Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Kingston SD card survives washer and dryer  (Read 5375 times)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Kingston SD card survives washer and dryer
« on: September 06, 2007, 05:45:01 PM »
That says it... one day I put one in my pocket following a switch... forgot about it.  My wife pulls it out of the dryer lint trap. :P

I think Ouch... it's toast.  Actually, it's fine.  Wav files are even still good.  I reformatted for good measure, but no problem. ;D

I bought 5 of these 2Gb Kingston chips for $15 each a while ago when I got my R-09 (before it would use 4 gb chips), and I've never had a problem with any of them.  I know some people have had trouble with some brands of cards... don't be afraid to try Kingston.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Kingston SD card survives washer and dryer
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:37:14 PM »
I had two SONY proprietary mem chips and a Chinese knockoff go through the washer dryer routine at my house, too.  There was no data on them and other than being cleaner they were none the worse for wear.  It may be a function more of the format than the manufacturer.

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:49:02 PM »
I just found my 4GB SD card in my hamper (with clean clothes). Not sure if it had just fallen in, or went through the wash. I haven't had a chance to see if it works, but it's nice to know it could have gone through the wash and survived.

They are getting so cheap, it's not a big deal, still I'd rather it work than have to buy a new one.

+T for more good luck (as you apparently just used up some).
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 06:21:39 AM »
Ive heard of laundering money, but come on....memory cards!  I am amazed that they would still work!  Good news, I could certainly see me doing something like that!  :o
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 10:08:25 AM »
My sd card went three times through a complete washing cycle. After that the sound of the recorded music was *very* clean.  :yack:

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:54:18 AM »
That says it... one day I put one in my pocket following a switch... forgot about it.  My wife pulls it out of the dryer lint trap. :P

I think Ouch... it's toast.  Actually, it's fine.  Wav files are even still good.  I reformatted for good measure, but no problem. ;D

I bought 5 of these 2Gb Kingston chips for $15 each a while ago when I got my R-09 (before it would use 4 gb chips), and I've never had a problem with any of them.  I know some people have had trouble with some brands of cards... don't be afraid to try Kingston.

Ha...glad your card survived a wash behind the ears. 

There are tapers here on TS.com that have advised people not to ruin a recording by setting an umbrella over your mics when it rains because, according to them, rain (gag cough) won't hurt the microphone.  They'd LOVE to hear your story!   

Ha...maybe they could record the sound of a washing machine from the inside...with their mics and your Kingston card!!!

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:56:44 AM »
My sd card went three times through a complete washing cycle. After that the sound of the recorded music was *very* clean.  :yack:

Throw in a bounce sheet and you won't have any static either.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 03:16:25 AM »
Dang. Tried my card today. No workie. Put it in my camera and it takes a picture, but when you try to view it, it says something like, Invalid JPEG Format. Tried to format the card a few times. No dice.

At least they're dirt cheap now. Time for another.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com