Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MBHO Active Cables  (Read 14332 times)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
MBHO Active Cables
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:53:19 AM »
Hi!

I want to make some custom active cables for my MBHO MBP 603 As. I have the original 3 meter active cables which are a bit too long for my needs (especially when stealthing). Since the German MBHO vendor never got back to me with an offer for shorter cables, I guess I'll have to make them myself.

I already know where to get the 4-pin Mini-XLR plugs from, but I just don't know what kind of cable to use for this project. So, does anyone here know what kind of cable the original MBHO's are made of? I'd also go with a compatible cable, but it has to be at least as lo-pro as the original.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

Offline chucky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Hookd on cronics
Re: MBHO Active Cables
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 04:24:25 AM »
My only suggestion would be to go with abit beefier cable.
The stock cable seems downright fragile IMO.

I'm sure Todd R. would whip some up for you at any length you wish.
That's one of the beautys of the 603a's that you could have multiple length cables quite cheap.

Edit: Didn't notice you were thinking of making them yourself.
       I'd dream of some of the stock cables for stealthing, and beefier ones for open.
       What about just cutting the stock cables you have down to your desired length?
       I would cut them in half and make 2 pairs sell the other pair, and get some longer cables for open taping. :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 04:29:21 AM by chucky »

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 06:01:35 AM »
What about just cutting the stock cables you have down to your desired length?
I would cut them in half and make 2 pairs sell the other pair, and get some longer cables for open taping. :)

I want to keep the stock cables for open taping as I found them to be almost exactly the right length for those situations ;)

RebelRebel

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 07:35:54 AM »
Why dont you call Obrigheim and ask them???They are forthcoming with info, normally.

Hi!

I want to make some custom active cables for my MBHO MBP 603 As. I have the original 3 meter active cables which are a bit too long for my needs (especially when stealthing). Since the German MBHO vendor never got back to me with an offer for shorter cables, I guess I'll have to make them myself.

I already know where to get the 4-pin Mini-XLR plugs from, but I just don't know what kind of cable to use for this project. So, does anyone here know what kind of cable the original MBHO's are made of? I'd also go with a compatible cable, but it has to be at least as lo-pro as the original.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 07:45:10 AM »
Why dont you call Obrigheim and ask them???They are forthcoming with info, normally.

I guess that solution was too simple for me to come up with ;) Actually I haven't even thought about that. Probably because they want EUR 88.00 for the stock cable...
Anyway, I'll call them tomorrow.

btw: You don't happen to be at the Sigur Rós show in Mannheim tonight, do you?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 07:55:47 AM by Sebastian »

Offline tmfraley2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • FOB is where I want to be....
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 07:49:29 AM »
Hi!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian
mbho customer service SUCKS!!!!  That is one reason i do not own them anymore, definitely make some stronger cables, i ad to have mine replaced 2x over 2 years, good luck with the cables!
"Even jesus couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn" - Nick Gregory 6/28/05

KM140>V2>722

Offline John P

• Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 08:43:32 AM »
I have made a couple of sets.   A star quad cable is what you want, you just don't twist the pairs as you would in a 3 pin xlr.  My recommendation is Belden 1804a or the AT mini starquad.

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 08:45:01 AM »
Nope, wont be at Sigur Ros. Dont really like that band.

I guess that solution was too simple for me to come up with ;) Actually I haven't even thought about that. Probably because they want EUR 88.00 for the stock cable...
Anyway, I'll call them tomorrow.

btw: You don't happen to be at the Sigur Rós show in Mannheim tonight, do you?

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 10:05:39 AM »
Do call Herbert Haun in Obrigheim! I got a pretty good deal on a set of 20m mini-xlr's. On the same occasion, I sent my 603A/KA200's in for the once-over which, by the way, he did for free (life-time warranty).Turn-around time was about a week, and Haun seemed nice enough as well (although he didn't really say much).

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 10:32:18 AM »
The schoeps active cable is very tough stuff.. Probably tougher than mini-quad and maybe even regular quad.  About .154" diameter as I recall.  3 wires with heavy shielding.  Jerry at Posthorn can sell you some. I would choose it over mini star-quad (which I think is .185).  Just copper, no silver. Probably not teflon jacketed.

The 1804a is .125" in diameter but is more wimpy in every way.. Small wires, light shield coverage, thin jacket and somewhat prone to kinking (though not if covered in 1/8" techflex).  I'm not sure if that reduced shield would be a problem around gsm cellphones, etc but I do use it in my rig almost every show. Silver plated, not teflon jacketed.

I think the nbox uses mogami but I'm not sure what part # and am curious...

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 03:10:12 PM »
Do call Herbert Haun in Obrigheim! I got a pretty good deal on a set of 20m mini-xlr's. On the same occasion, I sent my 603A/KA200's in for the once-over which, by the way, he did for free (life-time warranty).Turn-around time was about a week, and Haun seemed nice enough as well (although he didn't really say much).

I also had good luck dealing with Mr. Haun. Whaay better than going through the importer dOod in NYC.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

cshepherd

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 03:15:51 PM »
I remember reading somewhere on this board (from one of Teddy's posts maybe) that the Schoeps active cable is reinforced with kevlar strands. 

Chris

RebelRebel

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 03:24:08 PM »
I remember reading somewhere on this board (from one of Teddy's posts maybe) that the Schoeps active cable is reinforced with kevlar strands. 

