Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Experience with Milab VM-44 Link?  (Read 32128 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Experience with Milab VM-44 Link?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2008, 11:34:26 PM »
hey so they are now
on the Full Compass site
listed as:

List Price: $810.27
Our Price: $681.14
You save 16%!
Usually ships in 2-3 weeks
Need it sooner? Call us!
This item is eligible for FREE Shipping!

with their Pro Pass they offer
no interest / no payments for 6months

damn!
I'm thinkin' I should go for them!

Wow. That seems like a great price!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2008, 11:49:39 PM »
Great price indeed! Wow.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2008, 12:09:19 AM »
So you are gonna go for it, eh?
They seem like great mics.
yep
but I gotta wait for the snail mailing of the card 7 - 10- days

and then wait another 2 - 3 weeks
but
then I have 6 months to pay them off- perhaps float some of my tax return dollars to them... It's a bit crazy since my funds are not great right now  ;D
though
from the comps I heard I really like the way the are very full sounding
and that in the future I can get the omni caps

and for 2 new
lifetime warrantied mics at $1362.28 with free shipping
it's hard to pass up
 >:D
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2008, 02:56:31 AM »
As I've commented previously in this thread, I think these are great sounding mics and the prices being stated makes these an even more attractive alternative than the $1700 or so that I was looking at a year or so ago.

What I don't understand is why Milabs wouldn't be working on getting a full compliment of capsules together to support this microphone series.  I know I'd be looking more seriously at them if they did.

This has come up in the past here and the result of people's inquiries was that we shouldn't expect to see anything other than the cards and omnis.  If they did include say a hyper and figure 8, I think there would be a far larger demand, at least from the people that frequent ts.com.

It could be that low demand keeps them from committing fully, but it seems to me that if you're gonna design the root product to have interchangeability, you'd follow it up with the goods to support that line.  Also, if you're in the business of making microphones, doesn't it follow that you'd support a base unit like the VM-44Link pseudo actives with a full compliment of capsules?

They might claim that the omni capsules are available for that purpose...to provide options to the root product, but then I'd counter with the question...then why limit the available option to only an omni capsule? 

Some people may respond, well it's because ours is a niche market and a manufacturer like Milabs has a far broader customer base to listen to than just ours.  Even so, I see the answer is the same...then why limit the options to only two mic capsules and what makes the omni a better cardioid alternative than any of the other patterns?

I'm not really complaining or wanting to cast a cloud over this thread.  It's just that the lower price of the VM-44 Link got me, once again, to wishing out loud that Milabs would support their product with a complete capsule compliment...and as it stands now it just seems to me like they've got a half-hearted commitment to this product line.  It was the reason that I personally committed to the Neumann product-line back when I owned both and had a decision to make.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:11:23 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2008, 07:10:52 AM »
Too much cost associated with R&D and nowhere near enough ROI on the back end for a super-niche market like tapers I would imagine.

If you need other patterns, why not just buy other mics for those?  That's what most people do (in the non-taping world, at least).

I'd say cardioid and omni are the two most popular and useable patterns for most people worldwide, so unless you have a highly effective market presence with your brand name (like Schoeps or Sennheiser/Neumann) it makes sense to focus on what's going to bring in the money and maybe if there's enough demand later on you look at other options.

Keep in mind that Milab (no "s") is a very small shop, and has been relatively unknown outside of Europe until recently although they have been around for quite a while.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

stevetoney

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2008, 07:33:23 AM »
Too much cost associated with R&D and nowhere near enough ROI on the back end for a super-niche market like tapers I would imagine.

If you need other patterns, why not just buy other mics for those?  That's what most people do (in the non-taping world, at least).

I'd say cardioid and omni are the two most popular and useable patterns for most people worldwide, so unless you have a highly effective market presence with your brand name (like Schoeps or Sennheiser/Neumann) it makes sense to focus on what's going to bring in the money and maybe if there's enough demand later on you look at other options.

Keep in mind that Milab (no "s") is a very small shop, and has been relatively unknown outside of Europe until recently although they have been around for quite a while.

True that!  No debate needed because I don't disagree with any of your points TNJazz.

Honestly, I was a little bit stubborn on this issue because of MBHO.  I see Milab as pretty analogous to MBHO.  Both are 'mom and pop' shops.

However, MBHO didn't stop at two capsules. 

