Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Would this fry my DPA's? also, comping pre's & A/D's  (Read 1589 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Would this fry my DPA's? also, comping pre's & A/D's
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
i'd like to do a V3 pre and A/D comp with an Oade R-44 pre and A/D comp using one pair of DPA's.

i've seen people mention the best way to go about it is to have some xlr splitters to go from both pres (four) to the mics (two)...  but the only way to make it a legit comp and test both pre's is to have phantom power on both units. 

would powering two mics from four pres harm the mics?  how would it be a good comp if you're basically mixing the power of both pres to the same mics?  it doesn't seem to me that would be a conclusive test and you're actually adding another variable to the test by mixing the two pres to the same mics at the same time.

i'm thinking two separate tests are the way to go.  same mics, same location in a quiet room and play some dynamic music on a good system... like a movie theater if you have access or something the like.  record for a good 10 minutes, then repeat with the other pre and a/d...

thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:04:10 AM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Re: Would this fry my DPA's? also, comping pre's & A/D's
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:34:40 AM »
You won't hurt your mics, I have done a comp like this.  My understanding is that the phantom from both units won't let you do a true a/b; one pre's phantom can change the sound of the other source or something like that.  It won't hurt anything to try this test.  However, to do a true a/b you need to get a battery box to provide the phantom and run the splitter behind that.  The a/b you were talking about should also work. 

I have both a v2 and OCM R-44.  First let me say that I love my V2 and would rather run that in front of the OCM R-44.  The OCM R-44 sounds good on it's own and doesn't "need" a pre in front of it.  That being said the V2 has a cleaner more detailed sound while the OCM R-44 has a less detailed and warmer sound.  With DPAs it's just a matter of what flavor you want.  I don't have a golden ear or any formal education with music so that observation is just my 2 cents.   

Good luck with your comp and let us know what you think.
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:36:43 AM »
FYI it should also work with the phantom coming form from only one pre but again not a "true" comp.
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »
i've given this some thought tonight, and i think i have a plan...  i just gotta find a suitable venue and time.  i wonder how much it'd cost to rent a movie theater for an hour after closing time?  $50 to a projectionist?  :)
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com