Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreen question  (Read 3838 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Windscreen question
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:28:15 AM »
hey guys. I had a quick question. Do you use windscreens on your mics at all times? Or do you only use them at outdoors shows, and take them off for indoor shows.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
Re: Windscreen question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:43:04 AM »
On for basically all outdoor shows plus any indoor shows where there are fans, possibility of fans, AC's or heaters,etc.  Any time you're concerned about rapid air movement around the mics, windscreens are a good idea.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 09:54:50 AM »
I always have at least a small foam windscreen on my mics. Not only for the fans, heater ducts etc, but I would rather have the windscreen saturated with the smoke in some of the bars I tape in than the diaphragm of the mic. Tobacco smoke, vile stuff; not only does it smell bad but leaves an equally nasty residue as well.

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 10:14:10 AM »
^^^^^^

Ditto, I use my screens in smoky venues as well, but in clean air venues, with no fans or AC vents nearby, I tape "naked."  For outdoor, I also have a pair of Dead Rats to supplement the regular foam screens.  They are lifesavers.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 12:51:14 PM »
i somehow lost one of my windscreens last night while stealthing, so i need to get some new ones quick! Anyone have a suggestion of an okay, cheap windscreen, mostly just for indoor shows that might have some fans and what not, but not outdoor wind?

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 01:03:52 PM »
i somehow lost one of my windscreens last night while stealthing, so i need to get some new ones quick! Anyone have a suggestion of an okay, cheap windscreen, mostly just for indoor shows that might have some fans and what not, but not outdoor wind?

Radio shack.

For outdoor, I also have a pair of Dead Rats to supplement the regular foam screens.  They are lifesavers.

Dead rats make a HUGE difference outdoors!  Worth the investment in time or money (easy to make if you've got a sewing machine).  There is someone on the board who makes 'em at a very reasonable price, but I can't think of who that is at the moment.

I always have at least a small foam windscreen on my mics. Not only for the fans, heater ducts etc, but I would rather have the windscreen saturated with the smoke in some of the bars I tape in than the diaphragm of the mic. Tobacco smoke, vile stuff; not only does it smell bad but leaves an equally nasty residue as well.

Quite luckily, all the venues in Mpls./St. Paul are smoke free!!!!  It's a nice change, and will likely go state wide in the near future.

While I fundamentally disagree with the law, as a non-smoker I sure enjoy its benefits!!!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 02:51:52 PM »

Radio shack.

For outdoor, I also have a pair of Dead Rats to supplement the regular foam screens.  They are lifesavers.

Dead rats make a HUGE difference outdoors!  Worth the investment in time or money (easy to make if you've got a sewing machine).  There is someone on the board who makes 'em at a very reasonable price, but I can't think of who that is at the moment.

Quite luckily, all the venues in Mpls./St. Paul are smoke free!!!!  It's a nice change, and will likely go state wide in the near future.

While I fundamentally disagree with the law, as a non-smoker I sure enjoy its benefits!!!

Does Radioshack only sell vocal mic windscreens? Or do they have other sizes, because i have some real small Church Audio stealth mics.

Also, do you have any link to info about dead rats, i have tried looking around, but everything i find is vague.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 03:04:40 PM »

If its for a pair of my Mics I can send you a replacement for free..

Just PM me with your address.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »
[
Also, do you have any link to info about dead rats, i have tried looking around, but everything i find is vague.

darkstarjedi makes dead rats for a very reasonable price; do an advanced search for dead rats by author darkstarjedi and you should be able to find the post where he offerd to make and sell them. Basically dead rats cut out the rumble in very windy conditions. They also cut out a bit of the high frequencies but that is a more than fair trade for getting a listenable recording vs having the recording ruined by the low end rumble of a good brreze.

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 07:29:25 PM »
[

darkstarjedi makes dead rats for a very reasonable price; do an advanced search for dead rats by author darkstarjedi and you should be able to find the post where he offerd to make and sell them. Basically dead rats cut out the rumble in very windy conditions. They also cut out a bit of the high frequencies but that is a more than fair trade for getting a listenable recording vs having the recording ruined by the low end rumble of a good brreze.

That's right, it's darkstarjedi.  His post is loaded with pictures, too, so you'll know exactly what we're talking about.  But let me see if I can dig up a photo here, as I just posted one last week or so that featured my rats (from a discussion about Healy Method Omni configuration)...

... allright.  Here's two shots.  The first is my HO's with rats on top (in Healy config), ScottT's Lux's with my old rats on bottom (cute, eh?  Matching dead rats!  Please note that I'm the top, ScottT's the bottom   ;)  ).  The second pick is Stejampzy's LSD2 with the single rat sewn for it.  I'm pretty sure darkstarjedi did that one for him.  I made my rats with wife's help.

The deal is they slip over the windscreens, so they're an additional layer of protection in forced air/high wind conditions.  So if you want to make them, buy the material, fit the material over your windscreen to "measure," then leaving a bit extra, cut the material and sew it into the approximate shape.  By no means is it an exact science or anything...

Matching dead rats (Dean's MBHO's in Healy omni config, and my Superluxes)

LSD2 (stejampzy's new toy)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 01:13:49 AM »
[

That's right, it's darkstarjedi.  His post is loaded with pictures, too, so you'll know exactly what we're talking about.  But let me see if I can dig up a photo here, as I just posted one last week or so that featured my rats (from a discussion about Healy Method Omni configuration)...

... allright.  Here's two shots.  The first is my HO's with rats on top (in Healy config), ScottT's Lux's with my old rats on bottom (cute, eh?  Matching dead rats!  Please note that I'm the top, ScottT's the bottom   ;)  ).  The second pick is Stejampzy's LSD2 with the single rat sewn for it.  I'm pretty sure darkstarjedi did that one for him.  I made my rats with wife's help.

The deal is they slip over the windscreens, so they're an additional layer of protection in forced air/high wind conditions.  So if you want to make them, buy the material, fit the material over your windscreen to "measure," then leaving a bit extra, cut the material and sew it into the approximate shape.  By no means is it an exact science or anything...

Matching dead rats (Dean's MBHO's in Healy omni config, and my Superluxes)

LSD2 (stejampzy's new toy)

Your photo's are giving me vertigo :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 04:49:47 AM »
They DO look like Dead Rats btw  ;D
And I saw a dead bunny too. Wonder what excuse people'd use when getting caught steathing. 'Sorry, I was just hanging my dead bunny to dry'  :P
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com