Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBM-1 "over" light  (Read 9692 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: SBM-1 "over" light
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2004, 12:02:40 PM »
Mac,

I do the same thing....always want to be sure I am NOT going over.  I see it light up and move the level a wee bit down.  I make all level adjustments later in post processing.

I used to patch with some guys here that loved it hot.  Well, I can tell you that I got more than a few instances of the digi-farts (wayyyy over).

Your stuff does not sound like ass,

ANDY 

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2004, 01:55:07 PM »
a flicker doesn't mean you are hitting 0..if I remember right when it starts to flicker you still have 2 or so db's of headroom left.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2004, 03:32:05 PM »
as long as the lights dont stay on more than 2 seconds you'll be OK

i run mine hot, i like to see it light up...if it aint lighting up it aint hot enough, baby!

Word! so happy to hear some one else hears what I hear....
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2004, 07:30:27 PM »
as long as the lights dont stay on more than 2 seconds you'll be OK

i run mine hot, i like to see it light up...if it aint lighting up it aint hot enough, baby!

Word! so happy to hear some one else hears what I hear....

I always ran mine like that too.  Sounded awesome, no audible issues, but still clipping of the waveform occasionall when viewed in cool edit.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2004, 08:09:10 PM »
I just ran the modSBM > NJB3 at 'The Catch' here at Bumbershoot.  I set the gain and then just walked in and didn't bother checking the levels (those meters are worthless),  I did notice that the over light was more than just flickering about ten to fifteen minutes into it....I would get an occasional 1-2 sec long light and then flickering for about %30-50 of the time.  I noticed no clipping upon listening later (during the show, I freaked and turned it down anyway).  It actually sounds pretty awesome.  So far, FRI: The Divorce, Taarka (full rig), Burning Spear; SAT:  Laura Veirs (full rig) and The Catch.  Just popped in for a breather before getting Omar Faruk (or DBT if Omar is sucking ass).  I am running LoSammy's MG200s into the Sax and modSBM.

ANDY

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2004, 08:37:49 PM »
I just ran the modSBM > NJB3 at 'The Catch' here at Bumbershoot.  I set the gain and then just walked in and didn't bother checking the levels (those meters are worthless),  I did notice that the over light was more than just flickering about ten to fifteen minutes into it....I would get an occasional 1-2 sec long light and then flickering for about %30-50 of the time.  I noticed no clipping upon listening later (during the show, I freaked and turned it down anyway).  It actually sounds pretty awesome.  So far, FRI: The Divorce, Taarka (full rig), Burning Spear; SAT:  Laura Veirs (full rig) and The Catch.  Just popped in for a breather before getting Omar Faruk (or DBT if Omar is sucking ass).  I am running LoSammy's MG200s into the Sax and modSBM.

ANDY
it certainly is a forgiving unit. i wonder what the levels will say when you open the waveform - keep us posted...

_____

[thread hijack]

how was burning spear..?

if "DBT" = drive by truckers - go tape them. nick gregory just turned me onto them - you will dig them. i have never listened to the derek trucks band, so i don't know about them...

have fun.
[/thread hijack]
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • i'm busy fabercating
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2004, 04:03:57 PM »
well i like to run my gear hot.  i was planning on running the mp-2 @ about 1/4 and then xlr out -> rca in to the sbm-1.  based on that i'd expect not to have to raise the sbm-1 past 3 or 4 to get the light to flicker.
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2004, 05:53:50 PM »
...now, I know this has been covered before, but isn't it recommended that you run your SBM 1 above "6" (something to do with it being a limiter on the signal it's being sent)?

I usually run my V2 at around 20-25 gain, and set the 'BM's levels after that...slight flicker, nothing lighting up for more than one second. Have yet to have anything nasty happen on my recordings that wasn't my own damn fault.
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2004, 06:45:29 PM »
...now, I know this has been covered before, but isn't it recommended that you run your SBM 1 above "6" (something to do with it being a limiter on the signal it's being sent)?

I usually run my V2 at around 20-25 gain, and set the 'BM's levels after that...slight flicker, nothing lighting up for more than one second. Have yet to have anything nasty happen on my recordings that wasn't my own damn fault.

my experience was above 3.5

but that is with the stock unit. once doug oade has modded it, you can run it safely at any level (somebody please correct me if i am wrong about this)...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2004, 12:19:35 PM »
Report: A few clipped waveforms from my 'hot' recording of shows at Bumbershoot (The Catch and Kuma).  Unusally, both shows were LOUD, the crowd was not.  The shows will probably get posted when I get to Japan this November. 

Again, I ran with the DPA4061 > MPS6010 > (mic-in) dual mod SBM > NJB3 'blind'.....starting the recording before I walked into the venue.  I only used the SBM over light as an indication of if I was going over and pretty much guessed where the dial should have been for the show (I guessed 4.5).  The SBM over lights were lighting up for as long as a second.  There are a few peaks that obviously went over 0dB when I look at them on Wavelab, conincide with the kick drums.  Nothing serious, I can't even tell when I listen to those spots.

I'd say blinking and flickering at percussive peaks is what you are striving for, and I think a 'second or two' can be really relative, if you know what I mean.   

ANDY

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2004, 12:40:01 PM »

I'd say blinking and flickering at percussive peaks is what you are striving for, and I think a 'second or two' can be really relative, if you know what I mean.   

ANDY

amen brother
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Tim

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2004, 01:02:32 PM »
well i like to run my gear hot.  i was planning on running the mp-2 @ about 1/4 and then xlr out -> rca in to the sbm-1.  based on that i'd expect not to have to raise the sbm-1 past 3 or 4 to get the light to flicker.

crank the sbm-1...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • i'm busy fabercating
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2004, 01:11:44 PM »
the lights are cooler on the mp-2 tho  ;D
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2004, 01:13:14 PM »
at loud shows though, if you run the mp2 anything above the dead left position, you will have a rough time getting the sbm anywhere above 5, more likely around 3.5-4

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2004, 01:27:18 PM »
wow...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com