Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Free McIntosh AP1 Audio Player -->  (Read 10569 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Free McIntosh AP1 Audio Player -->
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:08:16 AM »
-->  App for the iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad. 

http://itunes.apple.com/app/mcintosh-ap1-audio-player/id411263894?mt=8#

It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Free McIntosh AP1 Audio Player -->
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Sweet ! ! !  :headphones:
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:39:43 AM »
Is flac playback supported?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »

No, but iTunes supports uncompressed files, or ALAC, Apple's lossless audio answer to FLAC.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:24:56 PM »

No, but iTunes supports railroads users into adopting only it's own format for uncompressed files, or ALAC, Apple's proprietary closed-source lossless audio alternative answer to FLAC.

FTFY.  If you can tell I'm no fan of Apple on this front.

Hey Mc Intosh, you're name is respected in the audio playback gear market, if you are serious about offering a high-quality player how about supporting the primary accepted lossless high rez digital file format? Or are you simply spending some of your brand's high-end goodwill capital only to market your name to the Ipod crowd?  Oh yeah, I forgot, Apple calls all the shots here as it's an Apple app.  Great monopoly. 

This is simply an advertizing avenue for McIntosh, effectively no different than any other Apple music playback app save for the pretty skin.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot, Apple calls all the shots here as it's an Apple app.  Great monopoly. 

This is simply an advertizing avenue for McIntosh, effectively no different than any other Apple music playback app save for the pretty skin.

If McIntosh wanted to make an app that does FLAC playback, it'd be in the App Store.  Apple doesn't decide what formats will play through 3rd party software

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »
I was not aware of that.  AFAIK, Apple locks down certain device capabilities and I assumed FLAC (and 24 bit capability) was in that category.

If that is indeed the case, then common McIntosh, what's the excuse?  Seems like offering FLAC playaback would be something to be expected from a quality manufacturer and could be one of the few real differentiators for your player other than a pretty GUI.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
VLC was in the app store last time I checked and it should support flac

It does play FLAC but you have to change the extension of your files to .avi or someother supported video format.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:04:29 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »
I was not aware of that.  AFAIK, Apple locks down certain device capabilities and I assumed FLAC (and 24 bit capability) was in that category.

If that is indeed the case, then common McIntosh, what's the excuse?  Seems like offering FLAC playaback would be something to be expected from a quality manufacturer and could be one of the few real differentiators for your player other than a pretty GUI.

effort.  with very little effort, then can code up an app that plays file formats the Core Audio sdk knows about.  that includes all the iTunes formats.

adding Flac support, while not hard to do at all, requires a little more effort. 

Offline scb

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 02:01:23 PM »
VLC was in the app store last time I checked and it should support flac

not anymore.  one of the videolan developers asked apple to pull it because he didn't like having GPL stuff in the store

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 02:16:44 PM »

A little back story...

"McIntosh the Music Machine

When Apple decided to brand its new computer a Macintosh, they had to come to a trademark agreement with a small audio laboratory in Binghamton, New York. McIntosh tube amplifiers and other stereo gear had long been known as among the best in audio, as coveted for their looks as much as for their sound quality. Finding a vintage McIntosh amp is as much of a fetish for some people as finding a vintage Mackintosh coat is for others.

McIntosh Labs is still in business making high-end audio gear, and undoubtedly, like Apple Records, has had a few issues in recent times regarding Apple Computer's foray into audio. When both the McIntosh Labs and Apple Records trademark agreements were reached, no one imagined that someday Apple Computer would be a leading supplier of audio products."

Original Article found here --->  http://www.creativepro.com/article/macintosh-any-other-name-still-sweet
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 05:11:17 PM »
Seems McIntosh is all about pretty things with limited function. Guess we should be greatful that the app is so cheap. This thing is $2000. It also doesn't support flac playback  :P

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20028304-1.html
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 04:13:47 AM »
is that a clock!!!!????
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 04:21:10 PM »
I wouldn't call a $2000 time piece a clock! But yeah it's just a clock.... a $2000 McIntosh clock.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »
I have 2.   One is attached to a necklace i wear around my neck, flav-o-flav can suck it, boyeee!
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 05:20:21 PM »
I was waiting for the flav-o-flav angle on that one!
Point goes to Jim for the score just within the 24hr time limit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com