Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: K5 ISK Y cable  (Read 4159 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
K5 ISK Y cable
« on: April 15, 2015, 02:34:47 PM »
Can anyone tell me the correct way to make a Y cable to join 2 K5 ISK cables into a single stereo mini plug?

I made a Y cable but it is not working -  need to know the wiring connections on the junction box of a KIY 250 O/I

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: K5 ISK Y cable
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 03:45:22 PM »
It's a little unclear what exactly you're trying to make. Are you trying to make a KIY 250 clone with 5-pin Binder connectors or are you trying to make a stereo-y min-plug cable with dual female inputs and a single stereo mini output?

Attached is the wiring for the CMBI and K 5 ISK cables which you can infer everything you need from. If you have a pair of CMBIs, the most important thing to note is that pins 2 and 3 are bridged so that a single mic can produce a 2x mono signal.

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 04:12:14 PM »
Troubleshooting an already made  dual female mini to  single stereo mini connected to 2 CMBI's / K5 ISK's.

Grounds tied together, tips connected, rings unconnected at the female sides, one tip to ring and the other tip to sleeve on the male side. Only getting signal on the tip though no matter what I do.

I tried snipping the green wire on one of the K5 ISK cables to no avail.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 04:23:47 PM »
Got it.

Grounds tied together, tips connected, rings unconnected at the female sides, one tip to ring and the other tip to sleeve on the male side. Only getting signal on the tip though no matter what I do.

OK, well that's a good sign and is exactly the way it's supposed to be. Have you tested continuity with a multi-meter to make sure there isn't a short somewhere in the cable? Have you tried a different recorder / input?

Also test the continuity of the ISK cables.

I tried snipping the green wire on one of the K5 ISK cables to no avail.

That's technically OK because the white conductor also carries the signal, but you're going to want to re-solder it. There's no reason to disconnect anything on the ISK cables.

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »
Thanks, it was an intermittent connection at the recorder side, my M10 mic in doesn't like certain mini plugs. Line in works fine.

If there is noise from the cables being too long I'm going to hack these suckers up tomorrow.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 05:05:41 PM »
Thanks, it was an intermittent connection at the recorder side, my M10 mic in doesn't like certain mini plugs. Line in works fine.

If there is noise from the cables being too long I'm going to hack these suckers up tomorrow.

Go for it! No reason to have unbalanced cables longer than needed. I never noticed any noise issues when running CMBIs or CMRs and Schoeps cable is well shielded, but it's an easy job and worth it if you have the time.

beenjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 04:13:53 PM »
I'm having an issue with running stereo CMBIs through the KIY 250/0 Y cable that may be related.

In addition to the 16" Y cable, I have the two single Binder to stereo male 3.5mm cables that ship with each body and a custom Schoeps single binder to dual male XLR. With each of the three cables and with two separate recorders the same problem persists: each channel outputs both mics. In other words, there is no stereo separation. I double checked the matrix on my recorder to rule that out. Went to my DAW, inverted the phase of one track, and I get a null.

Save for one CMBI body and cable, everything is newly purchased. I'm sending everything back to Redding tomorrow and will report back.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com