Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mastering Advice  (Read 2658 times)

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
Mastering Advice
« on: December 27, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »
I'm hesitant asking this as I don't want to sound like a noob and/or buffoon. So here it goes ...

I'm working on a show that was sent me and I am hearing some weird "phasing-like" issue where it sounds like the wav file is normal and the lowered and then raised again ... so I'm thinking that some sort of limiter or auto leveling was used on the recorder.  I know that this description is VERY VAGUE (I apologize), any ideas as to where to start in fixing this issue? I use Audition and iZotope Rx7.

:tomato:

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Mastering Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 11:29:46 PM »
I'm hesitant asking this as I don't want to sound like a noob and/or buffoon. So here it goes ...

I'm working on a show that was sent me and I am hearing some weird "phasing-like" issue where it sounds like the wav file is normal and the lowered and then raised again ... so I'm thinking that some sort of limiter or auto leveling was used on the recorder.  I know that this description is VERY VAGUE (I apologize), any ideas as to where to start in fixing this issue? I use Audition and iZotope Rx7.

Sounds to me like something recorded with an "auto gain" setting in which the volume is automatically raised and lowered in response to volume changes.

You'd have to do painstaking enveloping. Find and mark every level change, then add or reduce gain to compensate.

Unless you're being paid by the hour, it isn't worth trying to fix.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 06:29:46 AM »

Sounds to me like something recorded with an "auto gain" setting in which the volume is automatically raised and lowered in response to volume changes.

You'd have to do painstaking enveloping. Find and mark every level change, then add or reduce gain to compensate.

Unless you're being paid by the hour, it isn't worth trying to fix.

I was thinking the same thing, my fears confirmed. Lol.

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 08:11:46 AM »
That is a tough situation to solve. Automatic gain adjustments, and especially limiting, not only change the level but also reduce the dynamic range. You may be able to get a bit of dynamics back by using upward expansion.

Here is a great resource guide that may help understand the processes: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/parallel-compression

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 12:30:24 PM »
That is a tough situation to solve. Automatic gain adjustments, and especially limiting, not only change the level but also reduce the dynamic range. You may be able to get a bit of dynamics back by using upward expansion.

Here is a great resource guide that may help understand the processes: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/parallel-compression

Thank you for the link ... I'm trying some of the recommendations. Fingers crossed!

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »

Thank you again for this. I was able to (somewhat) successfully fix some of the issues using the guidelines and techniques in the link you sent. Very eye opening (or should I say "ears") to learn a new trick or two!

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 10:01:24 AM »
Great! Glad it helped.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com