Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie AT831CB11 question  (Read 1735 times)

Offline ash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
newbie AT831CB11 question
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:18:25 PM »
hi. sorry for making another AT8xxx related thread but since i cant find my question answered here or anywhere else, i have to ask openly: anyone know what AT831CB11 stands for? it says "Unterminated version of AT831B" but i just dont get it. is it usable like an ext mic for Hi-MD or not? can anyone clear this up for me, please? the more im googling the less i know.

thanks!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 06:03:13 AM by ash »

Offline Wedge

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: newbie AT831x question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 06:07:31 AM »
Not an expert, but 'unterminated', to me, sounds like the cable is exactly that - unterminated - no XLR, no anything.

So you would need to add your own 3.5mm plug to connect it to an MD if that is what you are after.

Also, if you want stereo, you'll need 2 of them of course connected to a 3.5mm stereo jack.

Alternatively, save yourself some cash, and get a stereo AT831 ready made - the Sound Professionals CMC-2 is just the ticket.  Mine cost me $159 I think.

Offline ash

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: newbie AT831x question
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 07:37:21 AM »
thanks for the reply. think i wouldnt be able to make it works then :(

if i could order online, id definitely go into CMC-2. ive found available only AT853A in my country here in europe, but they are for like $340 and thats just way too much for me.

guess i will hafta get some crappy sony mic as ecm719 instead :-\

Offline Wedge

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: newbie AT831CB11 question
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 08:47:29 AM »
Is it not possible for you to get someone to order on-line for you?

Failing that, you might want to investigate Soundman mics - these are sold in Europe through distributors (made in Germany I think) and are quite well regarded by the Europeans that use them I believe. 

They are only available as omni-directional though and if you are interested - then check all the information about the different models thoroughly before purchase.  For instance, it is no good trying to record a quiet acoustic show with the Rock version, as you will get feedback (see their FAQ).

If you want stealthy cardioids - then I'd definitely explore some kind of way of ordering CMC-2s (or -4s or -8s)from Sounds Professional.  I imagine that they would take an international money order (which will cost you mind) - and I'm sure they take Paypal.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com