Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dr680MKII - any more opinions out there? Compare to Roland R88 or Tascam Hs-p82?  (Read 4998 times)

Offline AB52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
How is this new unit holding up?   I was debating between it and the larger, heavier HS-P82, but I figure there is no way I will know how good these preamps are, until I try them.  The preamps are perhaps the most important feature to me.  The rest I can deal with in my computer.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Most direct competition is among the r88, hsp82 and new zoom f8 in terms of features.  I would wait for reviews of the f8 once it ships before parting with a penny.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Depends on your time frame since the Zoom isn't shipping yet. Reading some of the various threads here it has been said that the 680 MKII received a preamp upgrade bringing it closer to the 70D while the HS already has quality preamps but is an older deck (i.e. older technology) The real money is in the analogue section (preamps) so the HS may be a good choice for you if that's your main concern. If you want the latest & greatest which in my opinion hopefully means an upgraded AD section with a good possibility for upgraded preamps then the Zoom is worth the wait.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
The hs is a completely different level as compared to the dr-680mkii

Here are some of the upgrades on the hs-p82
- input routing controllable at channel level (I.e digital in, mic, line)
- 8 channels AES IN w/ optional Real Time Sample Rate conversation
- 8 channels AES out
- better pre's
- large full color touch screen display
- 3 different powering options with auto cutover
- flash card mirroring or spanning
- optional control surface
- optional keyboard input
- 24b 192k recording upto 4 channels or 24b 96k upto 8 channels
-time code
-word clock io (allows you to sync w/o tying up a channel pair)

The hs-p82 is heavy and like the 788 power hungary
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:45:24 AM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
- 24b 192k recording upto 4 channels or 24b 96k upto 8 channels
-word clock io (allows you to sync w/o tying up a channel pair)

Some clarification on these two points:
DR680 can also record 8 channels at 24b/96kHz, if including digital-input recorded to the stereo channel. (It can only do one stereo pair at 24b/192kHz however)
DR-680 has no word clock I/O, but can clock sync to a AES/SPDIF I/O without tying up the 6 analog input channels or the stereo channel when the stereo channel it is being used for an internal mix.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
Has anyone compared the pres on the Dr680MKII versus the HS?  How do we know the HS is better?  the DR680MKII went through a pre upgrade?

. . .

-
- better pre's
-

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Has anyone compared the pres on the Dr680MKII versus the HS?  How do we know the HS is better?  the DR680MKII went through a pre upgrade?

. . .

-
- better pre's
-

There is a thread detailing the differences between the 680 & MKII, Tascam also claims to use different op amps between the two which effect preamp performance.

EDIT- Here it is....
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=171565.0
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:42:13 AM by carlbeck »
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

tomuo

The HS-P82 is in a different class altogether -  more discrete components, for low distortion (but higher power drain).   Balanced signal throughout (mic-pre and outputs) all the way to the converter (uses up two channels on the gain chip, at least 6dB better S/N because of that).   And the converter chip is at least 2 ranks above the DR-680's.

HS-P82 - TI PCM4220       2 channel / differential
DR-680 & mkII - AK4612   6 channel / single ended.

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
distortion spec from dr680mkII - is this real?  I will soon find out - I am getting both units (Dr and HS)  and will see if I can tell the difference - or any of you!

Distortion   0.007% (1kHz, LINE IN to LINE OUT)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com