Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 185Wh Battery w/ charger for only $135  (Read 17162 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
185Wh Battery w/ charger for only $135
« on: March 25, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YP823NA

Pretty good deal IMO - This is over 3x as many Wh as the Naztech PB15000 (which is a 55.5Wh battery)- i.e. will last 3x longer!

It has 20V, 12V and 5V outputs.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Re: 185Wh Battery w/ charger for only $135
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 11:10:43 AM »
Looks like a good deal.  The big plus of the Naztech is the adjustable voltage, and this one has only 3 fixed levels.  But that seems like a decent trade-off for the much higher capacity. 

What would be really nice to see in a future product like this would be to make the 20V and 12V outputs each adjustable over a range, while leaving the USB outputs fixed at 5V at the two different standard current outputs.  I'm thinking of powering two different pro recorders or a recorder and preamp, each at 12V or 16V from the same battery, eliminating the need for a distribution box.  I'm sure that total output current would be the limiting factor, so this may be a fantasy device I'm thinking of.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 07:32:01 AM »
Any feedback on these? My old BatteryGeek 10-14-115 bit the dust and I'm afraid the other is not far behind.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 09:19:10 AM »

Pretty good deal IMO - This is over 3x as many Wh as the Naztech PB15000 (which is a 55.5Wh battery)- i.e. will last 3x longer!

I bought one about six months ago. I've run 2-5volt decks and a fairly thirsty preamp simultaneously and over the course of a standard show it doesn't even drop the capacity meter one light. It doesn't seem like cheap junk like alot of the batteries out there. It is a bit heavy but still lighter than a SLA. I shut it down early during an initial test because I was confident it would last 24 plus hours straight. Check your current draw first on your devices though. I forget the specs but it is limited.

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 09:24:26 AM »
Oh and I forgot to add that it is way too large of capacity to be allowed on an airplane.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 01:58:27 AM »

I bought one about six months ago. I've run 2-5volt decks and a fairly thirsty preamp simultaneously and over the course of nuna standard show it doesn't even drop the capacity meter one light. It doesn't seem like cheap junk like alot of the batteries out there. It is a bit heavy but still lighter than a SLA. I shut it down early during an initial test because I was confident it would last 24 plus hours straight. Check your current draw first on your devices though. I forget the specs but it is limited.
20v 3amp an 12v 2.5amp....appears  to be plenty watts for the draw on my equipment...even enough for my pie in the sky recorder HS-P82 at 18 watts  >:D if ever I get one

Thanks!

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 08:30:53 PM »

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
Purchased a K2 to take to Lockn. My second Battery Geek 10-14-115 is still going strong....but a drop from the coffee table has effected the meter an it no longer lights up...For now the Battery Geek will power the DR680...if the Battery Geek dies the light on the display goes out to indicate internal battery power.

The K2 will do Festival duty and power my Portico 5012 (and its 12 watt draw) for indoor shows...it's a hoss...not small or light.

Observations:
Power switch. Just a bump turns it and the meters on (very bright meters). I was concerned about this turning off as easy but you must hold for 10 seconds to shut down. If there is no power draw for 30minutes the battery shuts itself down . I've killed a Tekkeon by forgetting to turn it off and leaving it in a zipped up bag till I got back to it a day or two later  :( so I approve of this feature.

Power Outlet. This uses Size M, 5.50mm OD × 2.10mm ID connectors for both the 12v and 20v outlet. I've gaff taped over the 20v outlet so as not to fry my DR680. The cool thing it that it is the same size as my old Battery Geek so all my cables are compatible. Nice to not have to purchase all my power cables again.

Case. Very nice not cheap looking, holes are a snug fit in power outlet to cables.

Is there a Power Distribution Box that takes 20v and provides Multiple outputs at 12v-9v?

I know H₂O at one time built them, but, no more.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 10:01:34 AM »

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 12:19:24 PM »
Found this one...but only two variable voltage outputs...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1041774-REG/atlas_sound_tsd_dcpdv_variable_dc_power.html

Specs look ok but:
 - it looks like the variable out is for both outputs (in other words the setting affects both outs - both will always be the same voltage)
 - it requires 24v input to operate
 - all connections are screw down terminals which would not be very reliable in the field.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 01:38:01 AM »
Thanks H2O

Also...upon shut off of DR680...the K2 shuts down...ran 4hrs and still have all 4 lights on meter
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:41:10 AM by Hypnocracy »

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 02:34:12 PM »
Ran the K2>Tascam DR680 for four days at Lockn'...input was from Aerco MP-2 two channels line in (no phantom power or mic preamp ran on 680). At some point on Sunday afternoon the meter went down to one light. There was a one hour break before Phish...so as not to tempt fate I swapped it out for my old BG 10-14-115 but suspect I would have been fine.

Observations...I managed to kill a fresh set of AA's in the DR680 sometime between checking/packing Wednesday and setup on Thursday.  :banging head:
It prevented the DR680 from starting up with the K2 hooked up...a couple of minutes of panic until I realized the issued & dumped the AA's...not optimal with this unit but at least I was up and running. That night when I shutdown I swear the unit shut down as soon as I stopped recording. DR680 meters are back lit when on external power and I had not hit the power switch and the meters went dark...

$10 of AA's at the festival general store and this didn't happen any more...also I have not been able to reproduce this behavior at the house.

After DR680 shutdown the meters on the K2 go dark immediately, if you hit the power button again on the DR680 it powers right up to external power and the K2 Meters light up also. But, after shutdown I think the K2 stays on more like 30 Seconds instead of 30 minutes. More than 30 Seconds you must hit the power button on and restart the K2.

Hitting the power button while there is a draw on the K2 does nothing...that is comforting.

The K2 Really does require 4hrs or more to charge...

Overall I'm very happy with how it provided Festival Power. It is a Heavy Beast though...Would love to find a compact way to step down 20v 3amp to multiple 2 -12v and 7.2v (Grace V2) outputs. That way I could get a F8 and run the Aerco and Grace Pre's off one large battery.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:37:18 PM by Hypnocracy »

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »
I used a Maxoak K2 at Rooster Walk for 3 days, taping 6-8 hours a day, running two recorders (DR-60D, DR-40) and phantom power on two mics all weekend and on a second pair for one set. Also charged my phone a couple of times. It was on one light sometime late Sunday.

Thing is built like a tank.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 09:25:05 PM »
Only run mine once so far but it’s awesome. Get one if you can.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com