Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: microSDHC cards -- are class 2 good enough for audio recording?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline TaperedMind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
on an M10?

RSVP  Thanks

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Re: microSDHC cards -- are class 2 good enough for audio recording?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »
I contacted Roland / Edirol to ask this very question when I was researching cards for my R09HR.  I had read here that something about the SDHC cards actually make it better for us to use the lower classes.  If I recall correctly, it went something like this:  The higher class cards are better suited to do big, fast transfers of sudden expansions of memory, whereas the lower classes round out their curve to write a little less speedily.  That all having been said, I have been using two Class 2 Kingstons for about a year with no problems on either one (my original post).  For more info, I recommend contacting your device's manufacture and researching the "Recording Media" threads: http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=59.0
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:05:32 PM by travelinbeat »
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline TaperedMind

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:02:20 AM »
many thanks, travelinbeat, for all the response.  (I couldn't find more specific info at manufacturers sites, just # gb and card makers that they've tested, without referring to class.)  And, thanks to your suggestion, I browsed the section here on card media.  Your comment was the most helpful one I found.

It seems reasonable, doesn't it, to go with thinking that if class 2 works on SD with Roland / Edirol it then it is likely the same would hold for using class 2 with microSD?

Offline jamesmcn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:20:57 PM »
FWIW, I've been using a Kingston 8GB class 4 MicroSDHC card on my M10 without any trouble.

Offline TaperedMind

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
Thanks, jamesmcn.  That's good to know.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com