Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4U and other SP mics with new "low-sensitivity-mod" for very high SPL  (Read 12668 times)

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Does any of you guys know if the 4.7K mod is now available from soundprofessionals?
Check the dropdown-menues of the mics.....this is new.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-CMC-4U&type=store&template=specifications
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:02:01 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
Re: SP-CMC-4U and other SP mics with new "low-sensitivity-mod" for 25$
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 01:59:25 AM »
chris from soundprof. just confirmed that the 4.7k mod is now available for this mic.
he mailed me:
> Hi,
> the SP-CMC-4U cardioids are offered with a low-sensitivity modification
> for 25$ regarding to the dropdown menues. Does this imply the 4.7K MOD?
> Please let me know.

Yes, it is.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc.
3444 Sylon Blvd.
Hainesport, NJ 08036
USA
www.soundprofessionals.com
Toll Free: 800-213-3021
Phone: 609-267-4400
FAX: 609-267-0054
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 02:06:24 AM by Arni99 »

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 02:31:08 AM »
Just so you have it straight: $25 if you order it in a new set of mics.  It is $35 plus postage to have it retrofitted.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 04:27:41 AM »
I just ordered the SP-CMC-4U(AT853U) cardioids with the 4.7k mod from soundprofessionals.
hope they arrive before June 29th....;) some shows need to be taped soon!

Offline kozakz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »
i got the new SP-CMC4U and if i running on a 2 wire battery box even at a moderate loud concert my recording has too much distorsion. if i am running the same mic with a preamp in 3 wires cable mode there is no problem even at really loud shows.

My mics are terminated in mini xlrs and i have cable which convert to stereo jack, this is the way i can use it on 48v preamp or a 2 wire battery box unit.

in my openion sound pro should offer this mod free of charge because without this their product is not working properly on 2 wire setup with battery box.

The old version of CMC4 with AT853A capsules do not suffer from this problem.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 06:53:40 AM »
I just ordered the SP-CMC-4U(AT853U) cardioids with the 4.7k mod from soundprofessionals.
hope they arrive before June 29th....;) some shows need to be taped soon!
my low-sens SP-modded SP-CMC-4U arrived today.
will test them in 2 weeks at a big openair show.
www.lovelydays.at will be their 2nd run 1 week later.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:01:25 AM by Arni99 »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Its nice to know someone is making some money off my 4.7k mod but just to let you know I do the mod MY MOD for $10 + return shipping.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
Its nice to know someone is making some money off my 4.7k mod but just to let you know I do the mod MY MOD for $10 + return shipping.
I know Chris, but shipping from Europe to Canada and back is not cheap ;).
I bought them new so it made sense SP did the mod BEFORE shipping them to me.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 12:40:24 PM by Arni99 »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)

Do you know if SP is doing the 4.7k mod, or are they just putting mini XLRs on there and using a three wire battery box?

Overall, I feel that the original SP models, whether AT or their "house" brand, were never suitable for concert recording.  I just bought my mics (AT853) there because it was the cheapest place to find them at the time.  I immediately rewired them...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member

Do you know if SP is doing the 4.7k mod, or are they just putting mini XLRs on there and using a three wire battery box?

Overall, I feel that the original SP models, whether AT or their "house" brand, were never suitable for concert recording.  I just bought my mics (AT853) there because it was the cheapest place to find them at the time.  I immediately rewired them...

Richard

I asked Chris Carfagno from SP and he told me it would be the 4.7k mod.
"Separation" of left + right channel is great.

Had some old AT853s for testing last week where separation was almost gone after the mod.
When I touched the left mic the right micĀ“s levelmeter bounced up 80% of the left mic.

With my SP-modded SP-CMC-4U all is fine ;).

Richard, check the 2nd post in this thread ;).

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 01:17:43 PM by Arni99 »

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)

I think Chris's cards sound just as good. If not better & are cheaper. Funny you posted how to do this mod about a month ago. Now they offer it. In all you should be proud how well it works.

T+
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Church-Audio

I think Chris's cards sound just as good. If not better & are cheaper. Funny you posted how to do this mod about a month ago. Now they offer it. In all you should be proud how well it works.

