Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Multi-Channel USB/Firewire Device  (Read 1941 times)

Offline md

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Multi-Channel USB/Firewire Device
« on: October 27, 2004, 02:55:04 PM »

ok, so I'm looking to do some recordings for a band.  Right now we only want to mix in 2 mics with a soundboard feed.  I want a firewire or usb device (i know it needs to be usb 2.0 to handle anything more than 2 channels) that can run 4 or more channels into my computer.  I plan to not record with a delay and just fix the timing in the channels after the fact.  I was looking into the PreSonus Firepod, but there are 2 problems with that device.  For one, it is a bit beyond my price range and secondly it requires XP.  As of now I run win2000 on my laptop and I really can't switch to XP for various reasons.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm preferably looking for a 6-8 channel device, but a 4 channel will also work.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Multi-Channel USB/Firewire Device
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 03:04:54 PM »
I don't know of any such devices for PC, though I think Digidesign must make a few. I'd say Metric Halo Mobile I/O is the way to go.

www.mhlabs.com
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 03:36:08 PM »
according to edirol both the UA-100 and FA-101 are capable of multitrack recording (i asked them because i thought my m-100fx was capable but its not)

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 04:47:15 PM »
what's your price range?

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 12:54:52 AM »
I regularly do 4 channels of 24/44.1 with an emagic A62.  I haven't tried 6 channels but it's supposed to work fine (USB 1.0 btw).  With the right software, CPU usage is very low.  Disc activity will also be low as this still isn't much data to write.  I run it with win2k, ASIO drivers, and Kristal to record (freeware).

Can be had for $200 used, $275 new.  USB bus powered but external is possible.  Don't know what the power draw is but it doesn't seem to cut my laptop life much.  Unscientifcally I'd say I went from 4 hours of power (w/self powered UA-5) to 3.5 hours with the A62.

The main catch with multichannel audio interfaces is that you need to control gain properly in front of the device.  i.e. it takes line level signals and doesn't have any knobs to turn for more or less gain.  So if I'm recording the board and don't have a cooperative soundperson who's willing to turn the matrix output up or down, then I run the UA-5 in the chain just so I can control the levels.

Feel free to ask questions - not many people seem to have these as most tapers just do two track.  I got it after doing one too many sbd/mic mixes with sources clocked differently.  Makes life much easier when you don't have to deal with time drift.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com