Again, not so much complaining as wishing, and of course, providing input/feedback if Milab (no 's') happens to being kibitzing.   ;)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »
Great price indeed! Wow.

QFT.  These are fantastic mics, esp at that price.

As to Steve's comments about wanting other caps, I agree it'd be very nice.  But I really wouldn't go so far as to say they are not supporting and committed to their product. Particularly with a lifetime warranty -- that is product support!  As TNJazz mentions, cards and omnis are the main mic type most users want, and their isn't enough demand to warrant the R&D needed for hypers, etc.

Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

stevetoney

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2008, 10:37:08 AM »
Great price indeed! Wow.

As to Steve's comments about wanting other caps, I agree it'd be very nice.  But I really wouldn't go so far as to say they are not supporting and committed to their product. Particularly with a lifetime warranty -- that is product support!  As TNJazz mentions, cards and omnis are the main mic type most users want, and their isn't enough demand to warrant the R&D needed for hypers, etc.

True again.  I guess I'm coming off as bashing these mics and the company.  I'm not meaning to. 

For $1400 or less a pair NEW, I'd have no problem owning these mics again!

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2008, 12:51:49 PM »
Great price indeed! Wow.

True again.  I guess I'm coming off as bashing these mics and the company.  I'm not meaning to. 

For $1400 or less a pair NEW, I'd have no problem owning these mics again!

Steve, I have a buddy that runs these and they sound awesome, and while the company is small, he said they are actually much like B&K in that they are purists about omni and 1st order cards being the only "true" mic patterns to make (this was before they made the 4017s). Milabs have actually been around for years, particularly the hand held vocal mics. Those iconic ball with the vents in the back that Jerry and the boys sang into after the Dead switched from MD421s for vocals from the mid '80s to the end were Milabs.

I also heard a story where the main guy at B&K was once asked about hypers, and his response was something like "why would anyone want to record in a situation where such a thing would be needed?" or something smug like that. I love the sound of these Milab SD mics, and if I was seeking an active solution, these would be at the top of my list.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2008, 06:31:19 AM »
So you are gonna go for it, eh?
They seem like great mics.
yep
but I gotta wait for the snail mailing of the card 7 - 10- days

and then wait another 2 - 3 weeks
but
then I have 6 months to pay them off- perhaps float some of my tax return dollars to them... It's a bit crazy since my funds are not great right now  ;D
though
from the comps I heard I really like the way the are very full sounding
and that in the future I can get the omni caps

and for 2 new
lifetime warrantied mics at $1362.28 with free shipping
it's hard to pass up

Are there any "knowledgeable" microphone sales folks at Full Compass? - Just like everywhere else some of those "sales people" there don't know their product(s) or they really don't care or both... 

Anybody here have repeat favorable dealings with any specific sales folk there?  Names please.   ;)

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2008, 06:20:29 PM »
Our rep is named Luis Acosta @ ext. 1178

He's always been really helpful, easy to deal with, and fairly knowledgeable.

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2008, 09:43:35 PM »
hey

I spoke to my old Rep today At Full Compass
Ron Vogel X-1139
my last transactions there were in 2002 (my Rode NT 5's)
but he will be there 14years in January
a nice  helpful guy and knowledgeable
he said there is a 14 day (rough, could be less) ship time from Milab  (no drop ship)
and that the price the rep can quote for a  2 would be $1264.04 (or $632.02 each) but it would not include free shipping 2 with shipping  dealing with a rep is $1284.04

Nyce  ;D

that's about a  ~ $78 savings

and  a great deal for a pair with a lifetime warranty (to the originall purchaser)
as soon as my card arrives ... I'm all over them!
!
Peace
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2008, 09:53:06 PM »
Sweet Ian.  It will be nice having these badboys for Pickathon.   >:D

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »
Sweet Ian.  It will be nice having these badboys for Pickathon.   >:D
you know it Mark!
I figured you might be interested in having them at the pickathon!  - I know I will be stoked about it!
 8)
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

stevetoney

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2008, 03:59:12 AM »
Hey Ian.  Do you know what exactly does a lifetime warranty mean?  Whose lifetime, LOL?

Serioiusly though, do you or anyone else reading this know what the typical terms of a lifetime warranty are?  Does it convey with the mics and is it so broad that it means that whoever owns the mics whenever something happens, they'll warrant them (within reason...obviously physical abuse is not warranted)...or maybe it's limited only to the person that purchased the mics.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com