Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D - modification discussion  (Read 76859 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D - modification discussion
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2015, 09:40:25 AM »
I just used my JWMod 70D to record a marching band show for the first time:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=169429.msg2164348#msg2164348

The previous post in that thread is the the same excerpts from the same band at the previous show, where I used FP24 > M10 with a wider spacing.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online voltronic

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2015, 09:41:54 PM »
FYI to any considering a mod (if any such people exist):

While investigating the opamps used in the newly announced DR-701D and comparing against the LME49720MA used in the JWMod for the 70D, I saw that the 49720 has been designated end-of-life, so they will soon be unavailable.  Currently lots in stock at Mouser.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2015, 07:31:53 PM »
One thing that I am resoundingly unimpressed by is the USB connection for power.

Its nothing about the unit itself...I just hate that flimsy connector...

I never use the USB for transfer - only power.

So - mod wish...some other connector!

I'm fine with losing USB transfer in favor of more robust power connection...since we'll almost always be running this deck off externals.

I know this will mean a custom cable...but I'm ok with that too.

Online voltronic

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2015, 08:47:27 PM »
One thing that I am resoundingly unimpressed by is the USB connection for power.

Its nothing about the unit itself...I just hate that flimsy connector...

I never use the USB for transfer - only power.

So - mod wish...some other connector!

I'm fine with losing USB transfer in favor of more robust power connection...since we'll almost always be running this deck off externals.

I know this will mean a custom cable...but I'm ok with that too.

Never thought the microUSB was any flimsier than that same connection on my cell phones or any other things that use it.  I highly recommend a right-angle cable if you're not using one already - doesn't stick out much and feels much more secure.  I have copied the same battery and cable setup recommended by Groovon here, and it's completely solid for me.  The cable stays plugged in except when doing transfers, for which I use the longer cable that came with the 70D.  He actually found this other cable since then which only requires one bend rather than two.  I have stuck with the first one. 

If you're not sticking the battery right underneath the unit and instead have it somewhere else in your bag, you'll want a right-angle microUSB that goes the other way.  When I did that, I used this cable that sticks out and then reaches to another compartment in the bag where the battery lives.

I'm sure some enterprising person could grant your wish and drill a hole to put a hirose connector on this thing, but it seems like way overkill, and the cable will cost as much or more than the battery.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2015, 09:58:29 PM »
The micro connector, believe it or not, has a higher cycle rating than full size.  I have read complaints from some android tablet users that the micro usb failed after coming loose from the circuit board on their tablets.  I've never seen a similar complaint about the one on the 70d, but it suggests that we ought to be careful about inserting and removing these things.

Low tech and pretty permanent "solution" would be to glue the cable in place.  That urethane stuff they use to hold car windshields or 3m's marine rated adhesive sealant isn't going to turn loose easily.  When the cable goes bad, you'll be cutting it loose with a razor knife.   
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:09:47 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2015, 09:39:58 PM »
Rather than ask this question in the main thread, I thought I'd ask it here. What does everyone think of the sound of the stock unit? Compared to the M10? Really thinking about getting the Busman mod. My decks been working fine with the PNY Elite and I have so little invested in this thing after selling off SF11, I'm figuring why not get the mod. Even if it isn't a major improvement, I like the way Busman DR70D sounds.  :P

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2015, 10:02:50 PM »
Go for it!!  How much does the mod cost?  I also use a PNY Elite in my deck and it has worked great.  There have been several reports of zero issue with the PNY Elite cards even though they aren't on the approved list. 

Rather than ask this question in the main thread, I thought I'd ask it here. What does everyone think of the sound of the stock unit? Compared to the M10? Really thinking about getting the Busman mod. My decks been working fine with the PNY Elite and I have so little invested in this thing after selling off SF11, I'm figuring why not get the mod. Even if it isn't a major improvement, I like the way Busman DR70D sounds.  :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:04:32 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Online voltronic

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2015, 10:26:19 PM »
I can't speak to the Busman mod, but the total cost for me of the JWMod including parts, labor, and shipping both ways was under $140.  And I'm glad I had it done - I definitely hear an improvement in clarity on the classical recordings I do.  With the stock 70D, I would get better sound with FP24 > M10, but with the mod I think direct into the 70D might now have the edge.  The FP24 can still do higher gain with much lower noise (higher than I ever need though).

See posts 108 and 109 here for samples of the most recent recording I made with my modded deck.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2015, 11:50:57 PM »
I can't speak to the Busman mod, but the total cost for me of the JWMod including parts, labor, and shipping both ways was under $140.  And I'm glad I had it done - I definitely hear an improvement in clarity on the classical recordings I do.  With the stock 70D, I would get better sound with FP24 > M10, but with the mod I think direct into the 70D might now have the edge.  The FP24 can still do higher gain with much lower noise (higher than I ever need though).

See posts 108 and 109 here for samples of the most recent recording I made with my modded deck.

I have the Busman mod on mine. I've never compared it to a stock unit, but am generally pleased with the sound. Here's a 4 channel mix of the mk41v pair (DIN) and a mk6[figure 8] + mk3 [omni] M/S pair: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=583755

Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2015, 08:55:01 AM »

The stock unit holds it own with the m10.  Voltronics mod sounds like it smoothed out his piano recording when I listened to it.  Its subtle.  Will have to listen to Noahs when I get time. 

I would only do the mod on a known glitch free unit or get one with busmans warranty. 

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2016, 02:53:48 PM »
I have posted this on the FAQ page.

Where's that FAQ page?

Online voltronic

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2016, 06:10:39 PM »
The circuit manual is available?

Online voltronic

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2016, 09:51:54 PM »
The circuit manual is available?

If you're talking about a block diagram like you can find at the end of the manuals of some other recorders, then no, it's not published.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2016, 06:22:52 AM »
No, I mean a service manual with all the schematics.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com