Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D100  (Read 177148 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-D100
« Reply #315 on: April 30, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »
I would say the jury is out on the preamps not just digital-input

The AD section is much better then the m10, D1, and D50 as it offers up to 24/192 and DSD64

Personally I could care less about the internal mics or internal preamps - there is only one hand held recorder I would buy for it's internal preamps and that is the Sonosax minir82 - all the rest are cost focused designed preamps and are not going to be Pro level (the D1 may be an exception as sony didn't hold back on it)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline 1984

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #316 on: April 30, 2014, 11:21:25 AM »
Thanks for the input guys..I'm primarily interested in these units for their portability and the fact that I don't need to pack mics, cables, stands, cases, et al. just to make a decent recording of something. but throughout this thread I've become curious about the results I might achieve through external mics..I have a few nice ones laying around.

Sounds like people have a lot of different reasons for why these units will or won't work for them. With returning the d100, I did feel a sense of regret that I was forgoing some of the more modern AD stuff mentioned below, in favor of technology from almost a decade ago. Assuming the unit I had was not defective, if Sony were to address the SPL issue in a future update, I'd be all about the d100.
Until then, I suppose...I didn't plan to do much DSD recording to begin with.

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #317 on: April 30, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »
Thanks for the input guys..I'm primarily interested in these units for their portability and the fact that I don't need to pack mics, cables, stands, cases, et al. just to make a decent recording of something.
---

So why not try the D50 or M10?

Noam

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #318 on: April 30, 2014, 03:39:56 PM »
Guys, would you please recommend a good XLR to mini jack adapter suitable for the D100 -- preferably on Photo Video? I'd like to use it to connect dynamic mics to the D100.
Thanks.

Offline 1984

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #319 on: April 30, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
Thanks for the input guys..I'm primarily interested in these units for their portability and the fact that I don't need to pack mics, cables, stands, cases, et al. just to make a decent recording of something.
---

So why not try the D50 or M10?

Noam

Good question...I was considering bringing that stuff up, but didn't presume anyone to be interested.

I was very close to going with the D50 this time instead of D1, if for the only reason you can still find new backstock of D50 from Japan or Korea on ebay. I think its impossible to find a new D1 in box, at least it would be very rare. It was not my first preference to buy a used D1, but the seller has a good reputation for being honest and trustworthy. The price and condition description were right. 

I have owned a D50 in the past before my first D1. I know it is a solid unit, and sound-wise there is not enough difference between it and the D1 to base a decision off of. But there are a few minor things I prefer on the D1 hardware side which I feel suit my needs better. Nit-picky personal things..

I don't like how the D50 has one input knob for both channels. I do tend to set those levels independently of one another based on the angle of the unit from the source. I was glad to see the d100 inherited that feature from the D1.

This one is hard to describe...I don't like how the D50 replaced the D1s "pivoting head" mic design with an adjustable x-y spread for each mic. I tend to find that the tight x-y stereo config yields better results no matter what the source (personally), so I don't mind sacrificing the adjustable x-y feature with D1. I much prefer the "pivoting head" design for setting recording levels for my own performances when I am alone. I find it very convenient to be able to point the mics at myself (the source) tilt the D1 down towards the ground, and then pop the mics up level with me. This way I can still see the meters from where I am sitting from as I play (they are upside down obviously), and I can adjust if needed while holding an instrument. You cant do that with the d50 or d100. You need to guess at the recording levels, record a bit, stop, walk around to the other side of the unit, listen back and check the levels, make adjustments, etc..just because you cant see the meters while sitting in front of the recorder. I hope that one makes sense because its a big one in my mind.     

Lastly, I don't prefer the optical input found on all models besides the D1. None of my mixers feature optical outs (I had a DAT once that did..) so the 1/8" stereo input on the D1 makes it more compatible with my studio gear if my objective is to use the D1 for transferring line level audio from say a 1/2" tape machine via mixer. I never use it for that, but its a good option in theory.   

There might be more, but those are the main reasons.

I've never looked too closely at the M10, but I did hear that it was a little noisier than the other three units...so that plus all the above for the M10.

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #320 on: April 30, 2014, 08:27:01 PM »
Guys, would you please recommend a good XLR to mini jack adapter suitable for the D100 -- preferably on Photo Video? I'd like to use it to connect dynamic mics to the D100.
Thanks.

You mean a Y cable? I just did a search last week and found a few on Amazon (for example - http://tinyurl.com/l7s345u - there are others).

But - this means unbalancing the connection. Is this such a straightforward issue as just another cable? It doesn't require a (possibly expensive) box like the SONY XLR-1?

Noam

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #321 on: April 30, 2014, 11:17:11 PM »
Thanks.

