Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: xy mount large diaphragm and shure a27m  (Read 8295 times)

xerd

• Trade Count: (0)
xy mount large diaphragm and shure a27m
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:32:57 PM »
I've seen a couple of different mount bars built for XY and large diaphragm mics.   Is it possible to use a Shure A27m stereo bar and screw on a "K&M Microphone Bar Dual Mic Holder" (i cant find a model #),  to create an adjustable length XY mount for large diaphragm mics?   I can't see if the threads on the K&M bar would fit the stereo bar?

I'm thinking about mounting 2 c414's and saw a similar build, but it looked like the "extension" bar was fixed length.
-x

xerd

Re: xy mount large diaphragm and shure a27m
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:20:31 PM »
Found the answer to my question on the site.   I don't need to mount large diaphragm stereo mics vertically.   
Just use the a27m and mount horizontal.
http://www.taperssection.com/reference/images/JasonB%20LD%20Mic%20Configs/horizontal%20XY%2090.JPG

cashandkerouac

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:20:14 PM »
cool setup.  but between the mics and the a27 that's a lot of weight at the top of the stand.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
In the past, users here have adapted the A27M for vertical mounting by increasing the space between mic attachment points beyond what is available by simply flipping the rotation sections, by adding a custom spacer of the appropriate length between the rotating sections and a custom length threaded rod to hold it all together.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »
Hello Gutbucket,

I found this on their site :
http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1314/~/using-ksm32%2F44-with-a27m-stereo-adapter

I can imagin what the custom spacer could be like but I am not "Shure"...  ;) Have you an image to point to? Is it easy to find one somewhere?

Thanks.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »
That instruction describes how the parts can be repositioned to arrange the mics horizontally, one over the other, like in your photo.  A custom spacer and threaded rod produces a greater spacing than you can get by doing that.  The spacer goes in the middle, with all three parts on a longer threaded rod.

There must be photos on TS of this.  It's usually done for X/Y LDs Maybe try seaching for the terms "vert" and "LD", since it's often referred to as a "Shure vert-bar".
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
scroll down to post 11 for pics & (correct) part #s are in the first post

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=66069.0

a little black paint on the PVC and it will be difficult to tell it's a DIY mod
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:13:57 PM by flipp »

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
Thanks to all of you: Gutbucket, flipp & Brian Skalinder!
I am one of the "more visually inclined" and now I see what you mean...  :facepalm:
I just have to find the non metric items in the metric side of the world and... do it!

xerd

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »
From my original post, this is the setup I was thinking about trying....or is it a little flimsy or loose?
http://www.taperssection.com/reference/images/JasonB%20LD%20Mic%20Configs/MS%2090%20side.JPG

But, I would like to make the spacer bracket adjustable.  I saw this bracket, but am not sure if the ends of this bracket were threaded and could actually screw onto one of the a27 mount points.
http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/19/001/234/418/DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_450488.jpg

-x

xerd

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »
As you said, its all been talk about before.  The a27 and pvc vertical design looks like the right way to do it, and the lengths can be changed by cutting a new piece. 
-x

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.196 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com