Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CEP question  (Read 1338 times)

Offline snakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
CEP question
« on: May 01, 2006, 09:37:26 PM »
I am looking for some advice.  I taped a show over the weekend, and the Bass drum was extremely loud in comparison to the rest of the band.  I taped the show somewhat low because the bass drum would put me in the red.  Now, how do I adjust the bass drum, without manually lowering the bass drum beat.  I am a newbie, so any help would be appreciated.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: CEP question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 05:39:43 AM »
Bass drum being too 'over-the-top' for normal speaker playback levels is a common problem when recording live sound performances.  Usually, reducing the bass frequencies below <90 cycles allows better sounding balance for the recording.  CEP has several types of graphic type filters, FFT filter, and scientific type filter choices.

My personal preference is to use the scientific filter in 'curves mode' and set the filter to Butterworth 1 pole 'high pass' and adjust the pole frequency to anywhere from 70-to-160 cycles and listen in 'review' mode if the reduction sounds good for your tastes before commiting modifying the recording. 

You can increase the bass reduction by selecting 2-pole for more bass reduction below the pole frequency, but for my tastes, only the 1 pole (6 dB/octave slope) sounds natural enough and usually reduces the bass sufficiently when the filter frequency is set high enough to produce the desired low frequency balance.

After you have reduced the over-bearing bass to acceptable levels, then use the 'amplify' feature to either amplify the entire file by some amount, or easier to just select 'normalize' to automatically bring the highest recorded peaks up to near maximum (-0.1db is good) possible amplitude.

Then save viewed file as an edited version for making your CD
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline snakes

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: CEP question
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 08:47:10 AM »
Thanks,  I will try that.   Again, this re-affirms why I read this site most everyday.

John

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com