Chris

here is a lot of nonsense about cables. Cables have no mystic secrets
- it is pure physics.
As even for hard core purists the audio frequency range ends somewhere
below 50kHz (I would be glad if I could hear 20kHz ..), we are far away
from real high frequency where special characteristics like skin effect
etc. have an influence. So we can simply watch resistance, voltage and
current.

Silver may be a better conductor than copper but it is very affected by
corrosion. Also a pure silver wire will break when you bend it. On the
other side the difference will result in some milli-ohm. The
microphones have output impedances of some ten ohm. So you may choose copper or
silver or gold - you will get no audible difference. Other electrical
and mechanical properties are much more important.

We use a very special copper alloy reinforced with Kevlar fabers. It is
made for SCHOEPS only and offers mechanical advantages (elasticity at
cold temperatures, high tensile strength and no twisting when you hang
your microphone and the room gets warm)
Best wishes

Bernhard Vollmer
SCHOEPS GmbH

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 11:36:58 AM »
just don't twist the pairs as you would in a 3 pin xlr

Why not? I don't see how that could cause any harm...

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 12:55:54 PM »

if i am following this thread right (and PLEASE correct me if i am not) the reason is that the mhbo actives use a 4 pin mini xlr.  thus you need each of the four leads to have its own pin.  the 3 pin xlr twist 2 together and use the shield as the 3 pin.

i know nothing....
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 02:06:45 PM »

if i am following this thread right (and PLEASE correct me if i am not) the reason is that the mhbo actives use a 4 pin mini xlr.  thus you need each of the four leads to have its own pin.  the 3 pin xlr twist 2 together and use the shield as the 3 pin.

i know nothing....

No you know something.  You are 100% correct, there are 4 pins.
mics & cameras

Offline jeromejello

• surly tapir
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 02:26:59 PM »
damnit... i was hoping i was wrong  :P

i had my at853's shortened (and terminated with 3 pin mini's) and was using that as some incentive (as well as my mp-2) to lean towards mhbo 603a's for adding mics to the quiver... the thinking was i would have this crazy amount of 'active' cable for them... oh well...

still can think about the ho's i guess, just no hurry now...  :-\

bt & dime

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 02:33:46 PM »

That is correct. MBHO uses four distinct leads. But why can't I have two leads twisted? Most 4-lead cables I've seen are produced like that...
In my understanding it *should* work with two leads twisted, but connected to different pins of the mini XLR plug.

Offline jeromejello

• surly tapir
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 03:55:12 PM »

That is correct. MBHO uses four distinct leads. But why can't I have two leads twisted? Most 4-lead cables I've seen are produced like that...
In my understanding it *should* work with two leads twisted, but connected to different pins of the mini XLR plug.

b/c four leads twisted into pair leave only 2 leads.  which would be 2 short in the four pin.  unless you were using cable that had 8 leads inside, i dont see how twisting into pairs would be possible....

bt & dime

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 05:04:56 PM »
b/c four leads twisted into pair leave only 2 leads.

False. I never said I want to short them together. ;)

unless you were using cable that had 8 leads inside, i dont see how twisting into pairs would be possible....

Most cables come in twisted pairs as you can see in the following picture:

There are two twisted pairs, each pair consisting of a read and a white wire. The pairs are twisted, yet not shorted together.

Offline jeromejello

• surly tapir
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 06:12:19 PM »
well then i will bite... what are you planing on doing?  i have no clue at all what it could be.

bt & dime

Offline sam

• Getting out as much as I can
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 03:17:55 PM »
I now longer steath and was looking for a little beefier cable for my 603A s. I contacted Procables N Sound and they built just what I requested. They are wonderful. If you are still looking and don't have the time to build your own you might want to check them out. The last set of cables I built was in a hotel In Porrtland, ME before a dead show, since then I have let others do the work for me.
AKG480/61/63->Audio Magic X-Stream->Marantz ACM671

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 05:35:10 PM »

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 11:01:15 PM »

I had Matt aka Hi Ho make me a custom pair from mil-spec silver coated copper cables. I LOVE THEM. They are also techflexed together
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »
Are the stock MBHO cables balanced?  Also, it seems to me that if they do use mulitple twisted-pairs of cable they shouldn't need all 4 to be twisted-pairs since a standard 3-pin microphone cable only has 2 sets of twisted-pair cables.

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »
Are the stock MBHO cables balanced?  Also, it seems to me that if they do use mulitple twisted-pairs of cable they shouldn't need all 4 to be twisted-pairs since a standard 3-pin microphone cable only has 2 sets of twisted-pair cables.

the mbho's are a 4 pin mini and the body of the mini xlr has to be grounded as well so you need all 5 wires(4 leads  and ground)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 04:32:38 PM »

the mbho's are a 4 pin mini and the body of the mini xlr has to be grounded as well so you need all 5 wires(4 leads  and ground)

OK, thanks.  Didn't realize the bodies needed to be grounded, too.  I actually have a pair of your actives for my mbhos and there is a theater that I record at every once in a while and the place I really want to mount the capsules is too far away to use the capsules remotely because the cable isn't long enough.  I was thinking of making some w/ mini-starquad cable but since there are also stage lights and other electrical cables around the location I was worried about them picking up noise hence the balanced question.  But I think in this instance I guess I'll just mount the full bodies and use some long balanced starquads.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 55 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com