Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting Back In The Game! Couple Quick Questions...  (Read 10151 times)

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Getting Back In The Game! Couple Quick Questions...
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »
imo, behind location, mics will have a much greater effect on sound than any of the recorders (or mic cables) you mentioned -- I'd focus on your mic setup and once you see what's left of your budget decide on what recorder to use.  Think of active mics as being similar to your chopped naks -- with an active setup, you don't have a mic body on your stand and therefore the mics are smaller/lighter/less obtrusive. Back "in the day," this was accomplished by separating the capsule from the mic body with a wire.  The PFAs referenced above take it a step farther by converting phantom power into the current needed to power the mics and does away with the mic body (with schoeps, you'd run capsules>nbob cables (or the schoeps kcy cables that the nbob cables were based on) >pfa > mic in xlrs on your recorder. The IPA (or nbox), also substitutes for the mic preamp, letting you run capsules>nbob cables >IPA > line in on your deck (letting you run a smaller deck like a sony m10 that doesn't provide phantom power).  Result, a setup that can fit in a small fannypack but provide VERY good, clean, detailed recordings. 

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 05:02:38 PM »
Personally I think the mics are the most important and first decision.  You may hear from some folks that mics are not necessary but since you have taken to trusting your ears you obviously hear the difference between the different options.   The recorder is the least critical component to the sound in my opinion although some of the options you may consider run the mics directly into the recorder making it an important decision point.   

If you plan on running a lot of stealth recordings it makes sense to take into account the size and amount of metal since sneaking gear in is a bit more work than in your dad's day.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
Part of what I like about the Schoeps setup is that everything has great resale value. I leapt in without worrying too much if I didn't like it. I started out with a pair of mk41 caps, which IMO are really versatile...indoors, outdoors, far, close. I bought them new but they do pop up occasionally used, the 41s do seem to be the hardest to find used. But even new you're gonna get back 80-85% if they're matched and in nice shape. I think mk4 is a really versatile option too and easier to locate used. Then bought a used nbox and a new pair of nbobs from Nicky C., who is great to deal with. Added a used m10 to get me rolling. Once I decided I was good with Schoeps I added a PFA to be able to connect caps>nBob active cables>PFA>Marantz 661 for another flavor when I don't need to hide the gear, and a pair of used 4v caps. I also went this way because I'm on a weight limit due to extensive spinal surgery and my setup is well under the 25 pounds I can carry.

I don't have my IPA yet but I love that it's small and allows me to run my m10 for a super tiny setup, even smaller than with the nbox. Jon makes good stuff, like the PFA I expect clean transparent sound.

I think Neumann km140s with actives would be my second choice right now, it does so happen there is a pair for a screaming price in the yard sale. Add a p48 xlr in recorder and a great setup that will sound great. Won't be as tiny as the Schoeps setup, but I've stealthed a lot of shows running PFA>661 in my pocket. Just takes a little more care.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:51:03 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline tapjunkie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »
My friend's Neumann KM140 set and V3 would get you off to a good start. It includes the active cables and the V3 provides mic preamp and A>D.  That would leave you money for a small recorder or one of the 680 units still for sale.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com