T+

The whole reason that mod was invented was because I had some cardiod mics I wanted to sell to the taping community but, before I did that I wanted to make sure they did not distort at loud levels. So I invested a lot of money in test equipment to be able to measure the distortion of these microphones BEFOR I sold them. I found out that my capsules when they were stock from the factory had a distortion of more then 8% when wired in a two wire configuration. I then measured the 853 mics and found that they had almost 10% distortion. I then discovered over 4 years ago that if I put a 4.7k resistor in my microphones the distortion decreased from 8% to 0.5% and with the 853 from 10% to 0.5% decrease. The only draw back was a reduced output level. Since we know that using 3 wire for these mics reduces the level by 10db. I thought that an additional 2db was a small price to pay for being able to use the 853 or my Cardioid mics with ANY recorder providing a plug in power input. Thus eliminating the need for a 3 wire battery box.. And all the extra things required to run these mics.

I feel that I should have received some credit for coming up with this mod and for making my discovery public. Some people have decided to charge people for this mod and make money from my hard work. In the end I cant stop them from reselling this. But I want everyone to know it was me who came up with it and it was my hard work and hours of experimentation to come to this 4.7k mod. I just wish all people wanting to do this mod for others just charge for the cost of parts. Its not magic my ideas came from experimentation. I am not some electronics genius, just someone that wanted to make sure the products I sell work and do what I say they will. Not distort when your using them at a loud concert.

Chris

nameloc01

is this discussion re: the 853 clipping issue mostly?

i just used my newest setup for the 2nd & 3rd time this past week. the first run was the Black Sabbath show in cleveland,it was quite loud,but there was absolutely no clipping whatsoever and the recording came out a-1.

and the second run was the TOOl show in SC. and i'll tell ya' what,i was 14th row from the stage,and you can imagine how loud it was, and those mics with the nadys and dececke pulled a beautiful recording. and again ,there was no clipping or brickwalling at all.none.the low end is very solid,the mids are full and rich and the highs are crisp.

i'm not trying to toot my own horn, i am just curious as to the exact reason for this mod? is it to avoid having the phantom power mod done, and avoid the power supply purchase?
i am just curious.
as the AT techs will tell you (fyi) while they do technically work with the SP joint 1/8" mini termination, the were designed to use their AT power modules. they do not hide that fact, the second best way is the nadycbm40s>phantom power (denecke) 
i dont see how with either of those two setups these mics can possibly be overpowered.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:52:20 PM by nameloc01 »

Offline Church-Audio

is this discussion re: the 853 clipping issue mostly?

i just used my newest setup for the 2nd & 3rd time this past week. the first run was the Black Sabbath show in cleveland,it was quite loud,but there was absolutely no clipping whatsoever and the recording came out a-1.

and the second run was the TOOl show in SC. and i'll tell ya' what,i was 14th row from the stage,and you can imagine how loud it was, and those mics with the nadys and dececke pulled a beautiful recording. and again ,there was no clipping or brickwalling at all.none.the low end is very solid,the mids are full and rich and the highs are crisp.

i'm not trying to toot my own horn, i am just curious as to the exact reason for this mod? is it to avoid having the phantom power mod done, and avoid the power supply purchase?
i am just curious.
as the AT techs will tell you (fyi) while they do technically work with the SP joint 1/8" mini termination, the were designed to use their AT power modules. they do not hide that fact, the second best way is the nadycbm40s>phantom power (denecke) 
i dont see how with either of those two setups these mics can possibly be overpowered.

Some guys dont want to run three wire because they dont want to use a full size phantom preamp and want to use it with a recorder like a r-09. With out any other preamp or battery box, my 4.7k mod allows you to use the 853 mics and my mics with out any battery box or external preamp and get the same or better distortion handling as you do with your three wire setup for loud shows. When the shows are not so loud and signal to noise is an issue you can then use a 2 wire preamp like my st-9100 with the 853 or my cardioids, and get the same quality as a full size phantom power supply/preamp. But in a much smaller package. Thats why people want the 4.7k mod and reduced distortion that my mod gives you. Your setup is 3 wire so your getting the advantage of reduced distortion but with a little bit bigger size setup but if you compare my setup to yours the performance is the same my rig is just smaller.

Chris

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
[edit: post deleted to protect the innocent]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 10:40:42 PM by Fred W III »
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com