Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD2K+ Settings  (Read 8982 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AD2K+ Settings
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 02:20:30 PM »
do a test at home feeding a signal to your pre.  crank up the pre as high as it'll go (so it's distorting)  and see where it hits on the ad2k at various settings.  if it only hits -2 on the ad2k at a setting, that setting is too hot on the ad2k and you want to turn it down.  i'd probably run at +18 max.  +14 isn't a bad idea

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 04:48:09 AM »
Looks like setting the input level to +14 did the trick.

Wav form shows no sign of brickwalling, I was able to knock twelve more decibels off the preamp gain, and the levels observed on meters and such all seemed to be in line with one another...

Thx for all of the help.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
So if I run this unit with a Lunatec v2 in front, which has balanced outputs, will I damage something because of the polarity error in the ad2k? I will make a pair of cables that will address this issue in the long run, but I would like to run the gear sooner than the cables will arrive. Thanks for any input.
-macdaddy ++

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
no.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
no.
No, I won't hurt any equipment..?

Or

No, don't do it without special cables..?

Thanks.

-macdaddy ++

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 09:25:34 PM »
No you won't hurt anything at all.  You'll just get a recording inverted polarity .
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »
The v2 manual says that the unit's output is +27dB. So I should set the ad2k+ to it's highest input setting of +24dB, right?

Thanks, in advance.
-macdaddy ++

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »
That'll work.  You'll be getting all your singal amplification from the V2 instead of making up gain in the AD2k, plus and metering on the V2 will be close and usable.  The V2's meters will read 3dB higher than the a level hitting the ADC, so -3dBFS on the V2 should = cliping on the AD2k.

That's how the metering would work with the V3, I forget how the V2 meters work but imagine it's the same.  I haven't used the AD2k, but if you use it's meters instead of the ones on the Grace, then the metering will accurately reflect the level to teh ADC without any mental conversion.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com