Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 questions - monitor sw button, gain knobs (author=alienbobz)  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Tried splitting this out from the Archival Info forum and moving the post, but...glitch trying to move forums.  So...here's the post, original author Jarod, aka alienbobz:

Not to sound like a tard or anything, but it is ok to leave the monintor sw button on for digital/optical outputs right? I know it said analog outputs will be hurt with this, but I just wanted to clearify. I read that part and right now my head is hurt due to confusion.

Also, what about the gain/sens nobs? I have heard from several other people that you should keep them all the way to the right, but I have found that causes too much clipping and the recording sounds crappy. Also have noticed a lot more audience (including intimate (sp?) conversations ;)) with them to the right. Most concerts, it seems that I have to keep it at least halfway to avoiding too much clipping. Thanks for any help.

Jarod
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: UA-5 questions - monitor sw button, gain knobs (author=alienbobz)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 12:09:05 PM »
Figured out the Monitor part. Doesn't effect digital/optical (at least that is what another thread says). What about knobs? Still want to know what most people do.... thanks.

Jarod
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 12:28:06 PM »
i never turn them all the way right and have heard that turning them past 3 o clock (visualize the nob as a clock) introduces noise into the recording.  I've never experienced this, and i turn them until my levels are near peaking.  letting the clipping light, light up on an occasion or two, but never staying on.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 12:33:17 PM »
Yeah that is what I pretty much do. Thanks for the input.

Jarod
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 12:37:26 PM »
Figured out the Monitor part. Doesn't effect digital/optical (at least that is what another thread says). What about knobs? Still want to know what most people do.... thanks.

Jarod
yeah - it does affect analog patchers or external metering levels if your running one of those SVU things off the analog out
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 04:19:41 PM »
So, if I'm running in to the XLRs, and out optically to a JB3, the only knobs I need to concern myself with are the sensitivity knobs for each channel, right? The way I'm reading the manual, it makes it sound like the "output" and "volume" knobs only affect the master output jacks, which it says are the RCA and phone jacks (and not the optical).

Do I have this right?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 04:37:18 PM »
So, if I'm running in to the XLRs, and out optically to a JB3, the only knobs I need to concern myself with are the sensitivity knobs for each channel, right? The way I'm reading the manual, it makes it sound like the "output" and "volume" knobs only affect the master output jacks, which it says are the RCA and phone jacks (and not the optical).

Do I have this right?

This is what I've always thought.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 04:44:32 PM »
I found out at a festival that the monitor left on will drain some power, so now unless there is an analog patcher I just turn it off and turn its knob way down.
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 7.541 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com