Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tips and tricks for getting that complete show  (Read 3987 times)

Offline carbine000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Tips and tricks for getting that complete show
« on: July 27, 2010, 03:09:02 AM »
I'm really excited to be shooting video for the first time in a couple of weeks. But I am having some difficulty imaging how this is going to play out. I looked around and couldn't really find anything specific to what I am trying to figure out so I thought I would start a new thread.

So I am planning on shooting video with my new Panasonic DMC-ZS3 at an upcoming fest. The venue will be outdoors and the fest is electronic music oriented. Although this venue has never been used for a fest before I can make a few assumptions. And that is it will be a wide open, flat, probably grassy area surrounding a stage. I expect alot of people to be dancing and I will not be able to bring in any kind of tripod or monopod.

I am shorter than the average person (5'7") and there won't be any elevated lines of sight, seats, or other areas to get a good view. So I am guessing that I will have to hold the camera up in the air for the entire set that I want to record (60-90 continuous minutes). The thought of holding the camera above my head for the whole show while keeping it stable enough to maintain focus seems like it will be pretty difficult. I am wondering if any of you have any tips/tricks/advice for me to possibly come up with an easier solution to my dilemma.

I've thought of two possibilities:
1. Get closer to the stage where I won't have to hold the camera as high to get a good shot.
Pros: Not having to hold the camera as high.
Cons: Possible distortion from being too close to the speaker stacks and security, being bumped and pushed from the crowd.

2. Standing farther back:
Pros: Being able to stand my ground, anonymity in the crowd, better sound, mobility should I need to adjust my position.
Cons: Having to hold the camera above my head for the whole show. :(

Please share any ideas, experiences, or thoughts regarding taping in these kinds of settings.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:10:40 AM by carbine000 »

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Tips and tricks for getting that complete show
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:25:20 AM »
I don't think you can plan everything out beforehand, a lot of the time it's just spur of the moment choices. I was filming at an outdoor festival at the weekend and spent about 30mins looking for a good spot to film from. I found a sloped grass banking towards the rear of the 'field/park' which I preferred to filming from closer to the stage (which I didn't want to do as there were various inflatable objects/plastic bottles/glasses being thrown around). That said, I thought I had a good elevated spot but as soon as the main band came onstage, people in front started to stand up which obstructed my view so I needed to relocate quickly, whilst still filming. I wouldn't worry too much about the audio quality, it's never really great at outdoor events, especially with other factors like the weather conditions (it's prob worth using the 'wind cut' filter on the ZS3), but the ZS3 does cope quite well, although I always prefer to run a separate rig with some cards. As for holding the camera above your head for that length of time...seriously, your arms will start to ache and it will be difficult to hold steady/focus/zoom etc. Get there early and suss the location, then pick a spot where you feel comfortable, at least if you start filming and you're not happy, you can move somewhere else, unlike if you were in an indoor seated arena.

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
I recommend a VERY small tripod that you can use as a handle. I have two different ones that I always bring in with me. The smallest Gorrilapod and an even smaller one that is maybe 5" long. I shoot with the ZS3 and they work great at helping stabilize and give you a different way to hold it if you get tired.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »
I recommend a VERY small tripod that you can use as a handle. I have two different ones that I always bring in with me. The smallest Gorrilapod and an even smaller one that is maybe 5" long. I shoot with the ZS3 and they work great at helping stabilize and give you a different way to hold it if you get tired.

Sounds interesting, have you any pics of that?

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:25:31 AM »
Ta for the pics/links, I think I'd need bigger pockets

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »
At minimum, I'd buy a monopod that either telescopes or breaks down into pieces.  Even better if it has a ball head on it. 

Frankly, the best 'trick' I can suggest for getting the complete show in the best quality is to suck it up and take a tripod in.  I don't say this lightly because I know it takes balls and sometimes doing this type of thing isn't for the faint of heart.  OTOH, from personal experience, most festival bouncers are simply looking to keep beer/booze out of the festival grounds and not much else.  Venues are different, but festies are usually so much less strict. 

I'd say that 95% of the time or more, you're not gonna be called out if you have your camera set on a tripod, especially if it's nighttime and you don't keep your video screen shining brightly.  My thinking is that, if I can get a good steady video 90% of the time or more, but maybe 1 outta ten times I get asked not to film, then I'm WAY ahead of the game and much better off losing that 1 outta 10 show than having 10 outta 10 shaky handheld shows.  That's just my way of thinking...but I've been recording for years, so I'm pretty bold when I walk through the gates. 

Having an attitude like you're on a mission and that you're entitled, while it might not get you anywhere in the end, usually gets you where you need to go. 

I'll give you an example...I don't do much video taping anymore, but several years ago I video'ed a ton.  For two consecutive All Good festivals, I video taped almost the whole festival from my home camera set on a tripod that was standing right next to the SBD...10 feet to the right of it in plain view.  Since I was there day and night, I kinda think by the time it was over that most everyone thought I was filming in some kind of official capacity!  LOL.

Use Jedi mind tricks and don't be timid or shy about carrying your stuff in with you.  After setting up, if you do ever get called out, just claim ignorance and comply.  Take the camera down right away and be compliant and non-argumentative and even apologetic.  If you try and argue, you're setting yourself up for bad things to happen.  NEVER and I mean NEVER allow anyone else to put their hands on your gear.  Just walk away without saying a word if you have to, but don't let them touch your gear...chances are good that you won't get it back if you do.  At the very worst, give up a tape, but not your camera. 

BTW, in 20 years of recording audio and video, I've only had 2 times where I had to walk out and only once where I felt where my gear might be in jeopardy...and both of those times were a long time ago so there's likely nothing to worry about.  I'm just saying IN CASE you ever encounter these situations.

EDIT:  I just re-read what I wrote and need to clarify.  Be bold, but don't be stupid.  I'm not suggesting that you should walk right in with all of your gear in plain view.  If you can stash it, then do it (hint...camp chair bags are great for stashing a tripod).  My point is that when you go through the gates, do it with a purpose and don't be shy about being a little aggressive with the people about telling them you have absolutely no beer on you and they're free to search you head to toe if they want.  Usually they just wave me through.  Another hint is that, IF they stop you and keep your from bringing your stuff in, you can usually set it on the ground nearby (say near a fence that has a gap at the bottom) and wait around until they're distracted.  (Lotsa winks in the above paragraph.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:23:59 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline ScUmFoX

• Taperssection Newbie
  • tapetrader.com/ScUmFoX
    • The List
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 07:35:37 PM »
What about like in a venue. Any tips for this. I have a fairly small camera, but large enough for it to be not allowed in. I can't try the shirt trick, because it gets in the way of the lens and even the peep hole in the back is covered up as well. Also, shooting handheld if that helps.  I'd also want the features to still be easily accessible. So, please give me some tips if you have them
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 07:38:13 PM by ScUmFoX »
Sometimes you have to burn everything down so you can have nothing at all!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com