Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: the Klipsch 2.0s arrived!  (Read 2329 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
the Klipsch 2.0s arrived!
« on: December 23, 2005, 01:35:57 PM »
Ok, I KNOW these are at the  bottom of the gene pool audiophilewise but coming up from the utter garbage I've been using they are a HUGE improvement - sound really good. Since with my Dell coupon I got them for a grand total of $24.99 (there was even free shipping this week) I really can't complain AT ALL. And of course, I am (again) horrified to hear how much I HAVEN'T been hearing with the old gear. The Audigy and these speakers are just light years ahead of the old setup.

I'm sure they're only the first in what will no doubt be a series of upgrades over the years, but it's a  good start, especially for what I paid!

Thanks all - I'm learning so much and you are definitely starting me on the path towards audiophilia!!
DPA4060
R09

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: the Klipsch 2.0s arrived!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 01:45:23 PM »
Congratulations on the first step towards a debilitating adiction.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 02:29:55 PM »
You're not kidding.

And, in fact, it would appear I spoke to soon - I LOVE the detail these things provide which is why I posted with excitement,  but <sob> while they're fine in the first loud passages I used as tests, other  full orch-loud-operatic places (particularly, ahem, TENORS ;)) are blowing them out, which I can't live with.  Sigh. 

You're right - addiction. It has begun....!!  I've gone from elation to disappointment in the space of an hour... Gonna play around with positioning and see if it's a sympathetic vibration rather than actual overload, but I fear not. Guess I have to find something else at Dell that may fit the bill!

DPA4060
R09

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »
(xpost from other thread)

Happy update:  RTFM ...

Ok, so there IS no manual with this, but I didn't realise until I started poking around in the settings on the computer itself that the Audigy is set by default to 5.1.  I changed it to 2, tweaked it around a bit AND (this is also important) turned the volume DOWN on the computer and up on the speakers and they performed VERY well.  Only the tiniest bit of colouration at room-shaking volume of very loud upper-midrange, and if I readjust the computer volume/speaker volume balance in those places I can get rid of 99.9% of it that way too.

So, revert, to position A - they're GREAT for cheap(ish) speakers!

DPA4060
R09

Offline rectech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 01:46:22 PM »
Great to hear that the speakers are working out.

What about the balance problem you mentioned last time?

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 04:00:43 PM »
turned the volume DOWN on the computer and up on the speakers and they performed VERY well.  Only the tiniest bit of colouration at room-shaking volume

as i was reading the thread i wondered why you had distortion... now it makes sense.

haven't demo'ed many computer speakers, but these sound fairly good to me... and loud is no problem... in fact, even tho i've got a pair of Klipschorns that i literally shake the cement slab foundation with until the sun comes up... i've only gotten a complaint from my neighbors one time when I was tracking some real good shows in the dark hours using the 2.0's... go figure  ^-^

but heed the warnings on that elusive quest for fidelity... before you know it, you'll be heading down to the bad side of town in search of a silver IC fix instead of putting food on the table for your wife and chill'n  ;D
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 11:14:28 AM »
turned the volume DOWN on the computer and up on the speakers and they performed VERY well.  Only the tiniest bit of colouration at room-shaking volume

as i was reading the thread i wondered why you had distortion... now it makes sense.

Yeah, n00b learning curve (duh).  And now that I've figured out that bit of basic knowledge, I'm more impressed every time I use 'em.  Of course, now that I can hear how much mooorrrreee there is out there, I'm already thinking about where it can all go next!    Scary.  I have somehow avoided this side of the music experience for many (too many) years but I'm catching up fast :) 

but heed the warnings on that elusive quest for fidelity... before you know it, you'll be heading down to the bad side of town in search of a silver IC fix instead of putting food on the table for your wife and chill'n  ;D

Atually, at the moment I'm saving sale of the husband and the child for a pair DPA4060s, but maybe if I get a REALLY good price on them ........    ;)  (kidding! KIDDING!!)
DPA4060
R09

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 03:03:38 PM »
Atually, at the moment I'm saving sale of the husband and the child for a pair DPA4060s, but maybe if I get a REALLY good price on them ........   ;) (kidding! KIDDING!!)

chuckle... naw... husband's ain't got much market value  :P

should have looked closer... didn't realize it was a gal that was into good sounds... and records to boot!... and a wise ass sense of humor...  sooooo rare!

glad you're onboard this looney bin... you get my first ever +t... you got a twin sister?  ;D
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline Burnt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 09:15:05 AM »
Glad to hear you're enjoying them, I've heard that the 2.1 system is great.   ;D

Just a word of warning though, don't ever buy the Klipsch 5.1 system or you'll just have tons of problems.  I've had the amp on the subwoofer replaced under warrenty twice and then gave up when it went the third time.   :'(  This is an extremely common problem with the design of the amp and you can go to the klipsch forums to see many others suffer with this problem.  Not what I would expect from a suppossed high end audio company.   ???
AKG C4000 > P-mod UA-5 > NJB3 (48KHz) > SVU-2
DPA 4061 (x1, hat mounted) > MPS 6010 > P-mod UA-5 >  NJB3 (48KHz)

Looking for another 4061 or even a pair of 406x mics to replace my single.  Please help me stealth in stereo.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 11:43:32 PM »
i picked up the Klipsch THX 2.1 setup as an open box at best buy.
i have to say they sound really really good for computer speakers. 

Not terrible specs either

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
31Hz - 20kHz 

POWER HANDLING:
FTC Rated Per Satellite: 55 watts/channel @ ≤ 1% THD, 200Hz - 1KHz (Note: all channels driven)
FTC Rated Subwoofer: 50 watts @ ≤ 7% THD, 40 - 100 Hz
Max Burst Power*: 200 watts @ ≤ 1% THD (Note: all channels driven)
*Maximium Burst Power indicates the actual power this amplifier will deliver to the speakers under normal operating conditions. While the FTC power rating indicates power available on a continuous, long-term basis, multi-channel systems do not rely on that type of power. Instead, the amplifier is called upon to deliver large, short-term bursts of power to be able to support today’s digital music, games and movie formats. In addition to the required FTC power rating, we have provided the maximum burst output as a better indication of the product’s true performance. 

MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT:
106dB SPL 

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY:
HF: 5kHz 

TWEETER:
0.75" Poly compression driver 

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:
90° x 40° MicroTractrix® Horn 

WOOFER:
3" long-throw fiber-composite cone 

SUBWOOFER:
One side-firing 6.5" (16.51cm) long-throw fiber composite cone 

AMPLIFIER:
Digital/Linear A/B amplifier; discrete MOSFET output power section 

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:
Satellites: ABS
Subwoofer: MDF 

ENCLOSURE TYPE:
Satellites—sealed
Subwoofer—bass reflex 

INPUTS:
MP3 two-channel soundcard miniplug 

OUTPUTS:
Headphone 
DIMENSIONS:

Satellite: 8.5" (21.59cm) x 4.2" (10.67cm) x 5.67" (14.4cm)
Subwoofer: 9.5" (24.13cm) x 9.8" (24.9cm) x 10.2" (25.9cm) 

WEIGHT:
Satellite: 2.1 lbs. (0.95kg)
Subwoofer: 16 lbs. (7.26kg) 

ACCESSORIES:
SAT 2 Stand
WB-1 Bracket
(each sold separately) 

FINISHES:
Black 

VOLTAGE:
110/120 VAC 

EXPORT VOLTAGE:
230 VAC 
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com