Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are the advantages of Rock Box?  (Read 8845 times)

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: What are the advantages of Rock Box?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 02:06:18 AM »
One of the biggest advantages of rockbox is the "safety-clip"-feature which LOWERS levels to prevent from clipping.
So you never need to check your levels :).
Set l+r gain to ie. +15dB and activate safety-clip, start recording, slide the Hold-button to ON and enjoy the show.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 04:31:01 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline rdflash

• Needs to get out more...
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 03:03:16 AM »
Original Firmware iRiver = Ford Pinto
Rockboxed iRiver = Ferrari Testarossa

AWESOME POST

+T
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline GrandMasterMark

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Hold still my sexy little mule!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 10:56:35 PM »

How did they find that out?  Did someone buy one and get it already?  Or did someone call iriver?  This bums me out because I was thinking of buying one. :(

I bought one and ran a disk scan on it. I found a whole collection of deleted mp3's.  I argued over missing accessories (no charger), and they wound up sending me another iriver (with charger this time). That one too had deleted mp3's on it.

Looks like you are right. I just ran Restoration mine and found a boatload (or is it BUTTload?) of lame ass hip hop and psuedo rap
sh!t. I don't mind if it is a refurb unit. That just means that it has been "tested" before it went back out. it does make one wonder which part failed.

Installed RockBox last night and everything is working great. This seems to be a really nice little rig. I can't wait until 32 gig cf cards come down in price. That will make a really nice upgrade!
LIVE MP3s?!? Disclaimer: If you're anything like me, you'll utterly hate how this shit sounds, which is no offense to (names removed), who have been to too many shows with their digital toys to NOT make me feel guilty about not playing better. But like I keep telling them, live music is for listening to live where bodies, surfaces and beer absorb the blemishes, and recorded music, well, that's why you fucking go to a studio to make your records, right? Nevertheless, in the interest of full disclosure, and because some people dig this shit, here's a few nuggets of live joy, some old shit, some new, some borrowed and no goddamn blues, because I'm white and have more respect for BLAH BLah blah

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 05:01:49 AM »
WAVPACK recordings with rockbox are a huge gain too when it comes to battery-life. my H120 recorded 12h45min on internal mics last night until the battery was down.
WAV makes about 8-10 hours with external mics and bbox.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 11:00:29 AM »

AWESOME POST

+T

+T Backatcha.

Concerning the 'new' iRivers on the market:  I'm not sure that anyone who has been messing around with these devices for the last couple of years ever bought into this claim.  Remember - if it appears too good to be true, it usually is.  Kind of turns you off with the misrepresentation though.  That said, I wouldn't fear purchasing a refurbished unit.  I've had pretty good luck with them.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 12:50:32 AM »

AWESOME POST

+T

+T Backatcha.

Concerning the 'new' iRivers on the market:  I'm not sure that anyone who has been messing around with these devices for the last couple of years ever bought into this claim.  Remember - if it appears too good to be true, it usually is.  Kind of turns you off with the misrepresentation though.  That said, I wouldn't fear purchasing a refurbished unit.  I've had pretty good luck with them.

Yeah, agreed. I got one that's a tank. Bombproof, failsafe, runs for freakin' E-V-E-R. LOL.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.151 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com