Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FINALLY: new "DPA 4080" Miniature CARDIOID Microphone, Lavalier, Black  (Read 16673 times)

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Houston
Re: FINALLY: new "DPA 4080" Miniature CARDIOID Microphone, Lavalier, Black
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 08:15:49 PM »
I can't find the frequency response/power spectra for the DPA402X.  I'd like to see/hear how they compare.  The DPA4023 being an unattainable dream I've had for a few months now...   :bigsmile:

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 04:54:23 AM »
I have taken these from www.dpamicrophones.dk

Offline j.mart

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 01:07:19 AM »
by the look of that graph, i'd wager it won't fit in our needs. that nasty roll-off and the 5k boost look suitable for vocals. the flatter the better imo
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:09:23 AM by Stutter »
semi-retired

rec:
AT943 (o, c) / DPA SMK4061
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 05:03:19 AM »
bottom end of only 250hz??

:moves on:

yep

Frequency range, ± 2 dB:  250 Hz - 17 kHz with typ. 4 dB soft boost at 4-6 kHz (-5 dB at 100 Hz)

I've gotten pretty used to 20 - 20k. 
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 11:40:18 AM »
The bass roll-off has me reconsidering, especially since that's at a pretty close placement.  Assuming the 4080 is overall of the quality of the 4060 series, would EQing the recording to boost the bass below 250 H by the flip of this curve work, or would it introduce distortions?

Jeff

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 03:15:16 AM »
price according to this site is 2600 danish crowns which makes 491 US$ for 1 mic.
http://www.soundware.dk/page463.aspx?recordid463=142
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »
price according to this site is 2600 danish crowns which makes 491 US$ for 1 mic.
http://www.soundware.dk/page463.aspx?recordid463=142

I'll be passing on these and waiting in the hopes that dpa will release a mini card more suitable to our needs (my needs)...

;)

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline loul69

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 05:27:56 AM »
Someone has tested it?
DPA 4061   -> mini-xlr -> Homemade bbox -> iriver ihp-120
SP-CMC-4u -> mini-xlr -> 3-wire preamp     -> iriver ihp-120

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 08:17:24 AM »
Someone has tested it?

They´ll be available as of October 2007 thus none will have tested them yet.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 03:48:12 PM »
I've seen these in wide recent use as lavalier mics for television reporter vocals, I would guess that the extreme directionality and fragility and cost of these mics will limit their use to that application almost entirely

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
When I spoke with Bruce Myers earlier in the year (today nobody's home at DPA US, just a phone answerer, I left voicemail for next week) he indicated that the 4080 was the first of several cardioids, and was intended as a lavalier mic (as opposed to the earlier mini-cardioid they put out which was meant for mounting an inch or two from the mouth).  The later ones might be better for us, but he indicated that even this model would smoke the micro-mini cardioid competition in sound, so I'll be ordering a pair, I think.  No price or exact date was given to me, maybe next week.

Jeff

Any news on the appearance of the next generation of dpa mini cards, ones that may be suitable for our musical reproduction needs?

::)

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
When I spoke with Bruce Myers earlier in the year (today nobody's home at DPA US, just a phone answerer, I left voicemail for next week) he indicated that the 4080 was the first of several cardioids, and was intended as a lavalier mic (as opposed to the earlier mini-cardioid they put out which was meant for mounting an inch or two from the mouth).  The later ones might be better for us, but he indicated that even this model would smoke the micro-mini cardioid competition in sound, so I'll be ordering a pair, I think.  No price or exact date was given to me, maybe next week.

Jeff

Any news on the appearance of the next generation of dpa mini cards, ones that may be suitable for our musical reproduction needs?

Looks like right now the 402X series is the only option from DPA.  Believe it or not, but they are pretty stealthable - the downside is probably the cost. 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN

Jeff

Looks like right now the 402X series is the only option from DPA.  Believe it or not, but they are pretty stealthable - the downside is probably the cost. 

See above quote ^^^^

When I spoke with Bruce Myers earlier in the year (today nobody's home at DPA US, just a phone answerer, I left voicemail for next week) he indicated that the 4080 was the first of several cardioids, and was intended as a lavalier mic (as opposed to the earlier mini-cardioid they put out which was meant for mounting an inch or two from the mouth).  The later ones might be better for us.

I'm looking for info on "the later ones"...

:)

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston

See above quote ^^^^

When I spoke with Bruce Myers earlier in the year (today nobody's home at DPA US, just a phone answerer, I left voicemail for next week) he indicated that the 4080 was the first of several cardioids, and was intended as a lavalier mic (as opposed to the earlier mini-cardioid they put out which was meant for mounting an inch or two from the mouth).  The later ones might be better for us.

So like I wrote - in the meantime the 402X series is the only DPA option for stealth cards.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN

See above quote ^^^^

So like I wrote - in the meantime the 402X series is the only DPA option for stealth cards.

I'm not looking at the 402X series for low profile (although I will be looking at the dpa 4028 for open taping next year) - the imminent birth of the gefell nbox will solve the "low profile, quality card" problem for me. 

:headphones:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com