Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omni's at Red Rocks...  (Read 8419 times)

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
Omni's at Red Rocks...
« on: March 24, 2003, 05:09:37 PM »
Okay so I am really bored with my school work and my mind began to wander to warmer days.. like this summer at Red Rocks..

What do ya'll think of running omni's at Red Rocks? I know it has been done before but I have never heard the results. I was talking with E-Scott about this a week or so ago and he raised the point of the steep incline of the venue and the possibility of some nasty slap-back reflections...

any thoughts?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:Omni's at Red Rocks...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 05:23:49 PM »
While I don't think it would sound bad Scott brings up a very good point. Most people recommend you don't run omni's say where there is hill behind you or a wall or what not. That incline is filled with people during the show so I am not sure what kind of reflection you get off of people.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 06:46:18 PM »
I'd say to stick with cards for the reasons stated above.  Too much reverberance from the rear.

Tim

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 06:55:45 PM »
I was thinking subcards would be perfect...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 07:24:34 PM »
yea, subcards sound like a good idea. Been wanting to try the mk21's out myself.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 02:42:13 AM »
Yes, try it out and learn from your experiences!!!!!!!! i plan on running all kind of weird configurations this summer.....LOL, and happy taping ;D try the omnis and set up another copy to be on the safe side cause my card tapes there BLOW w/ 481's........

my $00.02

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 04:40:19 PM »
Red Rocks is Notorious  for phase shifting due to wind.  The least affected by this is the Omni's.  people are a great absorber.  Run the Omni's, and if you have another deck patch for comps...make that patch subcards too ;)

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 02:21:28 AM »
go with the omni's!!!!!!!!!!!!!   8)
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 10:16:19 AM »
I just got ADK TL's and I plan on running Omni, at least the 1 night (if its not windy).
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Tim

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 10:20:06 AM »
Thanks for the input guys... looks like I was on the right train of thought at least. I've got all summer there so I'll do a little experimenting...

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2003, 02:29:43 PM »
Hi Tim and All,

I have run omnis and subcardioids at Red Rocks quite a bit, but with mixed results.  Generally, like has already been said, I find that Omnis will be boomy if run with a substantial wall or incline behind them (Red Rocks, The Greek, Mud Island).

I hoped subcards would be the ticket to great tapes at Red Rocks but I was only moderately pleased with the DPA 4015's (subs) during the Panic shows last year.  Ironically, they were a bit better than the 4011's (cards) which I haven't liked much at the Rocks, but I wish I had run another flavor (I've gotten great results with AKG 480's and MBHO 603 cardioids at Red Rocks). As a major exception to this, I made a really nice recording of Blues Traveller at Red Rocks with Microtech Gefell M296 omnis back in '97.

Tim, since you are nearby, feel free to come by and raid the collection.  I have a lot of recordings you could use to aid your decision.

Of course, first hand listening and making your own mistakes or having your own successes is the best way of determining what works best for you.

Happy Recording Everybody,

Marc

Tim

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2003, 02:35:27 PM »
Thanks Marc! I was hoping to hear from you...

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2003, 04:29:05 PM »
As a major exception to this, I made a really nice recording of Blues Traveller at Red Rocks with Microtech Gefell M296 omnis back in '97.

Really, is there any surprise there?
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Tim

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2003, 04:30:52 PM »
Team Geffell... you guys are so subtle and sly... walk softly and carry a big stick! While all of us neumann/schoeps geeks are making a bunch of noise Team Geffell is going home with the g00dz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com