Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Battery Being Developed  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
New Battery Being Developed
« on: August 20, 2016, 08:15:46 AM »
Nothing practical for the moment, but definitely a technology to watch:

http://news.mit.edu/2016/lithium-metal-batteries-double-power-consumer-electronics-0817

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New Battery Being Developed
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
I've been retired for 12 years and our guys were using them before that.  20% higher power, poorer performance at lower temperatures but less susceptible to overheating.  The manufacturer was moving production and further development to the US in 2006, so the talk of cell phone use means the development is mainly miniaturisation; the ones we had were the size of house bricks, as they had to (a) fit existing radios, and (b) last.   

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »
I've been retired for 12 years and our guys were using them before that.  20% higher power, poorer performance at lower temperatures but less susceptible to overheating.  The manufacturer was moving production and further development to the US in 2006, so the talk of cell phone use means the development is mainly miniaturisation; the ones we had were the size of house bricks, as they had to (a) fit existing radios, and (b) last.   

What application?  Military?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »
Yes.  The US has a very different philosophy to batteries, and power in general.  About 10 years ago we moved toward Ammonia Borane fuel cells, but I don't know how widespread its use is yet.  Lithium-Ion is disliked.  When I'm asked why, I always refer to "Black Hawk Down" which has a scene where the troops are taking cover in a building, and in the background an unexplained (in the film) firework display is going off on another soldier.  That's what happens when a Lithium-Ion battery is hit by a projectile or suffers water ingress.  The burns are disfiguring and often fatal.  For two years in the mid-00s we had to rely on the US as our Lithium-Ion rechargeables were subject to a total recall and destruction order due to poor quality manufacturing (some would say fraud).  They crimped the cans instead of welding them, water got in and they exploded.  Sorry, hobby horse of mine.   

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »
Yes.  The US has a very different philosophy to batteries, and power in general.  About 10 years ago we moved toward Ammonia Borane fuel cells, but I don't know how widespread its use is yet.  Lithium-Ion is disliked.  When I'm asked why, I always refer to "Black Hawk Down" which has a scene where the troops are taking cover in a building, and in the background an unexplained (in the film) firework display is going off on another soldier.  That's what happens when a Lithium-Ion battery is hit by a projectile or suffers water ingress.  The burns are disfiguring and often fatal.  For two years in the mid-00s we had to rely on the US as our Lithium-Ion rechargeables were subject to a total recall and destruction order due to poor quality manufacturing (some would say fraud).  They crimped the cans instead of welding them, water got in and they exploded.  Sorry, hobby horse of mine.   

Wow.  Of all the difficult things our service members have to endure, I never thought of exploding batteries.  Especially with the water ingress causing such a reaction, it sounds like carrying around a block of pure sodium in your radio.

When you say "the US has a very different philosophy..." and  "we had to rely on the US...", I gather you were not serving here in the US.  GB?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com