Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 16 kHz LPF in mastering?  (Read 2413 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
16 kHz LPF in mastering?
« on: July 22, 2016, 09:27:36 PM »
The choir I sing with currently pays a "professional" company to record our concerts.*  The board members who deal with this company sent me the mp3 rough test files and also the final revisions for my feedback.  Something that caught my eye was a steep 16 kHz lowpass filter on all of the tracks.  I've never seen this before, and I'm wondering why it's there.  See the screenshot below which shows it's not a shelf or bell, as I would expect for mastering EQ.  This is also on past concerts, so clearly it's intentional.  The only mentions of this I could find online was that it could sometimes be used for vinyl masters to avoid treble distortion when the master tape was really hot in level.  That doesn't apply here.  Any ideas?

*While they command a professional fee, their technique and results don't measure up at all.  I may be soon taking over as the audio archivist for the group, as the leadership is starting to see the light after I pointed out all of the problems with the last few recordings they've done for us.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 16 kHz LPF in mastering?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:57:11 PM »
If they only sent mp3s, that's why.

Yes they only sent mp3s, 320k CBR.  I that it could be the encoding cutoff if that's what you're suggesting, but none of the files I have from other sources (commercial or otherwise) cut off at that point - they're all around 18 kHz and much more gentle.

Maybe it's just the particular encoder these guys use.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com