You mean a Y cable? I just did a search last week and found a few on Amazon (for example - http://tinyurl.com/l7s345u - there are others).

But - this means unbalancing the connection. Is this such a straightforward issue as just another cable? It doesn't require a (possibly expensive) box like the SONY XLR-1?

Noam

Yes, it seems that such a cable would work -- I should give it a thorough look. I just want a cable/adapter to connect dynamic mics (Beyerdynamic M58 and Sennheiser MD46) to the D100 and don't need phantom power. So far, I haven't been able to locate such a cable on B&H -- do you know if it is offered there?
Admittedly, with such a price point -- and given the not-so-exciting experience of a couple of users here with the D100's internal mics -- I'm still wondering why Sony forewent XLR connections with the D100. If Zoom can incorporate 4 XLR connections into a $400 recorder -- the H6, couldn't Sony add 2 of them to an $800 recorder -- the D100? I really don't buy the price vs feature ratio because, well, at least according to what we've heard so far the difference between the internals of the D100 and, say, Olympus LS-100 are nominal at best. I'm getting the D100 primarily to pair it with my USBPre2 and if Zoom H6 had digital-in, I wouldn't hesitate to get it -- what the H6 offers with its internal mics I get with my Olympus LS-100 and their preamps are more or less equal. I need digital-in which, as far as available products are concerned, only the D100 and the DR-100MKII offer and I don't like Tascam's product here either. Sadly, low-output dynamic mics which I mentioned in this post (especially Beyer M58) don't work very well with the LS-100 or the DR-100MKII.

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #322 on: May 01, 2014, 01:07:35 AM »
The D50 has a digital input and it words great with the USBpre2.
I don't know how you are going to do better than a D50 with a USBpre2 unless you go to a Nagra or Sonosax, I suppose.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #323 on: May 01, 2014, 02:25:07 AM »
The D50 has a digital input and it words great with the USBpre2.
I don't know how you are going to do better than a D50 with a USBpre2 unless you go to a Nagra or Sonosax, I suppose.

You are absolutely right about the D50. But it's no longer available -- at least from major retailers, in online shops and with acceptable warranties. Even if it's within reach (not in my region), the price difference between the D50 and the D100 is rather minimal.

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #324 on: May 01, 2014, 09:46:23 AM »
Good point.  Unless you are savings hundreds of dollars - if you are going digital in - get the D100.   If for anything, the fact that the storage capability is much better (i.e. larger internal storage and larger external card capacity.)

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #325 on: May 01, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »
Good point.  Unless you are savings hundreds of dollars - if you are going digital in - get the D100.   If for anything, the fact that the storage capability is much better (i.e. larger internal storage and larger external card capacity.)

I've also considered Tascam DR-100MKII and Marantz PMD661MKII which have digital-in, but something mysterious makes me gravitate towards the D100. Perhaps since I already have the USBPre2, I don't feel the need to utilize XLR/preamp capabilities on something which is, in effect, inferior to USBPre2 -- my favorite.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #326 on: May 01, 2014, 03:54:53 PM »
Guys, I've found a very interesting new recording which demonstrates the capabilities of the D100's internal mics. It's worth listening: https://soundcloud.com/therecordist/sony-pcm-d100-trains

Offline Egor

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #327 on: May 01, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »
Guys, I've found a very interesting new recording which demonstrates the capabilities of the D100's internal mics. It's worth listening: https://soundcloud.com/therecordist/sony-pcm-d100-trains

Thank you! Do you know, is there some vocals/guitar recordings on d100 in the internet? Haven't find any

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #328 on: May 02, 2014, 03:14:01 AM »

Thank you! Do you know, is there some vocals/guitar recordings on d100 in the internet? Haven't find any

Not that I know of.

Offline Mike Davis

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #329 on: May 07, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »
Optical out is pcm only - I don't know if the d100 allows DSD audio (converting to PCM first) out of the optical output though

You're right!  It took a Sony Pro support representative one day short of three weeks to answer my question!  Today he has finally received a solid reply from Sony Japan, saying that the PCM-D100's Optical Out does not support DSD2.8 playback.  Its Line Out does (using the internal DAC), as does the Headphone Out, of course.

So, the question for people who want to use the PCM-D100 as a portable audio player, now becomes:  How good is the internal, proprietary DAC (for use with Line Out to an external portable headphone amp)? 

I fear it might not be any better than my Sony PCM-M10's proprietary DAC - which is somewhat lacking in mids energy, a little bright, and ever so slightly (very slightly) grainy in the treble (again, via Line Out to an external amp). 

I was hoping to use Optical Out to an external portable DAC and amp of my choice - I can still do that, but not for playing DSD2.8 files.

OK...  back to discussions of recording capability (instead of playback).

:)

Mike

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com