they fail. A longer warranty typically indicates a longer lasting product.

For portable external drives I use 500GB Maxtor One Touch 4 Minis which are convenient, USB powered and have a longer warranty than other manufacturers (5yrs).  For full sized non-OS storage drives, I used four WD green 1TB drives in a recent storage array build, shoe horned in a small box enclosure and am amazed at how cool they run, which usually bodes well for longevity.  They have a 3yr warranty, but were much more cost effective than any 5yr 1TB drives and are arrayed redundantly in any case. I found those were the best option for that particular application.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 05:40:10 PM »
I've found a decent indicator of quality is the warranty offered by the manufacturer.  Stay away from HDDs with only a 1-yr warranty; there's a reason they're dirt cheap.  Consider those with a 3-yr warranty; this is good middle ground for quality/price.  Ideally, opt for one with a 5-yr warranty; best quality, though a bit more expensive -- well worth it, IMO.  You might need to purchase box and HDD separately to get a drive with a 5-yr warranty.

This is what manufacturers would like everyone to believe, but often isn't the case.  Having a longer warranty doesn't mean that the manufacturer trusts the product more.  It means the manufacturer has figured out that if they use the same cheap parts to build a unit that looks slightly different and include a longer warranty with it, they can sell it for a higher price.  So they're really just taking the "option" out of the optional extended warranty that most people would otherwise decline.

That's not to say that there aren't cases where you get a better product by paying more.  But you can no longer just assume it to be better because of a longer warranty.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 09:54:47 PM »
I'll muddy the water some more - contrary to most of the posts here I've gotten great service from  Western Digitals. I have 3 that I probably am now jinxing by relating how great they've been.

Five year warranty means nothing to me. That's why I bought a Seagate. It died in 5 months. Sure, they replaced it under warranty but not my 380GB of data I lost. I was wary of the replacement after being burned.

In an ideal setup, you should have mirror hard drives if it's truly important stuff you want forever. Buy one, load it up with the goodies and have a second hard drive with the same info for backup. Or is that backup - backup?
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 09:33:10 AM »
I've found a decent indicator of quality... <snip>

This is what manufacturers would like everyone to believe, but often isn't the case. <snip>

Fair point.  I should clarify and add that I don't think the warranty offered should be the sole criterion one uses to make the decision about which HDD to order.  Other factors are just as important:  specs, user reviews, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
I have 3 Lacies that have been around for over 3 years without issues. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 11:01:16 PM »
To further muddy the waters, there are really only a few companies that manufacture HDs, they are then put in other boxes and sold.

IIRC, the major players are WD, Seagate(they bought out Maxtor several years back and now make Maxtor drives) and hitatchi(they bought IBM's drive operation).  Samsung now makes drives as well.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 08:04:36 AM »
I normally buy nothing but seagate or maxtor's.. We had way to many WD's start the good ol' WD 'BARK' at work where they would start making this awful sound and die like a day later... I agree with Skalinder warranty is a good way to compare a drive...

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:47:53 AM »
#1 Buy the cheapest drives you can find.
#2 Buy Three at a time, for one onsite backup and one offsite backup.

All drives fail. If you have two backups at all times, you will not lose your data.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com