Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

What multi-track software are you using?

(1/7) > >>

ScottT:
I just picked up a 4-channel recorder and am realizing that SoundForge - which I have used since version 4.5 came bundled with my ZA2 soundcard! - isn't up to the task of handling multi-track recordings.   Can anyone recommend what they use or provide an overview what's out there?  I've seen folks mention using Audition, Reaper, and Audacity.  I'm sure they provide the same essential functionality but must have pros and cons.

I run Windows and only perform basic editing other than using a VST plug-in (Waves L3 Multimaximizer).  I work in IT so I'm not afraid of discovering new software...

ScoobieKW:
Reaper, hands down best for price.

Non destructive multitrack. VST host. Good bundled plugins. Free, uncrippled trial. $70 purchase price.

I've used Audacity, don't care for it. Own Soundforge, find myself in Reaper unless I need a pencil tool.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: ScoobieKW on July 02, 2016, 09:51:02 PM ---Reaper, hands down best for price.

Non destructive multitrack. VST host. Good bundled plugins. Free, uncrippled trial. $70 purchase price.

I've used Audacity, don't care for it. Own Soundforge, find myself in Reaper unless I need a pencil tool.

--- End quote ---

Reaper, +1000.  I've been using it for years, and like it so much better than any other DAW I've tried.  Besides the reasons Scoobie mentioned, it's highly customizable to your needs (many skins and extensions out there), graphical routing matrix to send any input to any output, and best of all, no limitations on track counts (it can do whatever your hardware can handle).

Speaking of extensions, I've recently come across this guide which has been saving me a ton of time using the SWS Extensions for Reaper.  Don't let the "classical music" scare you off - this is pretty much good info for anyone who does "concert" recordings:
http://urosbaric.com/reaper-classical-music-editing

One thing that the blog posts above don't mention about SWS Extensions is how much they speed up track splits and exports for a concert recording. 

1. Drop markers in your timeline for track in/out points and name the markers with track names.
2. Extensions > Marker List (see right window in screenshot below).  You can click on any marker to jump to that point. 
3. Right-click in the Marker List and select Convert Markers to Regions, it creates region for each track between consecutive markers. 
4. File > Render, and make your bounds Project Regions.  It then renders all of your tracks. 
5. You can even use wildcards in the File Name box.  For example: $regionnumber $region will automatically number the tracks by the region number and auto name by the name you gave them.  I prefer to just use $region and I make the marker titles have the track number in them (ex. 01 First Song 02 Second Song etc.), because my markers are usually placed out of order and I don't bother fixing them.

You'll notice for the project I'm showing that there are bunch of unnamed markers.  This was a choir concert of various groups with applause, talking, transitions between groups which I edited out, to produce tracks of just music.  If you're doing the typical concert taper thing of documenting the whole event, you wouldn't have those.

Ronmac:
Of all the Daws I use I recommend Reaper to anyone looking for an inexpensive and powerful tool. It is also the DAW I use the most.

goodcooker:
Wavelab 6. You may even have it already :D PM for details.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version